1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display now shows individual tire pressure?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ReDave, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ONLY in those vehicles actually equipped to show each individual tire. Otherwise it doesn't care.
    (I edited my previous post to include that note.)

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm fine with just a notice if a tire is 5 lbs different then the others, I can remember what tire leaks and where I put it when rotating, if the alarm goes off a tire needs attention, no biggie;)

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After putting a ScanGauge on a previous car (Before Prius), I learned that the temperature gauge was highly non-linear. Its normal pattern of rock steady operating temperature wasn't because the actual water temperature was really constant, but because everything from 150F to 210F was compressed to the same point on the gauge.

4. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not just for that though. As most note tire pressure being a major factor in gas mileage, it's nice to be able to check each tire's pressure without doing the usual. I know it's nice, because my back went out the last time I did it and filled them.

If you think about the world in general, wouldn't it be nice if all cars had accurate tire pressure readings in the cabin? More people would know, and we know most don't ever look at their TP.

I'm trying to save the world here come on!

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I think all the parts are in place to display individual pressures, all that's needed it's the software programming. My owner's manual says that this feature is already there. And apparently mine isn't the only one. The OP has a 2011, I have a 2013, and I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention that they have it. So, has Toyota put this feature in any of the cars? In my opinion, this is a practical feature that wouldn't have cost any more since the parts are already there. Somebody has already done the programming since the screen shots are in the manual. It's in the manual and in my manual I don't see where it's trim level dependant. So where is it?

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We rented a Cruze in CA (could not get a Prius for drop off in WA) and the tire pressures and temps were smack in your face with a button push. It is absolutely ridiculous to not have the TPMS data visible in a Prius. Big loss of potential. Almost equivalent to not showing MPG...sure we can live without it, but who wants to live without it?

#46 wjtracy, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Tande, Ashlem and Robert Holt like this.
  7. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Boy would I like pressures AND temps. This summer we drove to Midwest when temps in DC area were near 100, and I was really wondering how hot my tires were getting as we sped westward and how the heat was affecting the tire pressures as I run my tires at 40+.. In the distant past I have had heat-related carcass failures and blowouts, and I really did not want that to happen on Penn Turnpike on the mountain curves (difficult to control). I Would need to have also have good guidance on pressure and temperature maximums for each make and model of tire to use with that dashboard info, but that should be obtainable. Hmmm.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PA Turnpike oh man I am from Pittsburgh so I love it. Hey they kept those mountain curves at 55 MPH what were they thinking? That would be 75 MPH in CA.

The other TPMS issue is when you lose one TPMS unit/battery you lose all information in a Prius. If you had all the tire pressures - like on Techstream or a Cruze- you could see you have one NA reading and the rest you'd see the pressures/Temps.

We currently have one bad TPMS, but I figured a hack to fake out the system to cover my last three tires.
    TPMS Management with Techstream | Page 2 | PriusChat

#48 wjtracy, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Robert Holt likes this.
  9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For those who wish the TPMS gave you an earlier warning, you can get that by setting all your tire pressures higher than you normally run, reset the TPMS, and then drop the pressures back to normal. Typically, the light will come on when the pressure has dropped around 25%. So if you run at 35 psi and want it to come on at 30 psi, reset the system with the tire's set to 40 psi.

Of course, that'll just make y'all even angrier that you don't have individual tire readouts, because it'll be even harder to tell which one is a little flat without a gauge.

herqulees and Robert Holt like this.
  10. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The TPMS system is not integrated into the CANBus so it cannot be read with the ScanGuage.

bisco and wjtracy like this.
  11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was just reading the price sticker on a new Lexus outside my local Costco and....

it has "location specific TPMS".

do not know what is displayed, but it's at least an icon on the dash for each tire. Maybe we'll get it on Prius in a few years...

wjtracy likes this.
  12. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All 4 tire pressures are shown on my wife's 2007 Nissan....

14. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this works that's freakin amazing. I need to try this tomorrow. Do you have to do anything special with the tpms button or just press it and that's it?