1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering Head gasket replacement - 2011 Prius - 215k miles - P0303 misfire

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by An2TheTwan, Jul 18, 2022.

1. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am an Uber driver and a few weeks ago I received the heavy engine shaking and code P0303. I drove about 500 miles since shaking began and have not been driving my Prius for several weeks now.

Thinking about doing the head gasket, but with my car having 215k, I still haven't made a decision. I have cleaned out the whole EGR circuit and changed spark plugs. Switched coils to see if misfire changed to a different cylinder, but it did not (stayed in cylinder 3 - P0303)

Since most head gaskets occur in cylinder one (P0301), I am concerned there is a bent piston rod. I have only drove my Prius about 500 miles since knocking began. My knocking/shaking goes away at higher mileage, but it doesn't go away at low speeds if my car has been warmed up.
    I was losing a lot of oil, about 1 quart ever one thousand miles (but not losing coolant) and I am concerned oil buildup may have caused the issue.

If I need to replace the piston/rod, how much additional disassembly would be required, or is there a way to remove the piston without taking out the entire engine? I did watch some YouTube videos where other people have done it, but I am not sure if you can do it with a Generation 3 Prius

I have created a list of things I plan on replacing/doing while changing out the head gasket. I am sure I am
    missing some things:

-thermostat
    -water pump
    -head bolts / socket
    -head gasket
    -head gasket kit
    -timing chain
    -seals(may come with kit)
    -sand paper for resurfacing
    -inspection of engine head by mechanic
    -piston/rod (if necessary)

I am open to any other advice, insight and resources regarding the head gasket replacement. Thanks in advance.

Link to original thread:
    Engine Shaking/White Smoke After Cleaning - 2011 Generation 3 Prius | PriusChat

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are going to replace the pistons/rings, and or rods, you'll need to pull the engine.
    You might consider a short block.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Cylinder 2 is the most common code I think for HG. In my opinion open deck engines like this should be swapped out for a lower mileage short block or complete engine from supplier that can supply that reasonably

4. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't plan on spending several thousand for a new engine. Not worth it to me. Many people here have done head gaskets and if I can get another 50-75k miles on the car, it would be worth to spend about $500 on the parts needed.

I did forget to mention prior to the engine shaking, I was getting P0401 (EGR clogged) and would need to clear the code every few days. Based on this code, I feel a bit better about the engine burning oil. I do appreciate the advice.

I guess what I'm asking is, based on my somewhat limited driving since shaking started, does the forum think I have a bent piston rod? How common are bent piston rods when doing the head gasket? This question I won't be able to answer until I take off the head, but I am curious before I make a decision on proceeding with the head gasket replacement.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some people have done head gaskets or subsequent timing fixes several times before realizing a bent rod mandated a replacement engine.

6. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I doubt you have a bent rod, but it is a slim possibility. If you're really concerned about it, you could pull the plugs, put a slim rod through the spark plug hole, rotate the engine by hand, and mark the highest point it reaches with a line. That line should be the same for all cylinders.

However, if you're burning 1qt of oil every 1,000 miles I would not just replace the head gasket. I would pull the engine & disassemble the bottom end because it is likely to be carbon fouled. It is possible to do this in the car, but it doesn't save you any time and would be a lot more of a hassle. Plus you will probably want to hone the cylinders and install new rings and you'll get better results taking the block to a machine shop than trying to use a ball hone on a drill at home.

mikey_t likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you loosing coolant? You "may" not have a blown gasket. Or a bent rod.
    As was stated, pulling the plugs and marking a rod with each piston at tdc can tell you that.

If you catch it early, as it seems you have, minimum risk of a bent rod.

If you have not cleaned the egr system, Most importantly the cooler and intake manifold ports, that would
    be your first step. That will reduce back pressure and reduce the chance of damaging the head gasket.

How do you drive? That will effect oil consumpsion. I keep it 65mph and under and ony use 1.5 qts with
    10,000 mile oil changes. If I drive 70 more, than it goes up to 2-2.5.

8. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the slim rod method you described.

My dilemma is; doing the head gasket is a tall order for me (and my dad) and any additional work may be a dealbreaker. I don't have the money to pay a mechanic to do all this additional work on the block.

The advice the forum receives is no doubt the best way to approach the project, but I am hoping with cleaning the EGR/Cooler circuit (which was completely blocked), changing the PCV valve and installing an oil catch catch, I won't be losing as much oil going forward.

I'm trying to balance cost effectiveness with DIY.

9. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't believe I am losing coolant, at least not at a rapid rate. And yes I did clean the EGR system.

So I am (former) Uber driver. Lots of miles, all types of driving, city/highway etc.. I landed a different job as a bartender and I don't plan on doing rideshare anymore and will be putting significantly less miles on my Prius.

mikey_t likes this.
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are the missfires gone? If so, drive it and keep an eye on the coolant.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #11 Mendel Leisk, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    nate358 likes this.
  12. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Misfires are still present, even after changing coil positions, they remain in cylinder 3. I am not loosing coolant or at least not a rapid rate.

13. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel, I appreciate you taking the time and digging this up for me. You seem like a very intelligent person and are a pillar to this Priuschat community.

I am still leaning away from replacing the block/engine mainly due to costs.

What do you think will happen if I only replace the head gaskets, o rings, head bolts, water pump etc..?

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Time to check the #3 injector. You could switch it with another cylinder.
    If if moves, you know it's dirty, or bad.
    But also check the wiring...

15. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you do it right and don't have a warped head you will be fine for a year or two. It will still burn oil at an excessive rate, further generating carbon which caused the oil burning and head gasket failure in the first place. Diy attempts frequently have trouble with the engine timing which requires about 75% rework to try again.

Your car ran 11 years and 200k miles before the head gasket blew. Would it be possible to repeat that duration after your repairs? Changing the piston rings, valve seals and machine shop verification of the head can get you many more years on the engine. The head gasket problems usually show up sometime after 150k when the engine is new. Your piston rings, valve seals and gaskets along with your gunked up head, intake, egr and pcv are keeping you from a reliable engine going forward.

#15 rjparker, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  16. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get, I simply dont have the money to replace the entire engine. If I can get another year or two out of her, I will be happy with that.

I did clean the entire EGR circuit and changed the PCV valve. This is something I will be cleaning once or twice a year going forward. My piston rings/valve seals are another story (but prior to this, car was running fine)

17. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you're doing a head gasket, you might as well replace the valve stem seals. They come with the head gasket kit and you can get a loaner spring compressor from AutoZone. You might as well clean your valves with a wire wheel too.

But valve stem seals don't cause 1qt per 1,000 miles oil consumption. That's going to be carbon-fouled oil rings and plugged piston oil drain holes. Some Gen2 & corolla/matrix folks have had good luck with various flushes and ultra-short oil change intervals with detergent-heavy oils. Others use DMSO ( Ultimate engine flush process, part 1. | E46 Fanatics Forum )

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you do all that, haven’t got a bent piston arm, and keep up the EGR cleanings (say every 50k, I doubt you’ll have subsequent head gasket problem, but the oil consumption will persist and the catalytic converter code is worrisome.

19. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before you tear into the engine, you might want to figure out why cylinder 3 is misfiring. It could be a leaking head gasket- but that usually begins as a miss only for a short time on cold start. The engine runs better after warming up. As the problem gets worse, coolant loss and overheating occur. If alot of coolant gets into a cylinder, then you can bend a rod.

However, there are many other causes for a single cylinder misfire. Fuel injector (or wiring) fault, loss of compression (piston ring or cylinder - maybe a valve problem), ignition problem, etc. Vacuum leak at the intake manifold near #3 injector.

Side note, most EGR problems should not affect the engine at idle- the EGR valve is always closed then. If the valve is stuck open, the ECM should set a code for that.

This can be tough to figure out, but just jumping into a repair "blind" has not much chance of fixing the problem.

Sure, I might throw plugs and coils at a miss but a H/G? I would want some confirmation first.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#19 mr_guy_mann, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    ASRDogman likes this.
  20. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just chiming in to make sure that you're including the intake manifold ports when you say you cleaned the whole EGR system.