1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's Door Stuck or not unlocking

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by arthur92710, Oct 16, 2017.

1. arthur92710

arthur92710 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've had a small problem opening the drivers door from the outside randomly for the last week or two. Like everyone else, I walk up-to the car, grab the door handle, wait for the door to unlock and then pull. Sometimes when I pull the door it just cracks open a bit and gets stuck. I haven't tried to force it to open. I just lock it and try again. So far the door has unlocked and opened the second time every time this happened.

This night I got back to the car from the grocery store, opened the trunk and put three bags of groceries in the car. The car was cycling between lock-unlock a few times. I noticed because it was already dark out and I saw the yellow turn indicators blinking. "Weird" I thought to my self...

Then I walk over to the driver door and try to open it as usual but it doesn't even crack open a bit and the car does the lock-unlock cycle a few times. Huh... I pulled the key fob out, pressed the lock button, pressed the unlock button, tried again and nothing. The door wouldn't budge.

Embarrassed, I walked over to the passenger side opened the door, got in, unlocked and opened the driver side door from inside.

I'm at about 2500 miles on the odo. I'll wait till my oil change comes up to bring it to the dealer, if it doesn't get worse before then...

Anyone have this problem? What was your solution?

Seems like the car realizes that there is a problem so it does a lock-unlock cycle. Do you know if other Toyota's do a similar thing or was the "feature" programming in as a software fix to a hardware problem?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried the other fob?

3. arthur92710

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'll switch fobs in the morning and report back.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. arthur92710

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've been using the other fob since Wednesday morning, no problems. I'll switch back to the other fob this coming up Wednesday and see if the problem come back. It would be pretty strange IMO if this problem was caused by the fob.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Iv noticed some sluggishness in my fob/door handle also. I’m thinking because it’s location is deep in my fannypack and situated behind me. Still in experimental stages.