1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Divorce Vehicle - Need Tips

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please read my reply to FOTOMOTO for some clarification.

2. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Steve, thanks for your input. Please see my reply to FOTOMOTO for some clarification.

Simply put, I don't believe a sound, able-bodied person should accept a handout, unless it is absolutely needed and no other options are available.

My conundrum right now is strictly a financial one, nothing more. Help isn't needed or wanted, outside of the technical advice I'm asking for here.

3. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this your opinion, or some new rule/law I haven't heard of yet? Last I checked, this was a free country, and people can spend THEIR money however they see fit.

bisco likes this.
  4. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, thank you so much for your well thought out, detailed reply!

I agree with you on both points, 100%. First, NJ certainly does suck for living the mobile lifestyle. While I definitely plan on traveling, I cannot do so for more than a couple of weeks at a time, as my son is here, and I don't want to go long stretches without seeing him. So, definitely tethered.

As to your point about choosing another vehicle, believe me, I want the best bang for my buck, which will give me the least headaches and last the longest. However...

One thing I cannot compromise on is staying warm in the cold or cool in extreme heat. I can easily forego the comforts of a traditional bed, on demand showers, potty facilities and a host of other things, but climate control is my only 'must'. And this is why I'm specifically looking at the Prius', as they have the ability to run the heat/ac for long stretches without killing the battery or burning much gas. So, unless there are other (cheaper) hybrids which I've overlooked, at this juncture, the Prius seems like my best option.

5. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not a knock on the many wonderful opinions I've gotten here thus far, but more a statement of surprise...

I cannot fathom why so many on a Prius chat board would advise AGAINST getting a used Prius. And again, this is NOT a knock. But it's just hard to believe that so many obvious Prius fans/owners would advise against getting a used model. And here's why I say this...

I've researched quite a bit, and everything I've seen/heard/read has said that used Prius' are great buys. First, due to their tremendous gas savings. Second, because like most foreign cars, if properly maintained, they can easily go to 250,000 or 300,000 miles. So, all of the advice to buy non-Prius is starting to make me question my research.

By far, I understand that one of the worst things that can happen is the battery going dead. However, in the event that happened, I've heard that batteries can be reconditioned, or used batteries can be bought, both for around the $1,000 mark. If this is one of the worst things that can happen, and it's easily fixed by spending $1,000, is there something I'm missing?

I understand that Prius' aren't 'magic' vehicles, and ANY older, used car is likely to experience some issues, Prius' included. But my research led me to believe that overall, they are good buys.

Obviously, you guys are the experts on these cars, not me. And I'm only asking this out of curiosity more than anything else.

6. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To follow up on my point above, please watch the video, below. The guy on camera is a bit nutty, but offers very good information.

The general consensus here seems to be the polar opposite of what the fella in the video says, in addition to all of my other research.

Btw, is it common for generators in Prius' to fail, and if so, what is the cost to repair them?

#26 Hybrid Hobo, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would recommend a Gen 3 Prius v (the "wagon") simply because it has the most room. High mileage units can have head gasket issues or, more likely, be oil burners so you'd need to stay on top of that. I wouldn't recommend anything over 10 years old simply for battery replacement concerns as that would be a high dollar repair.

You also want to check into 12v-120v inverters (don't go cheap here) so you run some small items, charge devices, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The only other thing I can think to contribute:

Think carefully about how and where you register this car. You want to make certain you receive that mail. You don't want to see this thing impounded because of an overdue toll or parking violation. I'm not even sure what the best solution is- just something I'd be thinking about.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The biggest exposure of an older Prius is the battery. Most last about 10 years, regardless of mileage. $1000 will not get you a replacement battery that you can depend upon. If you can service the battery yourself and don't mind having the car disabled for weeks at a time, then replacing battery modules for $30 each can be done. But if you can't take the downtime, then new cells are the only way to keep it running. Best deal is $1600 for new cells, plus maybe $500 to have someone else install them. Your local friendly dealer will be happy to install a new battery for $2500 to $4500. General guidance is to budget $3000 for a new battery for any Prius over 10 years old. I have a friend who is still driving his 2002 Prius with the original battery, but that is rare. The big battery is still working, but he had to replace the 12V battery for over $300 (odd size that was only available at a dealer).

Another thing to watch out for with used Prius is the keyfob. Lose your last one and you're looking at $700 to get back on the road. If you only get one keyfob with a used Prius, be sure to get another one right away.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  10. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point, thanks for the tip.

11. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Have you thought of a van? Gutted out vans are cheap. My friend lived in a gutted out van for 2 years (willingly) in college. But you'll have to put away 1k-2k for solar/battery setup and your cold/hot will be good. You prob can't make mods the first year or so but just having an air mattress in the back should be good till you save up. AND it's closed out so you won't have people peaking at you while you sleep etc. And you can put a porta potty in there so THAT is a real convenience. Although you may not need solar setup if you use the buddy heater (propane) but you will def need a fan in the summer. He used regular fans the first year but put in a fantastic fan the second year.

If you're still going for a Prius I'd say 3rd gen Prius all the way. I'm bias but I've had zero issues in the 5 years I've had it other than me ripping the TPMS out on my own :p

#31 kikik, Jun 6, 2018
    Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  12. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Rob. Yes, the battery seems to be one of the most common failure points in the older Prius'. And unlike a traditional car, you can't just walk into Wally World and buy one for $100.

That's why I'd prefer to buy a more recent model, so it reduces the chances of the battery dying. But since my credit is bad and funds are tight, I'm pretty much stuck looking for a private cash deal on something like a 2006 to 2010, most definitely with higher mileage. Looks like I'll have to roll the dice and hope for the best. As long as I have future access for emergency car issues, I'm willing to take the gamble.

I might hire a mechanic to take a look at any potential cars I'm interested in, so he can see what's what. At least this way I'll have an expert who can tell me whether the battery, generator and other major components are good before plunking down my cash.

Aside from the batteries, Rob, what are some of the other issues that are most common on older Prius'?

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Priuses are great cars....and we all love and respect them to greater or lesser degrees......but we would be bad people to recommend something for you that might leave you in a worse bind than you are already in.

So.....if you're committed to living the hobo life a la Prius, we're going to have to talk about what flavor and how much you want to kick over for one. I took the liberty of searching the cars for sale section of this forum, and unless you're wanting to fly out to Caly and drive one back.....you're out of luck, but I would recommend checking back there.
    Also I concur with getting a used unit from a private seller who is wanting to get top dollar instead of trading in.
    You might pay a little more than one of those "buy here - pay here" places, but you're going to want a car that's dependable and with a verifiable pedigree.

Start looking and let us know what you come up with.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  14. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually did consider a van. But as I mentioned in one of my replies above, climate control is a HUGE factor for me. I'm one of those people who become very grumpy in hot/humid weather, and an air conditioner is a necessity.

If it wasn't for the climate where I live, I could pretty much live in ANY vehicle. The only reasons I'm dead set on a Prius, is due the benefit of being able to run the ac/heat for prolonged periods without consequences, and the amazing gas mileage.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You'll see the former cancel out the latter. I haven't had one of these long enough to suggest actual consumption figures, but you're planning on burning gas to stand still. Your MPG is going to be awful compared to other hybrids. Maybe even awful compared to other cars, I don't know with enough precision.

I was reading up on folks modifying their Priuses to supply emergency power to their homes- a topic of interest to me. I read a few accounts of people burning through a tank in 2-3 days. Granted, the load they presented was likely larger than onboard climate control, but it's something to think about.

On a related note, I would consider using fuel fill-ups as an indicator for oil changes. You'll be using the engine a lot without putting many miles on the car. Ignore the odometer and get the oil changed about every 15 fill-ups instead.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  16. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, and again, I wasn't knocking. Am just surprised by the few who have said DON'T get one. But as you said, I definitely do understand that those opinions are out of caution & kindness, which I appreciate.

I can only spend about $4,000, so I'm probably looking at a 2006 to 2010 with high miles (100,000+). The mileage doesn't concern me, it's the battery failure potential. But as I mentioned above, if I can hire a mechanic to look over a vehicle and he can assure me that the battery is dandy, that would eliminate about 80% of my worries. Almost everything else aside from a battery failure might be a $500 fix, which isn't too bad at all.

17. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've read - and it may not be 100% accurate - running the climate control system all night only burns about a half gallon of gas or so, since the car needs to start itself every 30 minutes or so. While not optimal, IMO, this is a small amount to pay for comfort.

During the day I might be working, out exploring, etc., so the climate control wouldn't be used as much as at night. So I don't want to give the impression that it will be running 24/7, because that's not the case.

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the Prius is an excellent car for what you want to do. Most of the hesitation from others stems from wanting to buy a cheap vehicle on one of the models that are notoriously NOT cheap. They keep their value really well, and the cheap ones usually have an issue or two or ten. If this is your life on the line such as in a -30F winter, you want and need reliability not a vehicle with issues. That is true of any vehicle you purchase. The Prius is also very smart. It self diagnosis and prevents further damage quite a bit. In your case this may mean a failure occurs which causes the red triangle of death to illuminate and the car will not READY itself because there's a problem. In the -30F winter night, the last thing you want is the car protecting itself while you freeze to death. An "oldschool" car will generally run until the engine physically siezes, long after is billowing smoke and making terrible death noises. The Prius will protect itself at your detriment.

You being in an area where shelters exist and social networks exist, this may not be an issue. If the worst happens at the worst time, you could sleep in a McDonalds for the night.

Your question is what could go wrong in a Prius that's expensive. I would modify the question to what could go wrong on a Prius that couldn't go wrong on a "normal" car since that's the difference. You've already decided to live in a vehicle. A corolla or a Subaru wagon both have tons of ECUs just like the Prius that if any of them go wrong you're looking at $1000+. That's just the price of modern electronics.

A Prius has the 2 MG's which rarely if ever go bad in the Gen-2. That's a transaxle replacement, $1000-$2000. The inverter could die, also extremely rare on the Gen-2, more common but still very rare on the Gen-3. Dealer part is over $4k plus installation. Junkyard prices are a couple hundred plus installation. The elephant in the room is the hybrid traction battery. In your case, the car will get 8 hours a day every day of READY time to keep the battery happy. This is basically best case scenario. An old battery is more likely to fail the more it sits in rest. A new battery ranges between $1.6k to $3k depending on what battery and who's doing the work.

Things that the Prius doesn't have that would commonly fail in a high use vehicle would be a standard transmission, a starter motor, alternator, and even things like normal friction brakes. The Prius regen brakes will usually last 200k+ miles, the rotors will rust before the pads need replacing. The "transmission" in a Prius is a static geared planetary split device. No clutches or anything else, it just exists and is. Failure rate is basically nothing, that's why used prices are so low. It also uses MG1 to start the engine from the high voltage battery so no starter motor and no 12v battery not cranking. The Prius will crank in any temperatures as long as the aux battery is good.

A Gen-2 Prius can fit a twin sized mattress in the back with the seats folded down. So you can get an actual nights sleep if you keep with your materialistic minimalism. With the entire back filled with a mattress, you're only left behind the front seats in the footwell for storage and the passenger seat/footwell. A roof-mounted carrier might be a good idea for more storage since so much will be taken up by you and getting a good nights sleep.

I would recommend wiring a new accessory outlet in the back directly off the 12v battery instead of using the very thin wiring that goes to the cigarette lighter that is factory installed. Good to power a radar detector, not an inverter with laptop charging and phones and all that indefinitely.

The Prius does work excellently as a mobile power source and mobile climate control unit even while stationary. Yes it will put a strain on everything more than designed for, but that is true of every vehicle that isn't an RV style camper. Lots of vehicles will overheat if you have it sitting idle with the engine on for 8 hours or kill the 12v battery if you leave it idling for 8 hours because they need the airflow to cool off or the higher rpm's of driving to charge things.

With a total of $4k budget, you're going to be looking at some really dodgy vehicles. The good ones still command $6k with average miles, at least around here. In NJ I think that's a CARB state so you're looking at even higher prices as otherwise would-be-failed vehicles get warranty battery replacements longer and boost the value even higher.

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    running the cc all night is not harmful to the car, and you're right, prius is one of the few that makes a great camper, as well as mobile home and we've seen a number of people do it.

financially, it sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, so find the best one you can and go for it.
    yes, on the whole, prius are extremely reliable, but we see the dark underbelly here all the time, and it makes some of us cautious in recommending to people with limited budgets.

no mechanic or dealer can tell you the car, including the hybrid battery won't breakdown tomorrow. they can only look for existing problems.
    a good idea would be to find a local hybrid shop that understands prius if you can. for a once-over pre purchase, and any repairs after.

no, a rebuilt is not a suitable option and are iffy at best. a better plan is a new battery if you need one, and hopefully someone who can install it for under $2,500. all in.
    rebuilt are only as good as the company warrantying them, and even that has its issues.

all the best!(y)

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  20. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From what I'm reading, your already stuck on buying a used Prius. If what you plan on buying is what you say above, then save money for a new high voltage battery replacement. No mechanic will be able to tell if it's in good shape unless they remove the battery, and disassemble it and test each cell one by one. So it's your gamble. But at a minimum take it to what Bisco above says - a hybrid shop, not just a mechanic.

I also read you were surprised as to why so many of us recommended against buying a used Prius. Again, what Bisco says above. It's hard to recommend them when people have limited budgets. So beware....

meh, from what I see around here I'd say it happens about as often or slightly less than say a transmission on any other car. But if it does happen, buy a new "used Prius".

Have you considered a Honda? If their High Voltage battery craps out, at least you can still operate the car. Bust out the support in the rear seats and make them flip down, instant leg room to sleep.

#40 dubit, Jun 6, 2018
    Hybrid Hobo likes this.