1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead aux, HV, or both?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by k1ngn0thing, Mar 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought an 07 in May 2017 from a dealer with ~218,000 miles. They installed a new HV battery prior to purchase. About a month and a half ago my starter battery died. Got it jumped and everything was fine until this morning, when a bunch of lights came on. Did some driving and some went off, leaving the red triangle exclamation and check engine lights on. OBD shows code C1241 as "current' and p0a80 "pending." I'm assuming the latter will be resolved when I put a new 12v battery in. Probably drove 30 mins total today, but it was not all one trip and definitely didn't charge the battery enough as it now sits dead after a few minutes of troubleshooting, which included trying to enter the on-board diagnostic mode to check the 12v battery voltage. However, whenever I tried to flick the headlights on and off 3x as is required, the system would reboot as soon as the lights came on. There was some heavy rain yesterday and I found flooding in the trunk, but doesn't appear to have made contact with the HV. I've put less than 10k miles on it since the new HV was installed so it doesn't seem likely that this is the issue and can't do much but wait until my new aux comes in, but wanted to get some feedback from those who have been in a similar situation. Here's a video which might help. I don't remember ever seeing this kind of behavior on the display (tire pressure light is on because new sensor isn't calibrated). You can also hear a sloshing sound shortly after the engine starts up. Also note how the engine briefly starts and dies before starting back up:

c1241.jpg p0a80.jpg dash.jpg water.jpg waater.jpg

#1 k1ngn0thing, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you buy the car from a Toyota dealer? The HV battery is the starter battery, The fact you needed to jump the car indicates a failing 12 volt battery.
    If you did not buy from a Toyota dealer they likely did not get a new battery from a Toyota dealer but installed a battery repaired using old modules.. Toyota is the only source of new battery packs.
    P0A80 usually indicates a HV battery issue.
    A user here has started selling a kit of new cells to DIY repair a battery pack, but I believe they are backordered. The info is in my signature.

k1ngn0thing and edthefox5 like this.
  3. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't a Toyota dealer, so I guess they could have said "new" and actually put in a rebuilt, though they did use the word New on the documentation. Won't bother getting into that until I try the new battery. My MPG has also been consistently 45+, and I think that was the case today as well.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't worry until you get an new 12v in there and are still having problems.

If the 12v is weak it will tell you all sorts of falsehoods, from there are kittens in the engine filter compartment to aliens in the backseat.

You still having problems after the new 12v, post back. Until then, a bit pointless.

Disclaimer
    Hmmm, I guess according to the new unofficial proposed guidelines here, I need to state that I am not, nor have I ever been an expert on Prius cars, or any cars, or anything for that matter. Nor, am I now, or I have ever been a member of the Bull Moose Party.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prodigy for the win.

6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks.
    I am still a newbie but I try and learn from the experienced and assist where I can.

padroo and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both Prodigy and ETF5 are disqualified as they did not post a disclaimer.

But, in all seriousness, there certainly could be an issue with the "NEW" traction battery, but again, get the 12v squared away before going too ballistic about anything else.

Raytheeagle and edthefox5 like this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to drain any standing water in the spare tire and 12v battery well by removing the rubber plug(s).

There are many threads that address roof line and hatch related leaks, this link should get you started.

https://priuschat.com/threads/water-leak-into-spare-tire-area-etc.60295

9. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    replaced 12v, took a short trip, drove fine, then on the way back the lights came on and the HV battery dropped to 1 bar. I'm pretty sure I still heard water moving around, so maybe water got to my HV? is there anywhere for water to pool in that area? how can I check without killing myself?

here's a video shortly after the lights came on:

this was taken after parking. what is that whirring sound after turning the car off?

10. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    my mileage is all over the place, and it feels like my brakes sometimes briefly cut out.

11. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    thinking I might try to rebalance. is there a better way than spending $400 on the Prius Chat shop's charger?

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the HV battery new or otherwise?

13. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    dealer put a "new" one in when I bought it 10 months ago, but now I'm assuming they simply replaced the faulty cells considering I got it for 4 grand.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do NOT buy from the PriusChat Shop. Unfortunately people have not had good experiences there lately.
    They are picturing the older version of the Prolong charger by Hybrid Automotive. The owner, @jeff652 is well respected here. They now have an intelligent discharger that, combined with the charger helps recondition the battery. You can order directly from Hybrid Automotive.

The Deluxe reconditioning package is $668. Prolong® Deluxe Reconditioning Package - Hybrid Automotive

The charger only, with a discharge ready harness, is $399. Prolong® Battery Charger - Hybrid Automotive

#14 Prodigyplace, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Given my battery is already in poor health, will this be sufficient, or do you think I'll have to replace cells?

#15 k1ngn0thing, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @jeff652 sometimes responds here but people have been very pleased with advice given by calling Hybrid Automotive. @Raytheeagle or others here could advise better than I.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I helped a member here at the end of last year swap a couple of modules into his pack (he had 2 fail) and his battery is stronger than ever:).

Some questions:

• Has your battery thrown any codes?
    • How many miles?
    • Original pack?
    • Are you the DIY type?
    • Where in the USA are you located?
    Havin shares this experience with another member and owning the equipment myself, if (and this is a big if since I have started reconditioning before our 2010’s pack was further down the path) I had a failed module, I’d swap it out and recondition the pack ;).

I think the equipment is a great investment, particularly if you live near others that you can share with(y).

SFO likes this.
  18. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    listed the codes above. 226k miles but "new" pack was put in 8k miles ago, but could have just been a few new cells. I'm the DIY type when risk is low enough or I can't afford to not DIY. I'm located on the complete opposite end of the country in MA. I think I'm going to buy the deluxe reconditioning package just so I don't have to deal with this crap on a regular basis down the line. Depending on how bad things look with the OBD I might just not replace any cells for now. Even if I get 6 months before a cell needs replacing, it will be less of a hit to the wallet than buying everything at once.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid automotive also sells used modules if you need them. They test them and guarantee for a year IIRC.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are a couple of members on here that have the Prolong equipment that might be willing to share their experience: @VFerdman was one of them.

The PA080 is a sign of the hv battery pack failing, but doesn’t give enough detail:(.

If the DIY type, I’d go on amazon and look for Mini VCI J2534 cord and find an old laptop. This will give you the ability to have Techstream assist in code reading:).

I used it this morning to support another member on a project. It has many uses and can help you determine the true root cause fnyour issue. Here’s a screen shot from my laptop which gives you the individual block voltages as well as internal resistances:

B8347EE0-3BAC-48AE-83FF-532343A2AC6B.jpeg B495522F-EA4E-4233-8FDD-959A373F8356.jpeg

The reconditioning equipment will be useful if you decide to go that route:).

Keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.