1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Divorce Vehicle - Need Tips

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Bobz. I'm in Lyndhurst, which is the northeastern part of the state, due directly west across the Hudson River from NYC. Where are you originally from?

Believe it or not, I haven't looked at any classifieds in print form yet. Most papers still have them, but nowhere near the quantity that they did years ago. The internet killed that business off pretty good. There are usually a few listings in each edition however, so I will probably grab some of the larger papers and see if I can find a golden nugget or two.

There are a TON of dealers around here...especially the used car guys. But as you know, when you deal with a guy named Vinnie or Tony who's wearing a pinky ring and a sweatsuit, you have to suspect the vehicles you're looking at are potential time bombs.

Thanks! Are those your videos?

#181 Hybrid Hobo, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
    Andyprius1 likes this.
  2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I still say your making a mistake buying a used Prius... But dude I wish you the best of luck.

But fyi, Here's another unhappy used Prius buyer within the week posting here.

I wish had not bought the Prius | PriusChat

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  3. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be right. I obviously hope you aren't, but I could very well end up with a lemon. The reality is, this is true for ANY used car...it's a gamble. Unless I win the lottery however, or some forgotten, distant relative of mine passes away and leaves me a bundle of cash, it's my only option at this point, based on my needs.

I too have seen many complaints online from people who've bought used Prius', among every other type of vehicle. And I'm sure there are just as many who get lucky and find nice, decently reliable ones, also. Point being, again, it's a roll of the dice.

I appreciate you trying to set me straight, and I value your opinions, because I don't know a tenth of what you do about the Prius'. I'm just hoping to pick something up that will last me 2 or 3 years without needing any major work.

#183 Hybrid Hobo, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Johnny Cakes and Andyprius1 like this.
  4. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I grew up in and around the Livingston/South Orange area.

One thing someone suggested to me would be to check with the local auto body shops. Sometimes, you can get a decent deal.

Another thing someone else suggested (and I agree with) was to look into a Toyota Highlander Hybrid as well as a Prius. I'm seeing some 2006 models in your price range. This would give you a bit more room, admittedly at the cost of 10mpg or so. Having the ability to look at 2 different models might give you a bit more flexibility in your search.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah but a converted school bus is really cool. A coworker's son has one, did the work himself. Appraisal sits it up there with new Lamborghini territory. :)

So... Buy a Prius yet?