1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cold start knock/rattle fixed

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BKS in IN, Jan 23, 2020.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Valve grind kit does not include the o-rings in the timing cover area iirc.

You should replace the water pump and thermostat.

Raytheeagle and BKS in IN like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gasket masters like the ultra black, readily available and has a much longer cure time. Watch their Prius head gasket videos if you haven't.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like Tim was giving the answer back in March and was chastised severely for it. Personally I like the facts even if they are tough. The bad part is the dealership seems to be less component than a guy from Houston.

The Critic and Tim Jones like this.
  4. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well I watched their 2 hour long video and didn't really learn much cause they didn't talk much while putting the engine back together explaining what they were doing or things that needed to be done that are out of the ordinary. So hope you all dont mind me asking some questions, as I dont want to make any mistakes on this job.

5. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I saw that one, it's new, and not at all informative I think, at least judging from the few bits I watched.

I linked two of their earlier videos in a thread here, but oddly they're now "private". Those had lots of explanation. Not sure why, just thumbing on a phone now, will see what I can find tomorrow.

7. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I just want to make sure I do everything right, so I am going to make a step by step of what needs done and then u tell me if I need to do something more or different.
    1. Clean head gasket surface, head has been to machine shop and is done, with new valve stem seals
    2... install head gasket and head, make sure not to drag head across the gasket
    3.. dip new head bolts in oil and install. Torque to 36 ft lbs in correct order, the tighten all 90° more in same order, then tighten 45° more in same order.
    4... clean surfaces for cam carrier assembly, be sure to remove all oil, apply ultra black in a 3/16" bead, install cam carrier with cams, is there a certain order that them bolts get tightened down? And what torque?
    Will continue in more posts so this 1 isn't so long.

8. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    5... line up colored links on timing chain with Mark's on gears. Install new thermostat housing on cover. Remove chain tensioner from cover. Install timing chain guides on block.
    6... apply ultra black on timing chain cover, dont forget small circle in the middle of the cover. Have 2 people to guide cover in place and install cover. Install bolts and tighten down. Install new water pump and oil filter assembly. Install chain tensioner. Install crank pulley. What torque on bolt for it?

9. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There’s a torque sequence for the cam housing.

There’s also an area under the Headgasket that is supposed to have rtv, but many people seem to skip this step.

And I would use fipg, not the permatex junk.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, at the edge where the timing cover meets the block on both edges. That’s where to apply the rtv/fipg.

11. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had fipg in the shopping cart for $21, but removed it when I was told that ultra black is used by gasket masters and it gives more time to get things together and tightened down. I found this product at my local farm store and thought it might be even better. Give me your opinions on it or if I should just get the ultra black, as fipg is not an option now as I plan to get this car back together this weekend.

Attached Files:

12. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can someone tell me the proper torque and sequence of the cam assembly or post a link to it. I have searched and there are way too many results to search they them all. Thank you

13. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The other ones you mention do not dry as strong. The longer work time is not necessarily a good thing. And some of those red RTV are not oxygen sensor safe; they are acid based.

Go to autozone and or O’Reilly and get the permatex right stuff.

It doesn’t take more than 5-10 min to bolt everything down. Run the bolts down with an air ratchet and then go back and torque all of the bolts. Make sure you use a wire wheel to pre-clean all of the bolts (to remove the old rtv) or else you’ll have trouble threading the bolts on and strip out the threads.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can dig up some torque values, tightening sequence, in a few hours. I'm out right now, and totally knackered (cleaning up daughters driveway/garage).

If I was cagey I'd post them once, in one thread, then link them as needed. But no...

The Critic likes this.
  15. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel, I would sure appreciate that, gonna start putting it back together today, but wont be able to put a lot of time in on it today. Tomorrow I hope to get most of it done.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  17. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well shit, the machine shop took all the camshaft followers/adjusters out and just threw them in a bag. I see that there is only 1 part number for them, not a bunch of different lengths. But I measured everyone of them and they measure anywhere between 1.466" to 1.480". I turn the top while holding the bottom and can't seem to alter the length, so how do they adjust? Automatically? So next question, do I need to measure the valve lash and put the right length follower in to get the valve lash correct? If so, what is the valve lash?

18. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    After talking to a friend, we think these followers/adjusters are like a hydraulic lifter that adjusts automatically with oil pressure. Are we correct?

19. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel, I could not find the camshaft housing tightening info in any of the pdf's you uploaded. So I am still st a standstill till i know how to do that. Thanks

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three