1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaking coming from right rear on Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SteveMucc, Mar 28, 2018.

1. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    FYI, I have had a creaking noise from my right rear that has been getting progressively worse. Finally got it into the dealer and they're replacing the right upper control arm (and various small parts). Person I talked to wasn't very technical and couldn't tell me much other than that they've done it for a couple other Prius'.

I'll find out more from the tech tomorrow, but I bought this car new in September and it just had it's 10K done two weeks ago (tech couldn't hear the creak then... it's gotten worse since).

I'm a bit surprised that it could have worn enough to cause an issue this quickly, and concerned that I'm not the only one.

Jeff Cohen likes this.
  2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That sounds like a defect rather than wear. fwiw, I got my Prime in June and got past my 10,000 mile check up a month ago. No creaking yet...

3. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well let me know if that doesnt cure the noise since our policy is if it doesnt happen we dont fix. NO offense but that is how liability issues start. It could have happened to another tech and once they checked it out determined it was the same issue. Sometimes it does have to get worse to pinpoint it. Noise transmits worse through suspension, drivetrain, and certain powertrain parts. I hope they take care of you though.

4. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    some follow up. What actually happened is that the mounting bolt on the upper control arm was poorly tightened. This allowed it to wear through the control arm until it cracked under stress. It wasn't a design defect at all but in fact it was an assembly issue (must have been really poorly tightened to allow that much wear in so few miles (less than 10K on car)).

Chazz8 and Bob Comer like this.