1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you need underbody rust protection on new Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Salamander_King, Nov 7, 2017.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than the suspension parts right at the wheels, what's not covered by plastic underpanels and wheelwell liners?

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plastic underpanels can actually accelerate damage if they are not watertight and sealed to the body. They can trap moisture and road salt against the metal.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for chiming in for my question. It looks like for most of things about taking care of cars, there seems to be two schools. One side think it's waste of money to do underbody protection, and other think it is essential. And of course there are some in the middle too. I have missed my opportunity to get the protection done before the first snow, so for now my PRIME has not been treated. I guess, I will see what the underside looks like comes spring.;)

Montgomery and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what happened to our Toyota minivan after on NE roads 12 years:(
    IMG_20180113_102446.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My '06 was a rusty tub, yes, they rust, this 17 prime got the fluid film treatment, go to a brake thread and read about seized caliper pins, and yes, oiling the car underbody and door interiors yearly will do the job.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you do the fluid film yourself? Did you remove all of the plastic under covers before applying the fluid film?

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The dealer threw it in, a factory tech applied it.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice! My dealer would charge me $1000. Not Fluid Film but something that last 10 years.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They make a great product sold At Home Depot called CSP.
    Corrosion Stop Preventer. It’s spray grease and it’s fairly heavy grease and stays where you spray and has no smell. Do not use WD40 again it really stinks and is a poor lubricant.
    Jus buy a few cans and spray it on the undercarriage especially the suspension. Works really good and no squeaks on the car. Buy some Black magic protectant and apply it to all the rubber boots under the car.
    Really helps prevent the boot from failure. Lose the boot the cv joint will fail.
    The CSP is @ take on the bunker oil they used to spray on the under sides of cars in New England.
    I grew up in Vermont and remember that.

Door hinges and hood latch and hatch latch and door lock keyhole and make sure you apply some grease next time the tires come off on the wheel back where it mounts to the hub. Very common issue the wheel gets stuck on the hub.

10. ZenuloPri

ZenuloPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Reading that made me cringe a little bit...The frame of a car is it's most important part. A unibody car becomes junk once the frame becomes rusty and starts deteriorating. I live in upstate NY and its not uncommon for a 15+/- year old car to be hauled away as scrap because of a bad frame. Trucks and older SUVs with solid steel frames last a little longer but they will eventually see the same fate and rust away. Cars have annual safety inspections here for a reason. You want the weakest part of you car to be the crumple zones not the frame underneath the passenger compartment. You also don't want the floor of your car rusting away at your feet. The floor is not thick and rust is definitively a problem. Back when cars and trucks where made out of good heavy steel floorboards usually rusted out first.

I do agree that most but not all after market undercoating are scams. The ones outside of the rust belt are more likely to be scams. The only way to be completely sure is to do it yourself but there are reputable places that will actually undercoat your car. Just because an area is not exposed does not mean you can't prevent rust or treat the area! Undercoating and rust treatments actually do work when they are done and maintained right.
    I've seen nice cars that are sometimes less than 10 years old sell for scrap prices because the frame is rusted out and it wont pass inspection. Most have rust free bodies and have no mechanical problems. Not enough people worry about or have even seen the bottom of their cars. My own car is starting to rust in the rocker panels and a few spots starting underneath where the undercoating was scraped away in a bottom out. My car is a 2005 and if it wasn't undercoated and taken care of it would already be scrap. I plan to redo the undercoating and take care of the rust in the rocker panels asap myself before it spreads. Rust is cancer!

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is what my PRIME underbody looks like after two NE winters. This was my first opportunity to see the hoisted car from under. Yeah, it is covered almost entirely with plastic. Only part exposed are the exhaust system and some frame part and suspension. I just wonder what it looks like inside of that cover.

IMG_20190330_081710.jpg

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    During the summer months, put that back end up on safety stands, brush everything off, get some boiled linseed oil and some sponge brushes (craft stores may have good deals on brushes), and go at it. You don't need to take all the plastic off, but if there's something significant going to rust-hell behind plastic, get that bit off. Also, any small diameter steel bolts on the underside, back them out and oil soak them. It helps to take the rear wheels off.

Then another day, do the front.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Yeah, that's my plan for my summer vacation. I think I will use Fluid Film aerosol spray can instead of craft store brushes though. I am not much of painter myself. lol It would probably be a bit more expensive than linseed oil but should be easier to apply.

The front end looks like this. There is really nothing exposed without removing the plastic.

IMG_20190330_081640_c-vert.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I see numerous suspension pivot points in this picture of the rear end. If greased would not wear and would not rust. Just spray some grease on it. Hose the front end down. No more rust or sqeeks or rattles. And no wear.

CSP= CORROSION STOP PROTECTANT . Its almost like it was made for this.

From the can's description=

Corrosion stop is for use on industrial, automotive, and marine parts and equipment. It protects all metal surfaces and leaves a protective film on applied surfaces, resists water,displaces moisture, and prevents further corrosion.

The new cans I just bought at Home Depot now just say CS they dropped the Protectant part. Its aPB Blaster product but does not smell.

Blaster 11 oz. Heavy-Duty Corrosion Stop Protectant (Case of 12)-16-CSP - The Home Depot

Everything that moves in my house uses this also. Great for door hinges and locks. No lubrication it wears out.

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. From the pic on the Home Depot, it looks to be in an aerosol dispenser, is it? I have used multi-purpose BPBlaster for occasional home repair in the past. I will check some reviews and compare it with the Fluid Film.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't dismiss boiled linseed oil without a try. Cheap, no aerosol can in the recycle stream. I applied to everything about a year back, holding up very well.

Salamander_King likes this.
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just looked it up. I was thinking I had to "boil" raw linseed oil myself. But there are already boiled one on the market.
    87232 Boiled Linseed Oil In Metal Can - Walmart.com
    To be even Greener, I will toss some flax seeds on my backyard to harvest linseed oil myself.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah you can pick it up at any hardware store. Also good for outdoor wood furniture.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/recochem-boiled-linseed-oil-946-ml/1000130983

A few years back I was taken aback by the rusty condition of the rear suspension, framing members (especially welded junctions), bolts and what have you. I tried an advertised rust preventative product first, with iffy results. The boiled linseeed oil I applied a year back, has held up good. @tvpierce suggested it.

Montgomery and Salamander_King like this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think your better off with some lubrication on all the suspension points. With spray can its fast easy and cheap and stays where you put it.
    How long did it take to apply boiled linseed oil? Did the car stink afterwards?

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For any kind of rust, you guys might want to try Ospho. I've been using it for years.

Mendel Leisk likes this.