1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused: Why does estimated EV miles keep dropping?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Den Hare, Oct 29, 2012.

1. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course if I go 62mph my range would only be 6.2 miles EV so the speed at which you drive makes a difference

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup. Use EV for city driving and leave HV for highway. Use the extra EV miles at your discretion.

3. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is your MPGe? In the long run that is what determines the overall fuel efficiency. After 2 weeks my PIP says I am getting 123 MPGe. While my EV range dropped from 13.4 to ~12 miles. On the other hand, the PIP's calculator reports that I am getting 999 MPGe on more than 60% of my trips. I have noticed that the actual EV range is dependent on how I drive and local conditions. Speeds >60, temperature <45, hard stops and aggressive acceleration.

I consider the estimated EV range as a teaching tool. For example, I have a set route for a set of regular errands involving 3 to 4 stops involving ~13 to 14 miles of driving. The route forms a near perfect circle. The direction of travel has a big effect on my 'actual' EV range. If I do the flat section first, end up using ~ 3 miles of range and I run out of EV about a mile from home. If I reverse the direction, do the down hill section first, I get back home with ~. 5 miles of EV remaining. During the initial down hill segment I actually gain EV range, I loss some range during the middle par of the trip but have plenty of EV left for the up hill run back to the house. In the reverse direction I loss 3 to 4 mile of EV in the first segment going over a series of small hills. I do have a long down hill but regen is less efficient that charging.

My conclusion (trips >10 miles):
    1. Do whatever I can to not use my EV.
    2. Avoid using regenerative braking.

If you think about it driving and fuel efficiency is all about physics. I try to use the estimated EV range to helps me better understand the physics of driving. It is not about numbers and equations but about gaining a more intuitive sense for how the technology works. The amount of fuel consumed to move a car from point A to point B will depend on the load (power required to a move the car and run the accessories) and the efficiency of the power train. Combustion (via the ICE) is a relatively inefficient way to generate energy to move an object. The most efficient ICE built today waste ~ 70% of the fuel they consume (as heat). While the efficiency of an electric motor approaches 100%. In the case of the PHEVs that efficiency of the power train is in the 60% range.

Based on what I have observed so far avoiding using the traction motor (i.e. conserve EV) is a high priority. If you use EV you 'loss it' or at least most of it. Charging your PIP via the charger is much more efficient than using energy gained via regenerative braking. Regenerative braking is trying to recapture energy you expended to move the load (vehicle). Current regenerative technology allows you to recapture ~30% of the available potential energy. If I use the brake it means I used too much energy to move the car over a given distance in the first place. I am experimenting with a number of techniques to avoid wasting energy (EV & ICE). The best options are anticipating traffic and lights. As a result I tend to do a lot more coasting to stops and I am much more aware of what the drivers around me are doing. By coasting I avoid converting battery and ICE energy to heat (wasted) energy allowing me to make more efficient use of both fuels gas. By the way my overall MPH per trip has not dropped despite the extra coasting.

babybird and priuskitty like this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some of our strongest voices have come from those who struggled with the system at first. They become active players after having looked into the hybrid operation so deeply. So a welcome & congrast is indeed due.

babybird likes this.
  5. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another thread about estimated EV range....ugh

Can we please just not reply to people who refuse to read the dozens of bandwidth wasting similar threads.

in most cases you don't even need to use search function, since there are so many similar threads right on page 1 !

Dan

Jimbo69ny likes this.
  6. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH DAN!!! I read through almost all the threads up to page 100 or so on the pip forum before I bought my car. Granted that is a little excessive but for god sakes, at least read the first page and read on of the other 3 threads on the same subject. A subject saying dont buy a pip till the battery problems are solved!?! Are you kidding me? The op must be a volt owner just f'ing with us.

7. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah the title of this thread is what bothered me most!

Im guessing his MPG in HV would be around 40mpg only too.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    His second post is here and no reply here.

9. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have ~300 miles on my PIP's odometer. According to the on board computer I am averaging 124 MPG or ~30% above the EPA rating. during the week days i plugin 1 a day and about 2 to three times a day over the weekend. While I try to coast as much as I can, I tend to drive at the speed limit.

I get 30 MPG using my 2007 Camry hybrid or 11% below the EPA rating. Over the years I have tried every technique available to improve the Camry's performance with little success.
    The car does matter!

I think it is important that we dramatically reduce greenhouse emmissions. EVs and PHEVs are important tools in this effort. Americans are skeptical when it comes to EVss and PHEVs. Prius Chat can make a difference.

Patience!

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I first saw this thread I had visions of the multihundred page thread on mynissanleaf about EVs in arizona with battery degridation.

Now I've looked up Gladstone Toyota and realize it is in the pacific northwest and I know that is not an area where heat will be an issue.

I wish I had a PiP to use, I'd be happy to drive one no matter how many miles I would get on the EV mode.

11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, can we just sticky this thread? Or create a separate sticky thread that links to this one and the one by Susan?

cwerdna and rogerv like this.
  12. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good post. You are right on with this. Actual ev is usually quite different from the car's estimate. In my case with the battery I added it will start off saying I will get 20 miles of EV, but I will actually get 24 to 28, depending on temp, conditions, speed etc.

13. Ph33zy

Ph33zy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the car for about a month now and feel like I'm a hypermiling whore (rolling to reds and stops; slow acceleration; try to drive 35mph; drive on relatively flat routes) and my battery consistently shows 11.5 miles. Is there any other tips I should be aware of to get that 11.5 to 13.5 (which I've only seen once when I first bought my car)?

EDIT: I do want to state that my actual driving miles is actually 13 miles before the battery dies...

14. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    the 11mi EV is coming from the EPA so what's the problem Toyota needs to solve? some will get better than 11eV and others will get worse due to variation in driving conditions. if car companies could use their own figures (test criteria), i'm sure they would come out with higher numbers than EPA.

same goes for mpg... i don't even get 50mpg due to hills, trip length, etc.

15. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The system does have some sort of decaying average process in place so it's not clear how much (or even how) you'd need to drive before it "updates" itself to reality. Maybe you had one trip that was really rough and that's dragging down the average? In one of the other threads, Jim installed a supplementary battery pack and the EV miles estimate still doesn't show the full range that he's getting IRL. Just give it time. If you're impatient, disconnect the 12V battery, but note that this will reset ALL settings and records.

16. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! When the temps were 65-85 degrees I was getting about 17 miles per charge, now with the temps 25-45 degrees I am getting about 14 miles per charge. I am sure that with colder temps on the way that will drop some more. It will be interesting to see how far it drops in the middle of winter -20 degrees to 25 degrees. My guess 5 to 7 miles? Still love the car! :D

17. Ph33zy

Ph33zy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in sunny southern California where the temps have been in the 80's for the last month... wondering if you guys who are getting 15 miles on the EV indicator are driving 20mph!

Don't get me wrong, I love the PiP... just curious as to how you guys are getting such good EV readings even though I get more miles than what it says...

18. Den Hare

Den Hare New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I make these drive test it is on the level freeway going 11.2 miles to work. I always use cruse control on freeway. I "soft peddle" the accelerator always. When I first got the car I could go to work and have 3 miles extra to go home on. Now I cannot get all the way to work. Weather permitting, I do not use my heater or any thing else that would drain the battery. So it is obvious to me that I do not have the same energy to use as when I first got the car. Thank you for your comments.

19. Den Hare

Den Hare New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I make these drive test it is on the level freeway going 11.2 miles to work. I always use cruse control on freeway. I "soft peddle" the accelerator always. When I first got the car I could go to work and have 3 miles extra to go home on. Now I cannot get all the way to work. Weather permitting, I do not use my heater or any thing else that would drain the battery. So it is obvious to me that I do not have the same energy to use as when I first got the car. Thank you for your comments.

20. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why did you reply with the same exact answer to 2 different posts? You have been given a lot of information but don't seem open minded enough to learn from those with a lot of answers. :(