1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Counting Battery Modules or Blocks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by R_W, May 5, 2020.

1. R_W

R_W Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For the past couple of months, I've been getting intermittent P0A80 errors and Dr Prius says there's a problem with Block 4, so I ordered a couple of modules and want to make certain I know which block is which. Searching the forum, it looks like Gen1 and Gen2 may have numbered the blocks in different directions, but I've yet to find anything definitive about Gen3.

Below is a pic with the computer/fan end visible. The numbers are some I put on with a Sharpie before doing any research about the numbering order, so I could make a spreadsheet of the voltages with a multimeter. If someone would be so kind... is my cell or module 1 actually number 1 or is it really 28? The car is a 2010.

upload_2020-5-5_1-38-8.png

If the battery was in the car, I'd be standing behind it, numbering on the interior side.

Thanks

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know which one is considered the first pack, but if you have the voltages, you should be able
    to figure out which is #4 by the lower voltage. At least that would make sense to be.
    Long time ago I saw a video of someone rebuilding the battery and said which one is the 1st pack.
    But I cannot remember. There is a school in Wisconsin that is very good, that's probably where I
    saw that. If you do search you should be able to find it.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

3. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found this here on PC.

Battery blocks are counted from the module which you attach the negative lead, voltage grows with each block. Voltage at block 1 will be ~16 volts, voltage at block 14 will be ~224 volts.

Gen 2 and gen 3 are the opposite. Gen 2 uses a long negative lead and a short positive lead, gen 3 uses a short negative lead and a long positive lead.

If you're working on a Camry or Lexus battery and are confused which block is which just follow the negative lead to block 1.

PriFi and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. R_W

R_W Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have seen the language about the negative lead before, but then it says something about the Camry.

Using the concept of a short, negative lead. The wire from the computer connected to the side marked negative looks to be the module I have marked as number 1?

Another thing that made me question is that the modules I have marked as 2 and 3 look to be paired because they share a bus bar connector, while number 1 is separated by the rubbery plastic like is between my modules 3 and 4, but I've seen people ask about that before and my understanding is that it might just look weird and may not mean anything at all.

IMG_20200504_141256120.jpg

I took the voltages hoping that would help me figure out if I needed one module or two, but the car doesn't always throw the code and when I checked, the differences between voltages did not seem that significant. (Though I think I'll map again)

As always, thanks to everyone for the help

#4 R_W, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  5. Tickyboo

Tickyboo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On Gen 3 the first cell on the electronic side is No.28. You will notice the two black connecting rods has one side attached by a metal link, this is at the far end of the electronics on the Gen 3 whereas it is on the electronic side in Gen 2.

6. Tickyboo

Tickyboo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The bus bars are behind the black cover, which is behind the orange case that is visible. Once you remove all the covers and get to the cooper bus bars, it connects 1&2 3&4 in series.

7. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to make it clear the number 1 module is closest to the orange safety plug and is from right to left 1-28 and block 4 is numbers 7&8

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Tickyboo

Tickyboo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, i was wrong above, Gen 3 modules start from the Electronic side. I replaced all 28 and had the same confusion. However, since i replaced all the modules, it did’nt matter much as long as all the balanced modules went in pairs.

9. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Is this the same for the Prius C, module 1 is the closest to the orange safety plug?