1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chirping sound (cricket in my dash)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zso, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Zso

Zso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey,

I bought my 3rd gen Prius (2009 EU) two weeks ago and I can hear a strange chirping sound coming from the dash (driver side) driving on the highway. It can be heard on lower speeds too, but it's really random and much much quieter. On high (constant) speeds (120-130 kmh :: 75-80 mph) it become annoying. When cruise control sets the speed the sound appears nearly instantly and stays for a couple of minutes or until I change speed and comes back when speed is set again.

Here is a video, so you could hear it live (noise fades in the last second):

Chirping sound is not new on this forum, but the video was removed from YouTube and I'm not sure if my problem is the same as that one (not to mention that the symptoms are a bit different too). I don't have any technical skills and local service was unable to identify the source of the problem so it'd great to hear from someone who had successfully won a fight with a 'cricket' like mine.

Do you have any tips? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and sorry for my English - it's not my native language, I hope you can still understood my though

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! sorry, i couldn't really hear it. how many km on her?

Zso likes this.
  3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you go to the "Search" function you'll find, in the neighborhood of 200 posts for dash squeaks. They run the gambit. Read though some of them to get an idea what it might be. What I hear seems to be a high frequency, rotating noise like a blower fan bearing.

Zso and bisco like this.
  4. Zso

Zso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the replies!

It's hard to record that voice, that was the best I could do to show you. There's only 110 000 km ~ 68350 miles in this beauty.

Thanks for the tip BZzap. I did use the Search function and I did read many of them but most of them had no (active) video so I could check the noise or the symptoms are different or not the same sound I hear. Finding out the right English word for my problem was the first big challenge for me, but I believe I managed to found it. Dash squeaking seems to be a really common problem with these cars but this is something different :(. I was hoping that creating a new thread could be a nice way to find somebody who had already identified the source of this sound.

My first thought was the same you mentioned: it comes from the fan and that's why I turned them off, but it did not solve my problem and that was the time when I got desperate. This desperation became more and more intense after listening that annoying noise for an hour or so.

I need to test my car a little bit more and find out properly which environmental variables make these sound appear. For now - it only troubles me on the highway.

5. Couch Gnome

Couch Gnome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One

I have a similar issue but havent been able to fix myself. You can hear the same sound early in my video. Here is one of the better answers I found for the issue, as it has a toyota claim number of some sort that might be useful - Chirping/Electrical Noise? | PriusChat. The video that was in that thread was essentially the same as you hear in our videos. There is also a comment in another thread that talks about a similar fix - Occasional high pitch chirp when accelerating between 25-30mph *video* | Page 2 | PriusChat. Again, I've been unable to figure out myself with just this information but I'm not really car guy. Good luck

Zso likes this.
  6. Zso

Zso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the video and confirming that inactive vid showed the same sound as ours! I saw that fix, but I wasn't sure if it's worth trying to do that thing (since I don't know anything about cars). I'll try to understand that in my language, look if I'm able to do it and test it as soon as possible. I'll get back with the results! (I'm not sure how long will it take, but I'm sure it'll take some time, sorry)

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

Zso likes this.
  8. Nick Zimmerman

Nick Zimmerman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you ever figure out a fix for this? I am having the same problem with mine. 2010

9. Jcad22

Jcad22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m getting the same cricket sound from my 2013 Prius. Cricket sound from dash. Typically upon acceleration at 70-80 mpg. Is there a fix I can do?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you post a recording?