1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY simple HV charger for ICE repairs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priam, May 31, 2020.

1. Priam

Priam New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi again all
    need advice on a method to charge the hv pack without the ICE (needs repairs, bought as a fixer upper)

I posted another thread tonight about the possibility of using a working prius to charge the hv pack in a non working prius (no ICE) without removing either pack

but a simple 230VDC low current trickle charger would do nicely as well, at the end of the day I just need to be able to occasionally turn the engine over as needed for repair purposes without fear of running the hv pack too low.

anyone have some DIY advice or maybe a recommendation for something I could buy for this purpose?

we have some electrically handy people in the family, so constructing our own from spare parts is a possibility!

looking for advice

thanks so much
    here is a link to my other thread
    DIY Prius HV jumper cables | PriusChat

#1 Priam, May 31, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2020
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Priam

Priam New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the reply SFO!

I am looking at a few of these EC power supplies, looks like it may be the ticket!

as for how to hook it up, I read about a few people tapping in at a relay panel. I guess my follow up question concerns this.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again!

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please report back with which PS you ended up using, especially if you find something that is compatible or costs the same/less.
    Check out the harness installation instructions over at hybridautomotive.com, they include pictures that make it quite easy.

If extended charging is planned, be sure to use a fan to blow cool air over the exposed HV battery pack, or maybe a 6v jumper on the HV fan.