1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clean or salvage title prius? In the market for a prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by YellowR6, Mar 17, 2013.

1. YellowR6

YellowR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    delete please. thx.

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That looks like about the going rate in metro Detroit.

3. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Look around the country on Cargurus.com... set the filter to unlimited distance. You'll see that prices on Gen IIIs are pretty close in all areas of the country. You'll find a lower price once in a while... but not often. Think that a well cared for Prius holds its value for quite some time.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would not buy a salvage title vehicle unless you have the expertise and budget to do your own repairs. Salvage title cars essentially have no warranty. (See the warranty booklet for details. You can download them for some newer Priuses at Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Service Manuals.)

Some folks have the time, expertise and inclination to fix wrecked vehicles like I just acquired a new project vehicle | PriusChat. If you don't, steer clear.

Priuses hold their value pretty well. If you want cheaper, you might have to go for a little older like a Gen 2 or look into a Prius c, if its size and compromises are ok w/you.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would not purchase a salvage title vehicle. Such vehicles have been in collisions and the insurance co decided that the cost of repair exceeded the value of the vehicle -- which means at least $15,000 of damage. There's no way for you to know what damage occurred and how it was repaired. The frame might not be straight, and damaged components may not have been replaced.

6. Airrider

Airrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used cars.com but was also searching with cargurus.com I narrowed my search to 2010-2012. Opened the search to include everywhere in the united states. I found one for 13,000 (I asked the dealer for a better price and was able to negotiate $400 off). It had 94,000 miles. It was from a toyota dealer which mad me feel a little better. I had them send more detailed pictures. I flew to Louisiana and just drove it back (East Bay, Antioch). Your absolutely right about prices with San Francisco. Anything under 15,000 is old body style or salvaged. Diving it back to the east bay cost me with flights and hotel for me and my wife an extra thousand, but it was time well spent together. I'd try cars.com. If you have any other questions you can P.M me.