1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ironically, Prius is better than Prius v for large rear-facing child car seats.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Eug, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yesterday I went into the dealership to buy a used Prius v. I decided I didn't like the interior of the (Canadian) base model, but more importantly, it was extremely hard to fit my Britax Advocate ClickTight convertible car seat in the back, so I decided against the Prius v.

For my short 170 cm frame, the only way to make the Britax seat fit rear-facing was to push the rear seat all the way back then install the car seat, but with the angle on the car seat changed more for older toddlers (more vertical). This is OK if you have older kids, but this is not appropriate for infants.

It seems the Prius v overemphasized cargo space, which makes no sense to me. For families with infant children and toddlers, rear seat spacing is more important IMO. Indeed, when my friends went shopping for an SUV, they lugged their two big car seats everywhere for testing.

I guess the specs don't lie. This may be old news for some but strangely enough the regular Prius has more combined front and back legroom than the Prius v. Because of this, I was able to fit the same seat in the regular Prius. It was a tight fit, but it did fit, whereas it didn't in the Prius v. Why do I mention front leg room? Because in the regular Prius the front legroom is significantly more according to the specs, so I move my seat up more to compensate, freeing up more space behind for a car seat. (Yes, I did adjust the driver's seat angle for testing, but to make the Prius v fit the car seat, either the seat angle was uncomfortable, or I had to move the seat up far too much.

Prius front legroom: 1080 mm (42.5 inches)
    Prius rear legroom: 914 mm (36.0 inches)
    Combined: 1994 mm (78.5 inches)

Prius v front legroom: 1049 mm (41.3 inches)
    Prius v rear legroom: 911 mm (35.8 inches)
    Combined: 1960 mm (77.1 inches)

Tilting the rear seat in the Prius v didn't help at all either. To make it work comfortably for me, I needed about another inch of space in the Prius v. I think part of it though is the relative heights of the seat backs. In the Prius v, the top of this particular child seat happens to touch the top of the driver's seat, forming an upside-down "V".

230E0CC9-1917-4E46-95F4-D2E80E840858_zpsymypqgkw.jpg

In the regular Prius, the top of this child car seat is actually higher than the top of the driver's seat so you potentially gain yet another half-inch or so before you hit the headrest. But even without that extra half-inch, it's OK for my 170 cm height.

This was for us a complete deal killer. I couldn't just put the car seat behind the passenger seat either, since we have two young kids. In the end, I bought a Prius PHV instead.

So those of you with young families thinking that the Prius v will be a roomier solution than the Prius, think again. It may be roomier in some respects, but in others it's actually less roomy.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. My colleague just bought a Prius v and has a toddler. She didn't mention anything about the car seats. Maybe she's using a forward facing one? Is it possible to fit the seat on the passenger side instead? The front passenger could maybe afford the extra inch.

3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    1. Our car seats are pretty large. Larger than average.

2. In some cars it is ok to put the car seat in the middle. do not know about the Prius v. The would put the child car seat's longest point between the front bucket seats.

3. Passenger side works if you have one kid. We have two. In some cars though you can put one in the centre and one beside it. With a thinner car seat that would work in the Prius v since it is almost 2" wider than the Prius.

4. The legroom in the Prius v would work for my wife with our car seats because she's only 5'2".

5. Front facing saves a lot of room. However, now many experts are recommending rear-facing until 2 or 3 years of age or later.

6. Car seat tilt also affects length.

Overall, the point here is that you can make it work with some car seats but the situation with the Prius v is not ideal. If you have the choice you might be better off getting something else. Honestly, the regular Prius isn't ideal either but sometimes can work better than the v.

I hope they fix this in the next gen v.

BTW I saw floor anchors in the Prius v, which is helpful for tethering these car seats. I don't remember seeing them in the regular Prius third gen.

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Question: Did you lower the drivers seat (assuming the one you looked at has the power adjustable seats). I am 6'7" and prefer the seat to be in its lowest position. I think there are a few inches of vertical adjustment... which may allow the top of the car seat to extend towards the headrest.

My wife's daily driver is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Our 2006 Prius, and our 2015 Prius v Wagon give us MUCH more rear legroom than the Jeep. Who would have guessed?

/Jim

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh good to know (but I'm sure I won't remember when the time comes lol. Hopefully I do).

What floor anchors? The Prius has LATCH behind the seats and ISOFIX anchors between the seatback and seat cushion (you have to fold the seatback down to expose the bar, latch the seat and then push the seat back up.

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    The car I looked at did not have power seats. It was the base model, which is probably why I didn't like the interior much. It was very utilitarian.

Plus, the fabric in this used model was stained on the back of the rear back seat, visible from the cargo area. Ew.

You know, you're right. That car had a floor anchor attached behind the passenger seat at the base, but looking online it looks like an aftermarket strap that was put there. Something like this:

PriusVRFtetherstrap.jpg

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh, interesting. I've never seen a modification like that before. What's its purpose?

The base model is the only one with cloth seats. All others have SofTex which will be easier to clean (spills, mud, other non-mentionables). The Luxury package used to have the panoramic roof for it was removed in 2013 to reduce the price. I suspect it's because a lot of taxi drivers are purchasing the Luxury package for the seats, backup camera and other features so removing the roof saves them money and makes it easier to mount the taxi light).

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    When you use a car seat front facing, the tether is to the back of the rear seat, as you described. However, when you use a car seat rear facing, most cars, even big ones, don't have a tether like the above, so there is risk for the seat to tilt significantly. Some car seats now have an anti-rebound bar at the front of it so in rear-facing mode, the anti-rebound bar braces the car seat against the back of the rear seat. Like this:

shuttle-antirebound.jpg

Or else like this:

clekfllofeatures-rebound.png

However, for an older kid, that rebound bar kinda gets in the way, and annoys some kids. Another solution is to use the tether, mounted to a floor anchor.

SwedishTether.png

In my old Prius I just attached a strap to the front seat's rails, and tethered to that.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh, I never knew.

But if you secure the rear facing child seat with the seatbelt in ALR mode, wouldn't that hold the seat in place when you suddenly brake so that the seat doesn't tilt backwards (towards the front seats) so you wouldn't need a rebound bar?

10. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I'm not an expert, but I'd have to say no. The seatbelts are often run through the seat at a location that allows some tilting, in the context of a soft rear seat. Same goes for LATCH anchoring.

Take a look at this seat:

6a00d83451b3c669e2016762bf3d1d970b-800wi.jpg

Typically, BOTH the shoulder belt and the lap belt portion of the seat belt are run through the car seat at lap level, effectively similar to a LATCH type installation, just stronger. (I think LATCH maxes out at 40 lbs or something like that.) So, the seat can easy tilt front and back.

BTW, AFAIK, that seat may not be installed correctly. It seems to be touching the front passenger seat headrest, and if so, it may be wrong. The passenger seat should be moved forward to accommodate, even if the passenger is a bit uncomfortable although with Britax they say it can just barely touch. It depends on the car manufacturer though. However, either way, the car seat cannot be leaning against the front seat.

After your car seat is securely installed rear-facing, you may move the front vehicle seat back JUST until contact is made with the car seat. The vehicle seat should not be pushed back so that the secure installation of the car seat is reliant on the front vehicle seat (“bracing”). However, some vehicle manufacturers prohibit any contact between a car seat and the front vehicle seat, so be sure to check your vehicle owner’s manual.

11. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Even in the base models of the 2012 Prius v (can't imagine it changed is subsequent years) there is a manual lever to raise and lower the driver seat. Here is a quote from the 2012 Prius v release material from the main forum; "Fabric-trimmed front seats with seatback pockets; six way adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support; four-way adjustable fold-flat front passenger seat (Prius v Two and Three only)"

So there is 2 inches (approximately) of driver seat height travel to play with to help with the car seat next time you get a chance to experiment with a car seat in a Prius v

12. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah, my sales guy and I both played with that lever. In the end I just said forget it, and moved on to the Prius... and then finally settled on a dealer demo Plug-in Prius.

However, it should be noted that my wife will likely be getting a small SUV anyway, like the RAV4. I tried the car seat in a 2011 RAV4 and then later a 2015 RAV4, and it fit very easily.

RAV4 legroom
    Front: 1080 mm (42.6")
    Rear: 944 mm (37.2")

Combined that's 2025 mm or 79.8", so I'm not surprised the car seat fit so well. I will quote my previous post's legroom spec summary for the Prius and Prius v:
    So basically, for rear-facing car seats:

RAV4 > Prius > Prius v

The RAV4 also has the benefit of being taller than the regular Prius so the rear doorway is more open, further making it easier to put kids in and out vs. the Prius. (I didn't mention the Prius v's height because its lack of legroom is a deal killer IMO.)

Chazz8 likes this.
  13. WinterFred

WinterFred New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just want to add my two cents to this..

I tried out a base 2014 Prius v last december and we tried both our car seats to be sure.. We have a Graco snugride 35 for infant seat and an Evenflo Symphony 65 for the older... We brought both the seats to try out rear space and here's what I observed :

The Evenflo will fit anywhere, there's ample room (I'm 6' and my wife is 5'7). For the Graco, which is a very "long" 1st phase seat with a huge base, it will fit behind the passenger seat with relatively comfortable space, even for me.

We did put the rear seats back all the way though.. Has OP tried that? I know for me, this is a dealbreaker for me with the regular Prius.. As the rear seats cannot slide back, there is simply not enough room back there, just like my Mazda3.

My Prius v 2015 is on the way and I can't wait!

14. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes. Rear seats were all the way back.

15. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think the rear legroom is greater in the Prius Liftback because the Prius v was designed for three rows of seats in markets outside of the US and Canada.

16. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We always install in the middle position as it is the safest spot in the car and it uses up the space in between so that both front passengers can recline at will. Toyota doesn't recommend LATCH in the middle so you'll have to secure the child seat with the seatbelt.

Anyway, it's not always about size. Some car seats just fit better in some cars. Your wife shouldn't buy an SUV based on how well the child seat fits. She should buy an SUV she likes then buy a child seat that fits in it.

17. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Ah, that makes sense.

Two kids in rear-facing car seats. One age 2.5, and one age 0.5.

So, basically it's about how well the car seat fits AND if she likes it. :) Luckily she likes the RAV4, and the car seats fit (we tried). She also prefers hybrids, so we're likely going to buy a 2016 RAV4 AWD Limited Hybrid this year.

mmmodem likes this.
  18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh forgot to mention, I had a Recaro child seat rear facing perfect in my PiP. Flip it over to front facing and no go. Slant of the Recaro did not match back seats in any position. The base did not tilt enough. It was buy new car or buy new car seat. We got a new Britax.

19. gertie630

gertie630 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came across this thread while looking for a specific car seat photo. After reading the thread, I just wanted to clarify a few things about the vehicle/seat combos here:
    The install you have in the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) is incorrect, as you cannot recline the vehicle seat like that.
    Toyota does not allow swedish rf tethering. Britax does also not allow it with the CT seats in Canada, you must use the ARB.
    The Rav-4 is a fine vehicle if you do not anticipate more children, but be aware that it is a 4 seater. You can only have 2 people or child restraints in the back at any given time, so that's something to take into consideration.

ETA: I'm tired. I just realized you didn't actually have it installed. :)
    However, with the chicle seat reclined, it's not really an accurate representation of the space allowed, either.

20. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I only reclined the back seat as a last resort to see if it would increase the amount of effective space available for car seat installation, since it didn't fit otherwise. It didn't.

It was just to prove to myself that the Prius v is indeed inappropriate for large rear-facing car seats.

Not sure about what you meant about the reclined child car seat. The recline of the child car seat was appropriate. (The recline of the Prius v's rear seat was not.)

#20 Eug, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015