1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a USA 2017 Prius v two have a Kmh / Mph switch?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gromittoo, Jan 9, 2022.

1. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am considering downgrading the Instrument Cluster in my USA 2017 Prius v four to an Instrument Cluster from a Prius v two. The reason I want to do this is that I don't like that my 2017 four cluster has the 4.3 inch Extra Info Display, and the IC from a two looks exactly like the IC in my 2013 Prius v. The cluster with the EID does not have what I call the "Hybrid Tachometer", which I miss having. It also does not have a way to display the real time instantaneous MPG.

I recently gave my 2017 an oil change, and the procedure to turn off the "Maint Reqrd" light is different. Turning off that light on a 2015-17 Prius v with a trim level greater than two, is done through the the "4.3 inch Extra Info Display", and does not involve the Kmh / Mph switch. In fact MY 2017 four DOES NOT HAVE A "Kph / MPH" switch.

This begs the question: if I downgrade my Instrument cluster to one without the EID, will I be able to turn off the "Maint Reqrd" light every 5k miles, given that I don't have a Kmh / Mph switch. There is a rubber insert where the that switch would be, and it might even contain a switch.

I am hoping that there is a way to perform the "Maintenance Reset" using another method (Techstream would be OK).

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Another day and another person shows up that ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST have everything work precisely the way that he wants it to work. Pretty sad.
    Life is too short.

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have the 2012-2013 display on my 2012 level 2 Prius v and two additional displays of the same series. I can assure you that it has the Kmh / Mph switch.

I also have a large number of start-stop button switch panels with the Kmh / Mph switch

Just take the switch out of the 2013, plug it in to the 2017, and see what happens.

Also, I have confirmed with my friend in Florida that the plugs and sockets on the harnesses are the same for the 2012-13 and the 2017 with the enhanced display. Basically, I sent him a cutoff harness from a 2012 display, which he plugged in to the advanced display that he removed from the 2017. It fit perfectly.

It appears that the displays are backward compatible. The only way to confirm is is to switch the display from the 2013 to the 2017, plug it in, and see what happens.

If it works, buy a used display and switch off of eBay, and plug them in.

#3 Georgina Rudkus, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure wish there were a better picture than what McGeorge has, looks like it was drawn on an Etch-a-Sketch.

Ah, ok:

[​IMG]

I'm kind of itching to see a pic of what gromittoo's v has in that position.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Now that I've had more time to think about it, it would be where the Kmh/Mph function is switched. If it is switched in the ECM, it might be readily apparent that it would function readily with the post 5/16 upgrade, but that was eliminated.

As I recall, when the 2017 Prius v came out, a lot of Canadians complained that the display was not capable of being switched to Kmh on the display. I don't know if that has been resolved.

Check out this thread:

Showing MPH rather than KmH | PriusChat

It looks like it was an oversight in the design of the 2017 display that was hidden by the blank space where the Kmh/Mph switch was installed.

More likely than not, it is switched within the display. It was apparently eliminated from after 5/16 on account that the display was changed in all option levels of the Prius v.

I called my 2017 Prius v owner, in Florida, and he confirmed that the rubber plug on the panel is blank. It did not switch the corresponding display.

A very simple test would be for grommitoo to take the hazard+Kmh/Mph switch out of 2013 and install it onto the 2017. The switch doesn't even have to be removed from the panel. Since everything else is the same, all he has to do is to unclip the three connectors from the 2013 panel and connect it to the 2017. If it works, it's fine. If not, the switching from Kmh to Mph is done in the display.

If he switches to the 2013 display, then the Kmh/Mph switch would definitely work in the 2017.

#6 Georgina Rudkus, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  7. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! i got more responses than I expected. I popped the switch panel off of both cars, and they look identical from the back.

The only difference between the two panels is that the 2013 two has the button to the left of the hazard button labeled as kph/mph, and the 2017 four has the button, but it is blank, and does nothing when pressed. If I get the chance, I could swap them to prove that the only difference is an unlabeled button.