1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Codes P0A0F and P3191for 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by aperry1971, Jan 9, 2023.

1. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got these codes this morning....

I was backing out of my driveway and the Prius started shuddering then I got the triangle of death (Hybrid system error) and check engine light. Pulled back in the driveway and put the computer on and got these codes.

While checking for the codes I made the engine turn on by turning on the heater to max, engine started shuddering so I shut the heat off. When the computer was done analyzing the Prius I turned the heat on again and no shuddering car ran fine. I cleared all the codes and took the car for a ride and had no issues with it.
    I check the engine oil and it is fine and there was no water in the oil so I assume there is no blown head gasket. Antifreeze's are full so no leaks.

Has this happened to anyone?
    Any ideas on what I should look at?

#1 aperry1971, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mileage? The systems are seeing things it doesn't like .it will happen again

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P3191 is a code from the ECM (the engine control module). It means the engine didn't start. Admittedly, that's not a whole lot to go on—could be any of the usual-suspect reasons why gasoline engines don't start.

The engine might have sounded like it started, because the Prius cranks the engine to start at a speed more like other cars' idle. But the engine never caught and produced more power than the electric motor was putting in to crank it.

P0A0F is just hearsay from another ECU in the car about the same thing. It's the power management control ECU (kind of the orchestra conductor for the car) saying "I don't know why, but I gave the ECM the cue to start the engine, and it didn't happen."

4. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    222925 is the mileage

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh goodness that car is just broken No problem you'll get it.

6. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car running fine now, here is what I did:
    Since I got the P3191 and one of the possible issues was EGR valve then I found some people on this site fixing the shuddering by cleaning the EGR cooler and intake I did that.

Here is the thread with a conversation on the EGR/Intake removal/cleaning with GREAT information
    Information on EGR system and intake Manifold Cleaning | PriusChat

bisco likes this.