1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Correct way to replace rear pads & discs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Steve Ball, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Steve Ball

Steve Ball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Hi All -

2012 Prius with 86,000 miles, owned since new.

I searched the forum, but couldn't see an exact how-to for doing the rear brakes.

I'm now on to my 4th set of rear brakes and pads (OK, in nearly ten years), however they always end up wearing unevenly (wearing on the inside edge of the pads eventually to metal on metal, while the outside edge has all the pad left), and I'm wondering that it's likely I have done something wrong ... each and every time...

I have the tool to wind the piston back. I have cleaned and greased, and replaced, the caliper pins. The pads are fitted correctly. The brakes have new fluid and have been bled.

I just read though something about having the caliper piston at a certain 90 degrees - which I never have done. I have just had it wound inwards enough to get the new pads on.

Am I missing an important "doh" step? I have changed many brakes on many cars, and only on the rears of my Prius do I get this issue... For around $100, pads and rotors, plus my time, I've just ate that up each time (and to be fair, this is its only expense...) but I must be doing something wrong, no?

Thanks for any hints or pointers.

Steve

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What you read about is correct.. pay close attention to the drawing..
    Screenshot_20210428-133203.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

sLick415 likes this.
  4. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of many videoclips from NutzAboutBolts about Prius stuff.

5. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "One of many videoclips from NutzAboutBolts about Prius stuff."

Also: be SURE to see the NutzAboutBolts video on Prius brake bleeding (which is NOT the same as brake bleeding on most cars), just to make sure you actually did that properly. Note that experience on working on other vehicles mat NOT apply in the case of the Prius.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    :ROFLMAO:Oh Lordy...:ROFLMAO:

yeah look at @ttou68 ’s pic of the rear caliper piston orientation. Everything HAS to go back together like that, so a little pin on back of brake pad is BETWEEN the raised spikes in that pattern, and it needs to be solidly SEATED thus, to prevent the piston rotating, pin riding up on spoke. Accordingly:

1. Put together thus. Don’t apply parking brake.

2. depress brake pedal multiple times. This gets everything seated.

3. reconnect 12 volt neg cable (this should be disconnected at the outset) and go for short test drive. Go easy on brakes, no hard stops.

4. Get home, apply/release park brake several times, raise rear, verify wheels turn semi-freely:

CR94, Tande and frodoz737 like this.