1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports 2015 Autos (Gen4 Prius hints etc)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by wjtracy, Mar 6, 2015.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think other non plugins the size and cost of Prius matches Prius MPGs, but they whup its butt in other areas.

Just saw in paper, 2015 Camry SE priced a mere $200 more than Prius Two (you know, the '5 at this price' teaser ads in paper.
    Guess what? Camrys are flying off the lot, over 30,000 units in US in February.. Prius liftback, not selling quite so hot these days.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not surprised. The Camry is the new thing. The update is impressive. And regular Joe won't care (or possibly even know) that a Gen 4 Prius is coming down the line. They want a new car, they walk in, look at a 5-6 year old Prius or a recently updated Camry and go with the Camry. It's noticeably wider and spacious inside.

True I don't mind trunks until I realise the load size is limited by the trunk opening (even if the trunk can fit the object once inside) and I am used to the underfloor boxes to keep my emergency kit (blankets, ice scraper, snow brush, floor mats, shovel etc) that my cargo area is clean and clutter-free (except for reusable shopping bags tucked at the side and the Heatshield sunshade in the summer).

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They compete on more than MPG but also perception. There are credible studies that 15 years of anti-hybrid hype has poisoned some minds against hybrids. Fortunately, it has had no effect on the old or crafty . . . like us.

Bob Wilson

usbseawolf2000 and telmo744 like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but other plug ins don't sell as well as the prius. and whatever made you think that toyota's intent with the prius was to capture camry sales?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The fluff in this case is comfort, ride, and maybe interior materials. To capture more market, the Prius needs to give mpg without seeming to make the buyer to choose that in exchange for those others.

Going back to a sedan might help in the US, but I think keeping the hatch keeps it distinct from the Camry and Corolla.
    Does Canada get a wagon/hatch version of either of those?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we would all like lexus quality at prius price. do you think hsd comes at the same cost as gasser?

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need Lexus quality, just nicer than Prius.
    Very,very few people buy a car based on one attribute.
    It is a matter of balancing those needs and wants.

When the Prius gets 50mpg and the competition gets 25mpg but has a nicer interior, the Prius may well be the decision.
    When the Prius gets 50mpg and the other car 30mpg, fewer people will choose the Prius.
    Prius 50mpg, other car 35mpg, fewer yet.

As that gap in mpg closes, the other factors play a larger role in the buying decision for more people.

The Prius needs to expand beyond MPG as it currently is the only thing it is recognized for.
    Toyota needs to emphasize the utility as well.
    Improving the interior would also help.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course it would help, no denying that. but is there a reason they haven't? and btw, i don't find the prius interior much inferior to other cars in it's class.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm sure I read the Toyota exec. saying the new (G4) Prius would be smaller on the outside, but bigger on the inside.

I posted what I looked at before I purchased Pearl in 2007, and I found them wanting. The Camry Hybrid particularly, as you couldn't fold down the rear seat. So you couldn't carry anything larger than the trunk. The Nissan was cheaply made. The Honda Accord Hybrid was just silly. It got -worse- mileage than the 4 cylinder version (but it was powerful and was "flying off the lot" because of that - shades of Lexus).
    I have never found either Pearl or Pearl S to be uncomfortable, in fact, both are a joy to be in all day. Of course, I'm used to 4X4 wagons, now known as "SUVs" (there is NOTHING "sporty" about a 4000 to 5000 lb vehicle!). ;)

10. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes, the Prius does need to go up a bit in size. The Camry is very spacious in terms of legroom. My two preferred non-SUV Toyotas are the Camry and the Prius.

No mention of AWD I guess?

I don't think the increase in fuel economy will bring more buyers. The market is maturing so we need good fuel economy but other changes in the vehicles to attract new buyers, like an upgraded size and styling... and AWD.

In the meantime, I just bought a PiP this weekend. Couldn't wait any longer, because I need a car now.

The Prius v also needs a serious redesign. it's bigger than the Prius, but in some ways it's actually smaller, which makes it a less than ideal design for a family oriented hatchback. My comments on this: Ironically, Prius is better than Prius v for large rear-facing child car seats. | PriusChat

#30 Eug, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. It's been 3 generations. Now that HSD's cost has come down, perhaps spend a bit more money and spiff up the interior. It's pretty sad that the Corolla has a quieter interior than the Prius. That said, I prefer our 3rd Gen Prius over the 10th Gen or 9th Gen Corolla interior. Ours looks upscale. It's the curves and design of the dashboard (as opposed to the flat dash of the 9G Corolla or the somewhat shiny dash of the 10th Gen with fake stitching [Camry and RAV4 get real stitching even though they're still decorative).

If the rumours are true about the rear suspension switching to a double wishbone, the ride and handling should be improved (just don't expect a cargo area as spacious as now because the double wishbone will eat into the cargo space).

We don't have a hatch/wagon Corolla or Camry (unless you count the Matrix). Currently, our models match between the two countries except that we don't get the Avalon Hybrid.

^^ What he said.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Toyota exec. did say AWD would be an option. It sounds like it would work like the Highlander Hybrid, with a third MG on a rear diff. "not intended for off-road operation". I would class this as "nothing really new, except to a Prius".

13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    The Technology Package / Advanced Package for the PiP has a pretty damn nice interior, but it's also pretty damn expensive (if you're getting it brand new that is).

I think the main problem is the base model of some of them are really, really base. The 2012 Prius v I looked at reminded me a of a low cost NA domestic minivan from the 1990s.

14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not interested in a 55 mpg hybrid vehicle unless the plug-in can do 20 miles on battery at a minimum.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Have you noticed the felt-lined A and B pillars yet? They're only available on leather/SofTex interiors. All cloth interior equipped vehicles get the regular plastic pillars. They add a nice touch to the interior, even if they're not easily noticed.

16. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By making a new model more mainstream attractive, and better driving, they'd accomplish a heck of a lot more in terms of fuel savings and environmental well-being than focusing on 60 mpg. An oft-forgotten feature of the Prius is the price. We had a new Camry rental while in Florida, and when looking at them at the dealer, the price difference was so absurd the mpg really doesn't matter. We have a 2007 Camry hybrid now, but don't know about replacing it. The gasser's trunk is just so much more useful.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @SteveVee , have you checked out the 2012+ Camry Hybrid's trunk? It's 1 or 2 cu. ft larger (I think it went from 11 to 13 cu ft) and still has the pass-through.

18. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's a tad bigger thankfully. We usually take my v bowling because it's difficult getting the bags in her trunk, and much harder for tired backs to get out. When we checked out the price differences at the dealer between the gasser and the hybrid, the numbers speak for themselves.

19. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I've only just noticed them, but yes, they are nice.

I think I'm spoiled now. If we end up buying a new hybrid crossover/small SUV, it's gonna get a whole bunch of interior upgrades. However, I still prefer some higher end fabrics over leather/faux leather.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sooner or later, it'll have to be a Lexus as Toyota is slowly moving towards synthetics (i.e. SofTex) and once they can match the expectations for the vehicle (like Avalon), they'll use it. The Corolla, RAV4, Camry SE, Prius, Prius c, Prius v, Highlander Hybrid LE (and 3rd row of XLE & Limited models), '12-'14 Sienna SE and 4Runner w/ Upgrade Package use SofTex.