1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disabling Toyota's On-Star-like emergency call "feature"

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by IntnsRed, Jun 11, 2021.

1. IntnsRed

IntnsRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 2018 Prius Prime Advanced has an emergency "feature" which is similar, I assume, to GM's On-Star function. If I flip a little door open and push a button I can call and report my accident or some such thing.

I was told by the Toyota dealer when I purchased the car that feature could be turned off.

Talking to my local Toyota dealer they say they will not disable this "feature."

My position is simple: I do not want the vehicle to be able to radio out or be able to communicate unless some tech plugs in an ODBII monitor or whatever.

Does anyone know any details on removing or disabling this "feature" on the Prius?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything in the manual?

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may be slightly different for your 2018 PP Advance. Pre 2019 model PP, only Advanced had the Safety Connect service. The service was off by default and you had to opt-in in order to activate the servive. If you did opt-in to the service, you had 3 years trial. At the end of the trial, you can renew or cancel the service. For post-2020 PP models, the Safety Connect service was standard in all trim levels. The service is opt-in by default. By agreeing to purchase a Toyota vehicle, a buyer was giving consent to having this service enabled. The only way to opt-out was to cancel the service via Toyota App or by contacting Toyota.

Here is my write-up on how I opt-out from the Saftey Connect on my 2020 PP LE.
    No more Entune for 2020 Prius Prime, but... | PriusChat

And here is a similar thread that deals with canceling Safety Connect:
    Canceling Toyota's Safety Connect Contract | PriusChat

#3 Salamander_King, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    lbligh and Valiant V like this.
  4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, just don't pay and it will eventually be shut off. (red light I think) Pretty sure you can access this service via the owner's page at Toyota.com.

Valiant V likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Paranoid much ?
    It should do NOTHING unless you push the button.
    I don't see a problem.

But I do agree that we should be a LOT more aware of devices that communicate without our knowledge.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As @Salamander_King kindly mentioned, and as stated in Toyota’s Privacy Notice, you can contact Toyota to deactivate the Connected Services feature. It’s not clear to me, however, if this stops all communication and data collection: the Notice describes eight categories of information collected by Toyota, but only four of those are mentioned in the discussion of deactivation.
    That may not be so: even after having been “deactivated,” I imagine the car’s cellular modem—which Toyota calls the Data Communication Module (DCM) or telematics transceiver, and which I discussed here in November 2017 and October 2020—still checks in with the network periodically, to see if the service has been re-activated.

That activity is almost certainly logged somewhere, and I can appreciate that some people might prefer not to create such records of their movements. (Such people would also be well advised not to carry a mobile phone, either, unless it’s turned off or in airplane mode, so it won’t register on the network.)

In addition to the DCM, the car uses radio for other purposes that may also have security or privacy implications. For example, the radio head unit has a Bluetooth interface, and the TPMS sensors transmit not only the tire pressure and temperature, but also unique IDs, which could in principle be tracked.
    If just deactivating the service doesn’t provide sufficient assurance, you could remove or disconnect the DCM. You might be tempted to just pull the 10 A DCM/MAYDAY fuse, which has no other loads, but the DCM has a second power connection and an internal backup battery, since it needs to work after a collision that might have damaged the car’s electrical system.

In a glance through the Repair Manual (more info), I didn’t see anything suggesting that the car’s other computers are likely to store diagnostic trouble codes or otherwise complain about a missing DCM. That would make sense, since Toyota sells versions of the car without it.

The connections between the radio head unit (the large touchscreen) and the right front speaker and the microphone in the map light assembly do go through the DCM, so if you remove or disconnect it, you’ll probably want to splice those wires or, if you’d rather not do anything permanent, re-arrange the terminals into an ad-hoc junction connector. See the Electrical Wiring Diagram for details.

To complete the job, you’d replace the map light assembly with one that lacks the “SOS” button, part number 81208-47070-B0. Providing other means of emergency communications is left as an exercise for the reader.

#6 Elektroingenieur, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    True. "collecting" isn't really the problem.
    Transmitting it without your knowledge IS.

lbligh likes this.
  8. IntnsRed

IntnsRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What's that old saying about not being paranoid if they're really out to get you? :)

The US gov't has used GM's On-Star to listen in on conversations while suspects drove. The US gov't records every one of our phone calls. We were told that was "needed" because of terrorism. But the NYT reported the NSA now gives some of the calls to the DEA regarding drug cases and the DEA passes that down to local PDs.

I don't want my Prius to have the ability to talk to anyone without my permission.

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Total, utter and complete BS.
    Not even the phone companies do that.

lbligh likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Get a horse.
    But be sure that he can't talk.
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just to be clear, I completely understand your concern.
    I have removed the transmitter from my CPAP machine.
    And we don't have an "smart speakers" or "smart appliances" in the house, partly for that reason.
    But you need to think each situation through to be sure you aren't "shooting yourself in the foot" sometimes.
    I think this might be one of those times.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I presume that there is a combination of a GPS (GNSS) receiver and an electronic device (usually comprising a GSM GPRS modem or SMS sender) installed in the vehicle.
    If you find it, look for a very small wire plugged into something like THIS.

upload_2021-7-8_10-8-36.jpeg

Unplugging that might make it more difficult for the car to talk with the mothership - but....beware!
    My 2020 (GM) has already undergone 2 OTA software updates, even though I pay for NO On* products.
    Sometimes?
    You WANT those updates.

If you find a way to put your car in "airplane" mode, without disabling some key feature or violating some obscure term in the wordy EULA for your vehicle, then you will become what I like to call "statistically interesting."

These are the people that dot.gov and dot.com pay MORE attention to. ;)

or?
    You can buy a used Veedubbaya Bug.

Your call.

Good Luck!

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he is confusing that with their alleged collection of excessive amounts of metadata that they don't necessarily have legal rights to. At least by publicly known interpretations of the law, which don't necessarily bear much similarity to their internal secret interpretations.

I doubt that the gub'mint or phone companies have enough storage ability to record all the actual phone conversations in any usable fashion. That metadata helps them select which ones to record.