1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Undercoating

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marine Ray, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just released video by this gentleman about his DIY undercoating. Bonus for me - great opportunity to see what's underneath all those panels.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Welded structural joints that rust when you look at them, bolts that start rusting from the get go, here we go again. :(

Get under there early, see where the rust is starting, get it protected. Boiled linseed oil and a few brushes is working for me. :)

#2 Mendel Leisk, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very informative video. But now seeing the setup needed to hoist the car and what has to be done to get all the panels off, I don't think this is a typical DIY job for an ordinally car owner. And now I can see why the professional undercoating place did not even want to touch the car.

The video mentioned the stuff he used (from Canada) is a petroleum-based. It does look a lot like lanolin-based (non-petroleum) Fluid-Film. I wonder if he has to reapply this stuff every year like Fluid Film??? If so, it is more of the reason to believe that this is not a very cheap or easy DIY project.

#3 Salamander_King, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He's got the car similar to an oil change pit, wheels off. Having the wheels off you could do a better job I think.

And yeah, I prefer a more surgical approach, with brushes. Maybe spray in corner that are unreachable.

It's almost good to let the rust get started, so you see the trouble spots. Then coat them well, seal out the oxygen.

Good underside pics btw: the proscribed front jacking point is soooo far back, I wonder if that front beam could take the weight?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anybody ever have their prius rust out?

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's important to rustproof the bolts, nuts and seams, as well as the brake line fittings and bleed valves. The cavities containing the "captive nuts" are also very important, as described in many post on how control arm bolts are "frozen" in place and nearly impossible to remove.

While "natural" or biological rustproofing works, I prefer petroleum based rustproofing, since it has the added benefit of repelling vermin like rats, mice, squirrels and chipmunks.

Rubberized undercoating is not rustproofing, as it traps moisture. It should be used only when applied as a mechanical barrier over rustproofing.