1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning SofTex?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Northernguy, May 29, 2013.

1. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My two big dogs (golden retriever & flat coated retriever) got into the back seat yesterday with muddy feet. I washed off the seat with a sponge and warm soapy water. I was wondering if I could use a leather cleaner or leather restorer on the sof tex. I'm thinking it may change the color or not sink in properly as my leather restorer has a slight greasy feel. Can someone give me ideas as to what worked well to clean and refresh this type of material?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good question. Ask the dealership?

3. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Order a pet cover. It will save your seats. Saved mine.

SCH-I535 ? 2

4. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Taken from Softex Cleaner | PriusChat :

cycledrum, Northernguy and Air_Boss like this.
  5. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since Softex is NOT leather it is called a " Thermoplastic Polyurethane " . I would hesitate to throw a bunch of leather cleaners on it or solutions designed to clean leather.

I would call your dealership and/or Toyota Customer Satisfaction and ask them what is recommended.

This article tells a lot about Softex:

New artificial leather gains increasing Toyota acceptance

Unfortunately only stating that supposedly it has "easier to clean" properties, but not exactly outlining what or how one should clean it.

Northernguy likes this.
  7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Some leather cleaners contain white spirit which could soften the colour pigments on some synthetic or coloured leathers making the colour rub away with wear.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so you're looking for a Softex conditioner. I don't know, but I would NOT put leather conditoner on them. Call Toyota and press them on it. Find out what their dealer detailer has to say. I've met service advisors and techs that are really into detailing, they might have good insight.

You might end up using something closer to a vinyl cleaner / conditioner, but ask around about it.

btw, did an entire motorcycle outfit with Lexol leather cleaner pH and then conditioner, and I must say I am impressed to this point. Gentle cleaning, soft conditioning with a nice feel afterwards. No greasiness or slickness at all. Tons of positive reviews on Amazon, so I'm sticking with Lexol.
    There's other boutique stuff like Leatherique and Leather Honey has tons of good reviews on Amazon, but can get Lexol anywhere. anyhoo...

Orange oil ? No thanks.

9. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer with very good results. It offers mild cleaning, UV protection and leaves no residue on the seats. Plus it can be used on any interior material without leaving an unnatural shine or surface residue.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  10. harold

harold Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five