1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

crash accident - rear-ended in my prime yesterday

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nanobozho, Apr 13, 2018.

1. kaliyatsia

kaliyatsia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the push-bars from the suv dug some gouges here & there... nothing seems to be crumpled, the rear hatch opens and closes... am a little worried about the batteries... it did charge last night, but still concerned...

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you talking about a Prime (Prius PHV) or the 2009 Prius listed in your profile?
    A rear collision would not get near the traction battery in either vehicle. The 12 volt auxiliary battery might be affected in a 2009 Prius since it is in the rear of the vehicle.

3. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Got my lower bumper fixed and got a system checked that no internal issues. ie: The Lithium battery is fine.

During my body shop visit, they did show me the steel bar behind the bumper was fine. They did show me another Prime where the steel bar got crushed a bit forward which needed a replacement. The system check on that one also came back zero damage to the battery. Based on this incident, Prius Prime in general is very safe protecting that battery. I assume the rest BEV like Leaf/Tesla should be the same.

Now I need to fix my whiplash pain which is not critical but I should recover in a week or two.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Make sure the at fault person or their insurance company pays for the PT and related medical costs. Or is all that covered with your country's medical insurance?

No way the battery was touched with the impact you described. Actually, I'm surprised you got whiplash if all your car suffered was some marking from the other car's license plate screws. I was rear ended in my '04 when it was 3 months old and I was stopped at a red light behind several cars. Had to have the lady back up to remove the acorn nuts holding her plate on from my rear bumper so similar impact to yours. No medical damage to any of the 4 people in my car. No medical injuries when it was rear ended 8 years later on an interstate onramp. Hit hard enough that the car was totalled. Didn't look anywhere near as bad as @jerrymildred's car. And no medical damage when my wife and I were stopped at a stop sign and rear ended in her '06. Damaged the car to almost totalled (it was 11 years old at the time).

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the impact started, the boom in the cabin was huge by surprise. I went out like nothing happened and we did exchange our information. We were going to leave and deal with it privately but I forgot to take a picture of the other car's damage (Her bumper's corner was cracked and costs more to fix than mine), so I went back out from my car. After the picture taken, I started to get dizziness and wanted to throw up. That is when the EMS/Firefighter came. I had back surgery 10+ years ago and my upper back pain is different than what I had 10 years ago. Everyone is different. Long story short, my headache is gone now. The lady that hit me was a nurse as well. She said I got a "shock". My hands was shaking like crazy during that time (first time experience in my life).

I called my insurance company to make the claim as I didn't know how much damage the battery would have caused based on this impact. I surely will not take any chance. All the expenses have to be exhausted with my company's benefits before the insurance claim to kick in even if it is not my fault (stupid government legislated law).

Anyway, car is fixed, battery healthy, my health is 98% fixed, just some sore left...

I really wish all cars come standard with front end TSS like our Toyota has (otherwise it would have been stopped faster for her). We can't force antique, older cars but there is always a risk for driving. Also we don't get diminished value compensation to our damaged cars even when it is not our fault. That is what my insurance company said, if we drive, we are taking a chance to lose in either ways unless we drive the car until it is RIP. If we trade/sell, there is always a carfax attached to it and we are always the losers.

Mendel Leisk likes this.