1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Code 1235 Foreign Object on RF Wheel Sensor - Anyone Experienced This?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rjparker, Apr 22, 2014.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to post this here since the issue happened on my v, and I posted it over there, and the problem is fixed, but the main question went unanswered: has anyone else had this happen?

"This morning my 2012 Prius v's ABS, Skid Control and Tire Pressure indicators all came on at once and would not reset with a restart. I took the car to a dealer who diagnosed "C1235 Foreign Object on RF Wheel Sensor". They removed the right front Hub Bearing and found a thin piece of metal attached to the speed sensor rotor. Unfortunately they claimed this is not covered by the factory warranty, so 3.5 hours and $200 lighter it was fixed. I asked the service adviser if this is a normal occurrence and if I could have cleaned it to resolve. He said, no this is not normal and no I could not have cleaned it as the speed sensor with the piece of metal attached is in a sealed hub. The hub was removed to access the speed sensor, which was then cleaned of the foreign material, and then reassembled."

Questions:
    1. Has this happened before to anyone?
    2. Any speculation on how the "thin piece of metal" got there?
    2. Should this repair, in a "sealed" unit, have been handled as warranty work?

Here's a section of the 04 Prius Manual on the subject:
    link to c1235.pdf

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is more common for the sensor itself to be contaminated or damaged. Here is a recent example:
    The great speed sensor mystery | PriusChat

Since your problem was that a rotor tooth was apparently contaminated, that is a different issue. However I would go back to your dealer's service manager and ask him/her to explain how s/he can trace rotor contamination to your driving usage. What did you do that was so abusive to the car that the rotor was damaged?

If there is no reasonable answer to the question then I would contend that the problem should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.