1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports finally starts testing Gen 5 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Consumer Reports was finally able to buy a 2023 Prius XLE, and the car is now in test. (The car pictured is actually a white LE, but it could be stock photos.)

Expect the results to arrive sometime in July. I will keep updated.

2023 Toyota Prius reviews, ratings, prices—Consumer Reports

#1 Gokhan, Jun 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    djasonw likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So far, only the fuel-economy data is available—not sure if the numbers for 2023, which are likely for the mid-trims, are final. The fuel-economy drop in Gen 5 is roughly 5%, which is about a $75 higher annual cost to average driver in California or 5% increase in CO₂ emissions.

2023 Prius: 49 mpg
    2022 Prius: 52 mpg

2023 Prius Prime: 48 mpg
    2022 Prius Prime: 50 mpg

Unfortunately, Gen 5 suffered from the Trump fuel-economy rollback, and Biden's reversal did not come in time for the Gen 5 redesign; so, we are stuck with a Prius redesign with mediocre fuel economy for the next six years. :(

U.S. boosts fuel efficiency rules as Biden reverses Trump rollback | Reuters

#2 Gokhan, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, what driving condition did they use for the testing? 50mpg for the 22 PP is very low as you know very well.

4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The Confirmation Bias runs very strong in you my friend.

2022 Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 62 2022 Toyota Prius owners

"Based on data from 62 vehicles, 1,339 fuel-ups and 517,093 miles of driving, the 2022 Toyota Prius gets a combined Avg MPG of 50.38 with a 0.54 MPG margin of error."

2023 Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 10 2023 Toyota Prius owners

"Based on data from 10 vehicles, 52 fuel-ups and 19,468 miles of driving, the 2023 Toyota Prius gets a combined Avg MPG of 49.57 with a 1.05 MPG margin of error."

Statistically speaking at this point, the 2023 gives up practically nothing in MPG's and gives back TRUCKLOADS of improved driving satisfaction, appearance, and technological advancements.

ColoradoBoo, tovli, raqball and 4 others like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty amazing considering the wheel sizes

raqball and Preebee like this.
  6. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    And I've got a sneaking suspicion that Hypermilers (who will not be in Lambo Mode very often), are going to be able to break some records with the 2023 LE's.

As everybody knows, the MPG range on a Prius is extremely wide. Some drive around with their pedal to the floor 24/7 and get mid-40's; others drive more carefully and enjoy the following (in a 2019 LE):

20230521_130435.jpg
    I had at least a gallon of gas left when I filled up. Getting 70 MPG's (actual) on a tank is not hard and you don't have to drive like a turtle.

20230608_032616.jpg
    This drive was from stop to stop, had many stoplights and turns, and acceleration to speed was not slow (just under the PWR line).

Can't wait to cruise around in the new 2023. I've heard it tries to stay in EV mode much more than the Gen4's. That should be interesting as I can get 70%+ often on a commute now!

And then if somebody wants to be rude around me, I have enough power on tap to blow their doors off. Sounds like driving Utopia to me. :cool:

7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

If Toyota says 23 gets better mileage I would go with that technically. The Gen 4, and I had/have the 2020 Prime could achieve amazing mpg in hybrid mode. Someone told me their non Prime could and does get 60 mpg and I didn’t really believe them until I saw it for myself. I think the Prime utilizes the larger battery more in hybrid mode to offset the extra weight of the battery. Which brings up if the battery is bigger and heavier, that hurts efficiency.
    I think the Prius shows the average mpg from new, like my Gen 4 Prime says 67 something. I’m trying to work it up higher but shows the previous owner didn’t always drive in ev as much as I plan to. I am not sure if this value can be reset it seems illogical it could be.

#7 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are two portions; track and public roads. They don't test during winter months, and not in any wet weather, but it's Connecticut, so a range of temperatures is possible. They avoid times of traffic for the public roads. The fuel is whatever is at the local station; winter bland availability extends into fall and spring.

I don't think they've ever published things like acceleration rates and speeds.

Without double checking, the new high trims have the same combined EPA as the gen4. The new LE is just a little worse than the old Eco. I wouldn't have expected Toyota to start over reporting Prius values.

The old Prime EPA rating is a little better than the hybrid. The new one is noticably worse*. Safe to safe it went past the point of higher capacity helping hybrid efficiency into the weight hurting.

*Toyota has numbers up on their site, if they haven't gone up on Fueleconomy.gov.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    We are hypermilers. Few other people are. Yes, I get 70 mpg on my Gen 4 Prius Prime, sometimes more, and sometimes a lot more.

Consumer Reports have city and highway cycles. The numbers are the combined numbers. Their city cycle has a cold soak, and the driving cycle is pretty heavy-footed for hypermilers like us, bit it is quite representative of average people.

daisy555, Bob P. and Salamander_King like this.
  10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The mother of all Gen 5 Prius reviews could be another month away:

"Here’s something else that sets us apart: We’re thorough. The staff at most publications spends a day to a week getting to know a car. We drive each vehicle we rate for 2,000 break-in miles over several weeks before we even start formal testing. After that, we do more than 50 tests using state-of-the-art measurement tools."

How Consumer Reports tests cars—Consumer Reports

HacksawMark likes this.
  11. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    They've had the car for at least 2 months. Wrote their own weird review on it a month ago. What's the holdup? There's been 6 billion reviews produced already. The consensus was clear. They missed the window.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ...If there were anything sensational to report, anyway.

They are very thorough in their testing, but they have very occasionally made early reports when there was something groundbreaking.

I'll be shocked if their eventual report is anything other than a long version of "Same MPG, prettier & faster packaging."

Nntw, Merkey, Preebee and 2 others like this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What was weird about it?

14. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  16. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE="...

2023 Prius Prime: 48 mpg
    2022 Prius Prime: 50 mpg

Unfortunately, Gen 5 suffered from the Trump fuel-economy rollback, and Biden's reversal did not come in time for the Gen 5 redesign; so, we are stuck with a Prius redesign with mediocre fuel economy for the next six years. :(

U.S. boosts fuel efficiency rules as Biden reverses Trump rollback | Reuters[/QUOTE]

For those of us who plan to use this car as a BEV for city commuting most of the time, and a PHEV for LONGER, out of town trips, the longer batter range is far more important that the 'fuel economy rollback'.

Blizzard_Persona, bisco and Louis19 like this.
  17. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    In my case, the minimal decrease (if any) in mpg is offset by the fact I would not have owned a prior generation Prius. I like to have a car that is fun to drive, and that does not feel woefully underpowered when I am trying to merge into 70 mile per hour traffic with everyone keeping space between cars that is not adequate anyway. So call me selfish, I want a car that I like to drive and that has enough power to safely drive in high traffic areas. Add to that the fact that with the 2023 Prime most of my driving will be in full EV mode, it is a great car, and it is probably the most environmentally responsible one I would consider if I am not yet going BEV. Without the redesign I would be driving something else. To say that it has "mediocre fuel economy" in light of all this is not accurate. The best fuel economy is to ride a bike or walk, but I cannot always do that.

I am happy to not have to hypermile to get the last few mpg benefits and annoy every other driver on the road that wants to drive at the prevailing speed of traffic. That probably does more damage by turning off people who might be open to not driving a gas guzzler to the whole concept of driving an environmentally responsible car.

TwoGeeks, Nntw, HacksawMark and 4 others like this.
  18. Numtini

Numtini Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I don't think the design of the 2023 has anything to do with that. It's about moving the car into a new sporty market segment and ceding the "practical" segment to the Corolla/Camry hybrids. Just wish we had the Corolla Hatch in a hybrid in the US.

19. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius hybrid's already somewhat irrelevant, thanks to the Corolla sedan and Cross hybrid.

A Corolla Hatch hybrid or PHEV would be the last nail in the coffin.

The Prius Prime, however, doesn't have as many alternatives.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which why Europe is only getting the Prius plug in. They also have a Corolla wagon hybrid in addition to the the sedan and hatch. Aside fro CAFE targets, North America might just be getting the Prius hybrid in order to help keep workers in Japan busy.

Louis19 likes this.