1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise control (CC) - re-engaging NOT working every time ???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ksor, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let's say we are driving 70 with CC set to that speed.

Of some reason you press the brake and slow down to 63 and want to re-engage the CC to former speed 70 - pressing it UP does NOT allways work !

IF the braking results in a speed of - let's say 50 - I could understand it will not re-engage because of the rule that if the speed falls under 10 below the CC-set speed the CC will dis-engage ... so maybe that's why it won't re-engage in this situation !

... but MOST of the time it won't even re-engage if the current speed is HIGHER than 10 below the set CC speed !

Can you see this problem on YOUR Prius too ?
    (Mine is a Prius 2008)

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only when the speed drops before re-engaging. Otherwise I have never experienced this in my 2006.

Tom

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not aware of such a rule. When you apply the brake pedal, the cruise control will immediately disengage.

If you find that the restore mode of the cruise control is intermittent, I would say the most likely cause is a faulty switch.

4. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IF the switch should be the cause then the functionality "stepping up" the CC-speed by shortly pushing the lever UP should be un-stable too - but it isn't - I can increase the CC-speed by tepping the CC-lever UP and feel the car in fact IS accelerating - and it accelerate by every up-ward tapping.

5. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My manual states what I interprets that when you'r driving with CC - let's say set at 70 - and you'r facing a long and steep raise in the road where the speed of the car is forced downwards - even though you ARE driving CC - and the speed continues to fall and falls below - in this case - 70-10=60 then the CC will be disengaged caused by the "rule" I'm talking about.

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is such a rule on the Gen II, although I don't recall the exact speed delta. It's listed in the manual.

Tom

7. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If your Cruise light is blinking on the dash this is a brake issue not a cruise issue. Do a search on here for "blinking cruise light" and it explains it further I believe. Or I am sure Guru Patrick knows of this.

As for the delta dis-engaging the cruise I have never experienced that and find it hard to believe it ever would. I have climbed some major hills with the cruise inlcuding up I-40 near Old Fort and up "7 mile hill" on I-77 on the NC/VA border and never had cruise dis-engage. Granted the MPG's fall well below 20 but the little engine just hammers away.

I had the cruise light blinking issue and it went away when I clean and adjusted the brakes but came back a month or so later. It didn't go completely away until I had the brakes replaced around 200,000. I haven't seen it with this set yet and they have 117,000 on them now.

I hope this helps.

Chris

8. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  9. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My CC light on the dash board is not blinking - it's stable and shows nicely the state of the ON/OFF switch of the CC lever.

Strange what brakes and CC has to do with each other :confused:

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One of the brake switches disables CC when you hit the brakes - right :)

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Gen II Prius uses a double pole switch on the brake pedal. One pole lights the brake lights and disengages CC, the other allows the Prius to shift into D.

Tom