1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Divorce Vehicle - Need Tips

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a brand new member and realize I should post first in the newbies section, but I thought it wiser to ask my questions here, for reasons I'll explain now...

I'm going through a very rough divorce and I'm pretty destitute financially. Since I don't want to be homeless, my plan is to use what little money I have to purchase a used Prius and live in it for a year or two until I can get back on my feet.

The problem is, I know VERY little about cars in general, and even less about hybrids. Just being honest. Therefore, I obviously don't want to use what little cash I have left and end up purchasing a lemon. More than a car, my purchase will be a home on wheels, and I will not have the funds for any major disasters to contend with, which is the reason I'm posting my questions in this thread. I'm sure you guys have seen it all when it comes to Prius problems, and will hopefully be kind enough to offer me some knowledge.

If I'm buying a used Prius, what are some of the major potential problem areas I should be on the lookout for? For example; Battery? Generator?

Being car clueless, is there anything I can do in my limited technical ability when looking at used Prius' to help me spot any obvious (or not so obvious) telltale signs of trouble? Example; Checking dashboard readouts? Listening for odd noises?

I've been researching a bit and have already learned about the "triangle of death." Something like that happening could cripple me in my current financial situation. Can you please tell me the MOST drastic/expensive things that I should be prepared for, in the event they should happen?

I apologize for the weirdness factor of this post, but as if my personal situation isn't bad enough, having the added pressure of finding a reliable vehicle on a tight budget has me worried to pieces. So I thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

P.S. - One of my main reasons for getting a Prius is because I know you can leave the car on at night and have the ac/heat running. This is extremely important to me. Do ALL of the Prius' have this ability? And if not, what years/models do, as those are the only ones I would consider buying.

Thanks...

2. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    oops

#2 EyePrime, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to get a reliable prius in your situation, i would want a 2012 or newer with under 80,000 miles. is jersey a carb state?

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd pass on a used Prius - but that's me.

If I planned on living in a car for the next year, I'd buy a Subaru wagon. Those things never break, and you'll have a bit of room. Or move to Indiana where I'm from. We can't find people here to fill jobs and new housing going up everywhere here.

Best of luck to ya.

Hybrid Hobo, orenji and EyePrime like this.
  5. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah get a Subaru, as dubit said thy don't break, Subaru used to make planes and trains so they dont know how to make a vehicle that breaks,

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Living in a vehicle in a somewhat harsh climate (winters) for years is a serious decision. I strongly suggest looking into social programs or help from charitable organizations, family/friends, get a second job, etc. Living on the street should be your absolute last option.

GOOD LUCK!

Hybrid Hobo and orenji like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish mine ('97 Legacy wagon) didn't break. It did, though I kept it 17 years and 175k miles (short compared the household's Honda and Acura). At least I didn't yet have the common head gasket failure.

My replacement Subaru, a '14, now suffers the common oil consumption problem, though not yet as fast as the loud complaints heard elsewhere.

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Leaving a car on all night for heat or air is not ideal for the motor or the battery. Can it do it, sure, but it's hard on the car. As someone else suggested, you should look for housing assistance until you get financially able to find housing.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  9. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sounds like a rough spot.
    I would actually buy a larger vehicle for space and storage. Cold, get a sleeping bag. Warm, get a small USB fan, small solar panel, and battery.
    Then go to a Planet Fitness gym or something and get a $10/mo gym membership so you can have access to unlimited showering and restrooms.
    _____
    As a biased Prius Prime owner, I was actually thinking you could live in a prime if you were small enough. You would just have to find someplace that has a free car charging station or "unguarded" wall outlet to plug into. That way you could get 'free' HVAC. Course if you could afford to have a Prime, you'd probably not have housing issues since they're expensive.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just general car-buying advice:

Buy from a private seller if at all possible. You see the environment the car was in, you get a better picture of how it was treated and why they aren't keeping it. When you roll up and see it parked next to their new minivan, it can be a sign that you've found a good car- they just needed more room, as an example.

When it's sitting there anonymous on a dealer lot, you'll never know if it was traded in to dodge an expensive battery repair or it got flooded in Houston last year or some expensive nonsense like that. Used car dealers won't know any useful details about the car, they just want to sell it.

I'm new here as well, still in the 1st month of owning a prius but my impression is that the battery is far and away the biggest risk in a used prius. It is known to deteriorate over time, it is expected to be replaced after "a lot" of use, and it's unusual enough that not every mechanic can diagnose it properly.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are so financially constrained, why the car with little money you have now? Do you have steady job or job prospect? I would think reliable used Prius will set you back at least $10k. If you live in city and public transportation is available, I would think it would be much wiser to look for housing assistance in near your job, and save that money for your living expenses until you get more financially stable. I can't see living in a car is going to save you money if you have to buy that car, unless, your situation absolutely requires a car. Good luck.

12. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First thing, heating a car takes energy. Unless you're purchasing a prime and have access to 120 V outlet you're going to need to run the engine to create that energy to heat the car. This is going to take expensive gas to do.

Secondly, there are certainly better options then living in your car. There are plenty of social services available. A shelter is certainly a better place to live than a car. I would strongly suggest getting into a shelter now (there is likely to be a wait list, so hopefully by the time winter hits you'll be in one). While in the shelter you can apply for subsidized housing.

Living on the street makes getting a job very difficult as you have no permanent address. I don't know where you live in NJ but a quick web search will point you to any number of homeless shelters. If you're not tied to any particular location it may make it easier to find a bed.

Good luck

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Most people who are really destitute are NOT looking to buy any kind of car.......particularly not a hybrid.

Typically they look for a REALLY cheap place to live near to their job.....or near to a mass transit stop.....and don't even have a car.

I think this is a bad plan.

14. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize this, unfortunately. Which is why I'd prefer to buy a newer used model (preferably certified) from a reputable dealer, but my credit is shot, and there's little chance of this happening. I'm probably looking at a higher mileage/older model, or a combination of both, based on what little cash I have.

bisco likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings.....and I'm sorry about the divorce!

If you're going to be living in a car, I'd probably pick a minivan or a conventional car over a used Prius....and I DO KNOW about cars enough to maintain a G2 or G3 without having to pay a mechanic for maintenance items or minor repairs.
    The thing is.....there are a number of things that are not the traction (big) battery that will leave a G2 or a G3 inoperable and cost four figures to fix. This is true for all $10,000 cars, but not all 10,000 cars have inverters, stator (MG) windings, regenerative brakes, etc....

While you're still sleeping indoors, read through some of the articles in this forum concerning used Priuses in the $5,000-$10,000 range.
    Almost always.......it makes much more sense to get a used Corolla or other small car, and in your case a used minivan or crossover might be more reliable and more comfortable to live in.
    They're cheaper.
    They're just as if not more reliable than a $10,000 Prius.
    They have a MUCH lower resale value because people do not think they're 'cool.'

The only reason that I can think of to run a Prius overnight would be environmental issues.....and if you're that concerned about environmental issues then you have no business trying to live in a car until and unless you have fully explored other options FIRST.

If you insist on going down this path, provide some more details about your price range and specific vehicles that you're interested in possibly purchasing. Also.....please indicate whether or not you're tethered to Joisey.

One of your greatest advantages in embracing the hobo life will be MOBILITY, but if you're immobile due to your personal situation then this will alter my first piece of advice which would be to MOVE.
    No knock on the Garden State, I can just think of regions in the US where there are more job opportunities, and just yesterday I heard that for the first time in almost 2 decades there are more job openings in the US that there are qualified applicants.

You may also consider the second biggest advantage to the hobo life:
    Time.

Consider getting a small student loan and becoming a starving college student.
    Normally I would NEVER advise this, but it might be the spark plug for living, working and taking classes on campus, where something like a bicycle can serve you as a transport device or as excellently pointed out above......public transportation.
    A very small student loan, and a LOT OF HARD WORK would make that small initial investment pay off handsomely.

The thing is?
    There are ALWAYS OPTIONS!!!!
    Do not be governed by the word "CAN'T!!!"

Best of luck!

#15 ETC(SS), Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Andyprius1 and Hybrid Hobo like this.
  16. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe me, I too would love to have a vehicle with more space, however, that isn't highest on the list of priorities. A place to rest my head each night and get a good night's sleep is the #1 goal. While I'll obviously be giving up a lot of comforts by living in a car, the one "luxury" I'm NOT willing to sacrifice is staying warm/cool in extreme weather, which is what we have here in the NE. Hot, humid summers & icy, cold winters. So...

I need a vehicle that offers the option to run the climate control throughout the day/night, which is precisely why I'm set on a Prius.

Are there any hybrid Subarus that offer a similar climate control system like the Prius'?

Thanks for your input ;)

17. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate your concern, but I don't want you to think I'm making a fast, rash decision. The reality is, I'm a minimalist at heart, and I hate owning a lot of material things. I've downsized a lot over the past few years, and it's always been my dream to travel the country in an RV. That's the life that I'm after. So...

Me living out of my vehicle is an extension of that. Sure, I wish I had a bigger motorhome to get around in, but not only do I not have the cash for one, they are also a LOT of work to maintain, and require a decent, steady flow of cash every month to keep humming along. I don't want to work just to maintain an RV. If I wanted to do that I could easily move into an apartment and be sucked back into the rat race game again.

Living out of a vehicle is dirt cheap (especially Prius' because of the gas mileage), and affords one the ability to travel almost anywhere and live below their means, while still providing a safe, dry place to sleep at night.

As for the social programs, while I have nothing against them, I've worked hard all of my adult life and have never gotten a handout of any kind, which I kind of pride myself on. I'm an educated, able bodied person who can easily work when I want, and I feel taking a handout is for those who have struggles much greater than mine.

For me, living out of a vehicle is an adventure. One which I've been mulling over for the past few years. The divorce is simply the catalyst that's making it come to fruition. I'd simply like some time to clear my head, travel and live cheaply. And thats why I'm going this route.

Again, I greatly appreciate your concern, and thanks for chiming in.

Andyprius1 and fotomoto like this.
  18. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I too heard it can be hard on the car, though how much is debatable, and the million dollar question. Guess I'll find out soon, lol.

19. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Sara! Please see my reply to FOTOMOTO, above, as it will explain a few things.

There is actually a VERY large community of people who live out of vehicles year-round, and the Prius is one of the most popular choices.

Rough spot? Depends on how you look at things. To me, a rough spot would be being blind, having no legs, being told I have a serious incurable disease, or maybe some type of tragedy befelling my friends or loved ones. While going through a divorce sucks, and I don't recommend it to anyone, living out of a car (by choice) isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. But that's just my opinion, and everyone has their own :)

Thanks for the info!

bisco likes this.
  20. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I agree with everything you said. While there are certainly some advantages to going through a dealer, there are also many to going private. Aside from the excellent points you mentioned, one also saves money. If a private party is selling a car for $8,000, that same car on a dealers lot would be $10,500 or $11,000. Why lose money to pay someone's commission?

Appreciate your tips!