1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you need underbody rust protection on new Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Salamander_King, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Years ago, bolts were cadmium and yellow hexa-chrome plated with greater corrosion resistance. Due to current RoHS standards, only zinc is now used. In a salt heavy environment, the readily rust..

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I heard something like that, there were concerns about the coatings being toxic? Maybe the suspension framing pieces too? Welds seem extra vulnerable. I really don't think Toyota was galvanizing much. Looks like a cosmetic, single coat of black paint, no primer, on our solid rear axle and so forth.

Looked it up:

RoHS = Restriction of Hazardous Substances.

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you lube the threads you should reduce torque, maybe 0.85. The main connector bolts look to be all 32 ft/lb, so reduce to 27.

IMG_0325.JPG
    upload_2019-4-8_13-51-6.png
    upload_2019-4-8_13-51-57.png

#63 Mendel Leisk, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe no rust, but the water ban is in effect. And I have to fight a wild fire without water. NOOOOOOOOO!
    BTW, TODAY, it's snowing here like crazy. The salt truck is out once more on the road, and I already changed my winter tires out. NOOOOOOOOO!

#64 Salamander_King, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Montgomery and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here, tomorrow might be a good day for a mow

6. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Man I admire your toughness!!
    Right now, it's 96° Fahrenheit here!!
    Yeah, and the snow has melted, har, har!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Montgomery and Salamander_King like this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am gonna hit the beach now! WOO WOO!
    IMG_20190408_155040.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, right now, it's 78F in NJ.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The photo comparison is impressive. Are they before-and-after of the same bolt from the same car? How many years apart for those two photos? Did you actually remove rust from the bolt before applying boiled linseed oil, or rust just disappeared after application?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the same bolt. After pic is today, before pic is 3~4 years back. The area was brushed a little, then the linseed oil applied. I'm a little fuzzy on how long ago, but close to a year.

11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    California native. Lived in the OC since 72'. Have relatives all over the U.S. They think I am crazy to stay here in this expensive state. Its been my home all my life. Yeah its expensive. But I think the word "expensive" really means what does one want to spend the least amount of money on. Property tax or Tornado Insurance? Fruits and Vegetables or 9 months of a high A/C bill? Flood Insurance or Fire Insurance? In the long run, no matter where we all live, it seems to even out. The price of a home in Texas is much, much lower than in California, but what is the actual difference in price in the upkeep of both homes over 25 years? Who has the more severe weather conditions that drive up utility costs and repairs to the house? How did I ramble on to this subject? Sorry about that! Basically, we all love where we live, and I can live with that!

13. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO
    FYI
    In response to OP "do you undercoat"
    For my personal experience "it depends"
    So like if you live in the following USA states LO CALS....OR, WA, MT, MI, NY, NH, MA, ME, AK, and/or a coastal and/or island area and they salt the highways annually plus you have USA dollars for undercoat and snow tires plus you want to keep vehicle for extended years then yes go ahead.

However, myself never paid USA dollars for said undercoat living in TX, at best TXDOT only sands/salts highways and overpass maybe twice or three times in a annual basis . I forgo and avoid driving on rainy and iced up highway days that only further depreciate said vehicle lifespan. Much of the underbody is protected by ABS plastic....that leaves engine exhaust system, rims, wheel wells, lower portion of car door exterior skin.

Undercoating has limited to no value on engine exhaust system

14. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear THEE
    FYI property tax going up this year in Texas

15. davran

davran Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    I contacted Toyota Canada, and they said that they don't endorse any kind of undercoating on their hybrids, and the rust proofing may void the warranty:

Dear Mr. Randall:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We are glad to hear you are enjoying your new 2019 Prius.

Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) does not offer or endorse the application of aftermarket rustproofing. Due to the fact that some customers would like the added benefit of additional rustproofing to ensure the durability and longevity of the product, dealers will make an aftermarket rustproofing available to their customers. However, should a difficulty arise due to the application of the non Toyota product, any difficulties related to the condition would not be covered by Toyota.

In speaking with our technical department about the application of aftermarket rustproofing on a Prius, we were advised that it is not recommended by TCI the same as any Toyota product. With the Prius, application of aftermarket rustproofing, such as an undercoating product, could affect the high voltage leads. As such, the application of the product could camouflage the orange high voltage leads resulting in emergency, dealership or independent facilities personnel being electrocuted if they unknowingly touch the high voltage lead.

It remains your decision to add or not add this type of product, however, with the Prius a company adding the product would have to be extra careful so as not to hide the high voltage leads.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Mark Hendriks
    Customer Assistance Centre
    Toyota Canada Inc.

mountaineer and Salamander_King like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @tvpierce turned me on to the boiled linseed oil.

srivenkat likes this.
  17. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Most of the underbody panels are made of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), not ABS which is Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's a new twist. I have never heard of underbody coating voiding warranty, but I know some of those product does harden like a plastic coating, thus not far fetched that servicing becomes difficult. But still, this is all new to me.

Now, I have not removed those plastic cover on the underbody, so I do not know what is hidden by it. But are there any high voltage orange leads exposed on the underside of the car if you remove those plastics?

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  19. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would never use black rubberized "undercoating" of yesteryear.

Amber colored rustproofing is a much superior product and should be the material of choice. These are thinner and will not cover the orange colored HDPE plastic wire loom.

Seams, fasteners and brake lines are the most vulnerable areas.

HDPE plastic panels only trap water, salts and debris. To be done right, they must ne removed and the places where, when fitted, they contact the painted underbody, should be sprayed with rustproofing, before the plastic panels are replaced.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  20. ken2116

ken2116 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The Maine branch of our family (where the roads are heavily salted) have a lanolin based product (it may be Fluid Film) sprayed an the undersides of their ancient Subarus w/ no significant rust in over 10 years whereas many cars there are rust buckets. A concern about cars with underside panels is when salty water does find its way past the panels (and it will) it may remain forever - one might consider removing the covers and treating once with fluid film as it should be a long time before it's worn away. Coat the suspension threads and bolts, too. Don't use firm (asphaltic) undercoatings that can crack and trap water, but the type that leave a liquid film or soft wax that can wear off should be fine.

Also, check regularly and certainally before winter for paint chipping in places where wheels throw stones and treat appropriately - as these are prime locations for rust penetration to start.