1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continental TrueContact

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kenichols29, Aug 23, 2015.

1. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone tried this tire? I am at 39k miles and it is about time for new tires to replace my oe goodyears and when I got on tire rack these tires were some of the cheaper tires as well as the most highly-rated tire in the 195/65-15 category. Do these tires get better mpg than the oe goodyears? what about the oe Yokohama tires? Does anyone have any better suggestions for a tire, Im looking for a quiet tire that gets better mpg than my oe tires that is under $100 per tire.

2. Bagito

Bagito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was looking for new tires recently as well but in 215/45/17. I was contemplating between the Continental Truecontacts or the Michelin Primacy MXH4. My local tire shop had both tires in stock. The Continentals were $121 p/tire and the michelins were on sale for $115 p/tire. Regular price $158 p/tire. The manager at my local tire shop said the continentals aren't as fuel efficient As the michelins. Both had good reviews on tire rack but I ultimately chose the michelins.

Another factor in my decision was F8L's review on the Michelins.

Michelin Primacy MXM4 Review | PriusChat

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got em last Nov and we like em. Can't say much about MPG as we have changed habit to short trips around town. I'd be expecting similar MPG to GY and maybe a couples less than Ecopia 422 and Mich Energy A/S.
    Be sure to check out TireRack.com ratings, tests and user inputs

4. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    EP422plus I luv them

kenichols29 likes this.
  5. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is the highest rated tire on tirerack.com. It is also 1/3 less expensive than the Michelin Premier A/S. Unless something changes it will likely be my choice but that will be years from now.

6. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've driven a Prius with Continental ProContact, and Continental PureContact. Both tires were very good. The ProContacts were pretty quiet and very smooth, while still being very directional. Didn't have to adjust course all the time. The PureContacts were noisier, but were better in snow and still very stable. MPG not quite as good with the PureContacts.

The TrueContacts are most likely quite a bit better tire. They get top ratings in surveys. I have a friend that drives a Honda Civic and loves his TrueContacts. I would have little reservation about installing a set of Continental TrueContacts if I were going to use the 15" wheels on my Prius again. I switched to the 17 inch Prius wheels this Spring.