1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says do not change ATF until 150k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FlyFast93, Aug 5, 2018.

1. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have read about others changing ATF fluid, but two mechanics at dealership here says they do not change before 150k.
    Pros/Cons?

Biggest con I have heard is regarding moisture intrusion when you open it up...significant concern?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and advice on this.

DLC82SV likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles on your Prius now?

Do you have the ability to do this yourself?

I waited until 140 k miles on our 2010 and wished I didn’t.

So when we bought our 2017 RX450h, I got the trans axle fluids changed done at 6800 miles;).

Go ahead and change the fluid :).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Bay Stater and DLC82SV like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would take one zero off that number, make it 15,000 miles. Then maybe after another 30K, then 60K thereafter. In my experience the first change was the darkest, with a mere 15K kms, then subsequent changes were cleaner and cleaner.

What's that song: the first cut is the deepest? (n)

Bay Stater, scona and ITBland like this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ask them how many turd gen have reported moisture in atf after change? In here- 0.

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How often do Gen3 transaxles fail? Rarely - or at least not often enough for us to hear commentary about it.

If the intent of scheduled maintenance is to reduce operating costs, why are we performing extra maintenance when the lifetime fill recommendation is clearly “adequate” for most vehicles?

This is just food for thought. I still change mine....but it is probably unnecessary.

Bay Stater, MelonPrius and royrose like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Still, not a big investment in $'s and effort: DIY transaxle fluid change is about the time and complexity of an oil change, and costs about $40, for four quarts/liters of ATF WS fluid plus the 2 washers.

Bay Stater, ITBland and frodoz737 like this.
  7. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I want to understand the (y) at the end of certain comments? Care to elaborate please & thank you?

#7 DLC82SV, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do the change early.

Or if not done early, do the drain and fill at a convenient time.

Hope that helps(y).

Bay Stater and Grit like this.
  9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We do them at 100k .. the fluid looks decent. My first that hit 200 looked decent as well. We do them with an oil change at 100k and the 200k we do the coolant as well. It takes almost as much time to check as it does to replace -- so I want to have a service check why not add the 4 quarts of fluid.

DLC82SV likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I don't see the point to level check, it never budges; maybe just sub "change" for "check" in the schedule.

11. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All great comments. I have 136k and will plan to do the change myself. I have done Radiator, Inverter, and Brake Fluid drain/refills. All easy thanks to the amazing "Nutz about Bolts" videos. Now I can't do car work without WiFi...funny.
    The hardest part was the darn plastic undercover.... I think I need a handful of the fasteners now to hang it back securely.

Bay Stater, DLC82SV and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pry the fasteners out carefully, and rinse them in hot/soapy water before reinstalling: its grit that jams/breaks them. (y)

13. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Anyplace to buy replacements other than dealer?

iPhone ?

DLC82SV likes this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Amazon (y).

15. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    At certain miles checking is in order -- with so little fluid any leak would drop and it's been my experience that small leaks are not all that noticeable. I'm not going to pay someone to remove the cover -- the marginal cost of doing the whole service is so small.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I typically toss stuff like this into the cart when I buy other items from an online dealer -- that way I don't pay for shipping a small cheap parts and I get the correct one. Some of these small parts are strange and the generics don't hold up. That's not saying the ones from amazon are not correct. I find the OE Toyota filters to be reasonably priced when sourced form online dealers -- something cheaper than aftermarket and I always get the OE inserts. I just got OE coolant for $21 delivered ?

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Personally, and that's with the abysmal online shopping situation up here, and also to make sure I don't get cheap knock-offs, I just head for the dealership. Still, I can't recall the last time I needed to replace any. It's been about 8 years, and I believe I did replace one or two for broken jaws, but it's so long ago. I have one or two spares in a bag in the glove box, so I musta, lol.

The part numbers are shown in the attachment. It's basically two larger ones (with grey heads) at the back, at the oil change access flap (which I never use). They are part number:

Item 5, p/n 90467-09227 Thicker Metal & Plastic Clips

And the rest, the majority, eleven I believe (count in the attachment):

Item 3, p/n 90467-07201 Thin Metal & Plastic Clips

There's also a couple of "internal" clips, that connect the side edge of the oil change flap to the main portion. You can see them in the attachment. If you're always removing the whole underpanel you don't deal with those.

Then at the front there's six bolts, all the same, item 2, no p/n indicated. They're fairly durable, and shouldn't get lost. The two ways I can think of to lose them:

1. You leave them loose while pushing in the plastic fasteners, then forget to torque them, and they subsequently rattle lose and fall off. Yes, I've done this, found some similar bolts from my Honda collection.

2. You oil them up and tighten them down good, snapping the heads off. Be careful with them, they're small bolts, shoulder bolts IIRC, meant to torque against the car body, and have the "shoulder" gently hold the plastic panel.

FWIW, I've had the engine cover off close to twenty times now (15~16 times for oil changes and/or transaxle fluid changes, and other times for access), and I can't remember the last time I needed to replace a plastic push-in fastener. What helps is careful/patience removal, and always washing them out. I used an improvised tool, actually a paint can opener, the most:

upload_2018-8-7_7-20-20.png

It's 90 degree hook blade is very effective for gently prying/levering the fastener caps up. A slim blade screwdriver sometimes is more effective, and I'll also use this, especially if the cap is up but it's still not popping out:

upload_2018-8-7_7-22-29.png
    And again, again, again: always wash the grit out before reinstalling. I would stick with the correct fasteners: they have the correct diameter and "reach".

Attached Files:

#17 Mendel Leisk, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Bay Stater and FlyFast93 like this.
  18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Priuschat...the only place I know where nobody trusts or believes Dealership Mechanics...until they tell then not to maintain their vehicles. :rolleyes:

Bay Stater, Threej and DLC82SV like this.
  19. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    " Priuschat...the only place I know where nobody trusts or believes Dealership Mechanics...until they tell then not to maintain their vehicles."

Too true, and funny. Like most things, self-research and trusting the wide field of self-made experts helps -- thanks to all!

Mendel Leisk ==> Thanks for the detail. My 2nd removal will go better !
    (apparently to do my ATF change)

Bay Stater, DLC82SV and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.