1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold air Intake? - Not a Joke or Noob question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

PLEASE tell me you don't use this video as a basis of all intake filter tests..or ANY performance mod (whether its MPG or HP) analytics. come'on. LOL - Completely different engines, exhausts and intake designs.... pretty sure the Skyline wasn't designed to be quiet and eco friendly as Toyota designed the Prius for.

Sezy and Daves09prius like this.
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    even using the skyline (230 hp is bad @$$? compared to what?) showed about a 5 hp increase, despite the turbo and intercooler. seems to me a non boosted engine then should benefit even more, especially if you were to also decrease exhaust back pressure.

Daves09prius likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are you talking about? It's a perfect test bed. It's a GT-R R34 2.6 Turbo. If this hot little 300BHP car does not show gains worth talking about with a CAI I doubt a lesser performance vehicle would show any or very little. And a Prius is way way low on the lesser.

And remember the performance gain it did show was on a dyno at 7000 rpm.

You think our little 1.5 95 hp motor is going to return any better?
    And the last discussion was very accurate also. You have to have at least 10% increase in horsepower to even feel it.

But I applaud your tenacity. Please put your money where your mouth is and go get a dyno.
    But the MG2 will not appreciate that at all. Please get an Android with Torque so you can monitor MG temps.
    You'll see what I mean. If this car did not have electric motors I would be behind you 100% lets beat it up and have some fun but this is not the car to do that too.

silver_prius_2008 likes this.
  4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    not a perfect test bed. you can bet that car didn't come equipped w/ a restrictive intake, and it has cai already. didn't you notice the inlet above the radiator? a pressurized intake is way different than ours. how much boost on that thing?

5. badbasic

badbasic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so, according to the video.. i should get about 3 ft of corrugated tubing instead of tubing w/ clean walls? correct me if Im wrong but doesnt friction create heat. i love playing theory games.

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    "perfect test bed" ....pfffth. nope.

NOT All intake tubing, intake manifolds and intake resonators are equal. I didn't see nearly the same setup on the GTR....

The rest about heat ....is possibly true. I haven't monitored the heat of MG1 or MG2 ....

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seriously. Corrugated walls creating heat? The air moving through that will create heat from the friction? How fast do you think the air is moving?

8. badbasic

badbasic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously, I'd like to introduce a new word to your vocabulary-SARCASM. remember the vortex generator? the word theory is about what ifs and not actual raw data to substantiate a claim. All you need is a good pitch man to make your product sound remarkable while making others sound ridiculous.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not being sarcastic. Your original premise is ridiculous.

The vortex gen was supposed to create a swirl or smooth out or enhance airflow. Also ridiculous. What does that have to do with corrugated piping inducing heat?

Airflow disruption. Maybe. Doubt it. Heat? No.

10. badbasic

badbasic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasnt calling you sarcastic... I was being sarcastic. Apparently, you did not catch on. I suppose that this may be my last post on this site if it is apparent that there is no sense of humor here, only numbers crunching people trying to get the last drop of fuel efficiency. I do not belong here so I will look for other sites. Thank you for not allowing me to waste any more time than I already have since this in counterproductive and produces no logical outcome. Live long and prosper.....

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Come'on.... don't let the eco modders/TechnicallySmart Prius Drivers run u off... heck there is plenty of sarcasm on ANY forum. Just got to let it not get to you...and if u have a point - just prove it with facts...because there will always be a difference of opinions... but numbers don't lie...but damn...don't we hate it when we're wrong. :)

People can give me all sorts of crap for my I/H/E added to my prius. . . i don't mind - its my car, i'll do what i want. If i only wanted better MPG i wouldn't go hunting for more HP.... why not just go buy a different car if i want more hp? because I already have this one...I mean who thought to autocross a prius...not many...but then again .. why not!?! i rarely leave any car stock for long...just not my nature.

maybe i should get a new license plate for my lil prius: NTNRML (not normal) hmmmm...

Daves09prius and edthefox5 like this.
  12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    so yesterday i was thumbing thru the october issue of "mopar muscle". they tested CAI kits for a new charger. actually, a much better test bed than some turbo cheese box. some of the kits lost power, but most gained power, one increased max hp 14hp at about 4500 rpm, according to their dyno. still not the same as what we have here, but proof that in some cases a CAI can help.

Daves09prius likes this.
  13. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Has anyone ever dyno tested a Prius? This is how most would put these theories to rest, though I have a feeling it would be difficult on a Prius with state of charge affecting power. :( I can say I doubt the Prius will gain any power with any sort of intake modification. On my NA Lexus IS-F, I've tried nearly every intake mod and have never once seen any gains on either the dyno or the drag strip. Unless the filter is dirty to the point of being clogged I personally doubt we will see any gains on the intake side of the Prius. Now on the exhaust side I bet that's where the gains can be had. Toyota seems to have very restrictive exhaust setups. With just exhaust (headers/intake) alone I picked up over 50 whp on the F!

Shedding weight will be more effective than most mods for getting this car to be quicker. Btw 69shovlhed I removed that weight block you showed me under the passenger headlight. That's my start at weight loss! Haha

Daves09prius likes this.
  14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Currawong likes this.
  15. silver_prius_2008

silver_prius_2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A while back, I made a custom full CAI for my previous car - a 1.6L Mazda 323 which had a cat back exhaust as well and improvement in power was insignificant. Much louder though. Tried this on a 3.0L V6 tribute/Escape (with a remapped ECU) as well and it helped a bit. I doubt if a CAI would make a noticeable difference in power for the 1.5L Prius engine although it is fun to work on a project like this.

From reading previous posts, If you keep the inner diameter of the tube where AMF sensor is mounted same as the stock size, any similar setup should work (no error code). This issue is exactly same as Mazda 323 set up. A lot people like doing this kind of mods as CAI does give a different note to an engine and a smile on one who has worked on it.

The best bet could be to remap the engine ECU for better power and MPG if driven sensibly.

16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Why wouldn't restricting the intake charge accomplish the same thing as pushing the intake charge back into the intake manifold? The charge density could be made the same.

17. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    but the vacuum created ( restricted ) results in loss of power /efficiency, the Idea is that a motor should move as freely as possible, at least on the intake and exhaust cycle, some loss during compression/ obviously ,
    what you are suggesting is called a throttle plate, it has been around since carburation itself, and that is exactly what it does it restricts the intake therefore limiting power / regulating rpm

18. Steven Harvey

Steven Harvey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did you do to re-tune your ecu to compensate for the extra volume of air in the cylinders? what air fuel ratio are you getting after putting on the CAI?

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am afraid you have exceeded the technical skill level of most of the modders, they are interested in loud and shiny. Beyond that, no tuning is done, which is why they keep throwing codes.

Most are not pulling in cold air, they have a shorty pipe drawing air from under the hood.* This is fine, as an Atkinson Cycle engine heats intake air in any case, by pumping 30% of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder back into the intake, unlike an Otto cycle engine. This does alter the air fuel ratio, especially if the intake has less volume than the back flow from the cylinder. The least unsuccessful modders are still using a long pipe.

*In the Gen 2, I saw intake air under the hood 15 degrees higher than outside, On my v it never exceeds 10 degrees warmer than ambient. Both without grill blocking.

Steven Harvey likes this.
  20. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    no codes here. my k&n filter gobbed on the maf with 180k on it and it died. new maf= no codes in 6 months.
    a slight increase in air isn't gonna need any re-tuning of anything. if you make a really efficient air ram set up, and a custom maf housing, and a free flowing exhaust, you might need to flash the ecu, but i doubt it.

Daves09prius likes this.