1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Converting HID to Halogen Housings & LED

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by joeslawn, Sep 14, 2020.

1. joeslawn

joeslawn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 Prius with 279K miles on it. I have had problems with the passenger headlight ever since I got the car. They are the HID headlights, and I've just had enough of dealing with the HID system, between the leveler screwing up and the passenger headlight randomly switching off. The headlights are also really fogged up and not easily cleanable.

So, I bought some halogen housings. Got them bolted in and wired them up like this: Pink off of low beam power to low beam side on h4 connector, purple off of high beam shutter to high beam side on h4 connector, and white/black wires to ground. I believe that these cars might be negative switched???? so that is why I'm having issues???? Low beam side works fine, can't get high beam side to work unless I have +12v to both high and low beam???

I've got these headlight bulbs: CSP BEAMTECH H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs S1 Series High and Low Beam KIT Fanless
    CSP BEAMTECH H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs S1 Series High and Low Beam KIT Fanless | eBay

5Pin Automotive Car Relay Switch Harness Socket Waterproof 40A 12VDC 12AWG | eBay I also have 5 of these relays.

If you have any idea what I'm dealing with please comment. Just knowing if it's negative switched would solve a lot of issues at this point.

I got the low beam side to work, can't seem to get high beam side to work, unless I have power to both low and high beams???? I believe that this car might be negative switched so I need a relay to convert it to positive switched?

I currently have the low side connected to pink wire and high beam side connected to purple wire and negative wires connected together to ground.

I have the low beams connected to the original power for the car, and the high beams connected to the high beam shutter. Both wires are on 10A fuses. I did blow the high beam fuse shorting it out but figured that out and replaced it still not working right.

See this page, and post #20. I wired it up like that and it still wouldn't work on high beam.

How to convert from hid to halogen | PriusChat

I have all the relays to make this harness if I need to do so.

2. 2Fats

2Fats Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm sorry that I can't help you on the wiring, but is there a chance you would sell the old housings? I've got a project in mind if shipping isn't too horrible.

3. joeslawn

joeslawn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to update. I didn't realize that I had the wiring screwed up. Black coming out of the H4 is ground... did not have black connected to ground. Decided to do the other side today and figured this out, and then got the relay setup as well. If I hadn't put in the relay I would have had Hi and Lo beam on at all times and that wouldn't do. There is another thread on Prius Chat where they have the relay diagram and I assumed the diagram of the H4 plug was correct and it is not correct.

2Fats likes this.
  4. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very interested if you get this working. ALOT of people will do this I’m sure.

iPhone ?

5. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  6. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model: