1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Transaxle Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eric1234, Jul 12, 2016.

1. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Has anyone done their own Transaxle Fluid Change? Do you have pics of the drain & fill plug locations & ATF fill quantity?

OR - is there anyone with TIS access that has downloaded the Transaxle Drain/Fill procedure that would be so inclined to post it up here?

My prius just turned 10k miles, and I'm planning to change out the transaxle fluid sometime in the next 5k - but I'd like to be a bit more confident about the process before I proceed...

Thanks,
    Eric

2. h-dogg

h-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm interested in this to for my wife's 2012 Prius v3. It has a little over 61k miles on it and was wondering when I'm suppose to change this.

I think it is Toyota ATF WS and four quarts. Do you need a special tool for the two bolts?

3. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a whole bunch of info on this in the GENIII forum. (I accidentally posted here while intending to post in the GENIV).

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, WS. No, no special tool is needed, just an ordinary hex key or equivalent.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, most people don't have a 10mm hex socket wrench in their toolbox. I know that I had to buy a set. Found a cheap Stanley set at Walmart.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Separate drain and full plugs are easier to access with the under cladding removed, which adds maybe 1/2 hour. Remember to get 2 new crush washers for reinstalling the drain and fill plugs. I found many of the plastic clip fasteners for the under cladding were missing, so had to return to dealer to buy more of those and fashion a couple new ones to make it sturdier when I re-installed it after the change. But I'm known to have a problem with OCD, so consider the source. Good luck!

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Robert Holt likes this.
  8. mitchmarket

mitchmarket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    DId mine recently. Super easy. Just look up a YouTube vid to be sure you are following the steps...:)