1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Early images of Supernova captured

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Feb 22, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Amateur astronomer captures rare first light from massive exploding star | Berkeley News

[​IMG]

During tests of a new camera, Víctor Buso captured images of a distant galaxy before and after the supernova’s “shock breakout” – when a supersonic pressure wave from the exploding core of the star hits and heats gas at the star’s surface to a very high temperature, causing it to emit light and rapidly brighten.

To date, no one has been able to capture the “first optical light” from a normal supernova – that is, one not associated with a gamma-ray or x-ray burst – since stars explode seemingly at random in the sky, and the light from shock breakout is fleeting. The new data provide important clues to the physical structure of the star just before its catastrophic demise and to the nature of the explosion itself.

“Professional astronomers have long been searching for such an event,” said UC Berkeley astronomer Alex Filippenko, who followed up the discovery with observations at the Lick and Keck observatories that proved critical to a detailed analysis of the explosion, called SN 2016gkg. “Observations of stars in the first moments they begin exploding provide information that cannot be directly obtained in any other way.”
    . . .

Way to go!

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk and RRxing like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like a painting of an eye, 'modern art'.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The supernova itself seems so insignificant, just a little now-you-see-it, now-you-don't blip, down in the corner. Quite a big place we're in...

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For a second there I was really worried. It would take a very close supernova to make an Environmental Discussion, and it would not be good news. This is really FHOP news.

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I disagree. The galaxy and associated supernova are part of our environment, at least in this part of the multiverse...

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is some other galaxy.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It could loosely be argued that understanding supernovas and others 'stars gone wrong' could be of use here on earth/ There are numerous stars within shootin' distance.

However, if a star is about to give earth an aggressive bath. Knowing of warning signs would help how exactly?

Last clickbait headline you'll ever read. Go hide in a deep hole now. Others?

Gotta say it always seems odd to read about 'supersonic' out there is space. It is electrons (and possibly other particles with mass) getting accelerated to near lightspeed by absurd magnetic fields. But sonic boom is not an appealing analogy.

==
    "Alex Filippenko" Have seen this fella do a lot of astronomy explaining on TV and he does it well.

==
    16 inch telescope, 80 million light years. That's some really good imaging even if a SN had not bombed the photo.

==
    Not so many people are set up for photos like this. Far fewer than, say, smart phoners who still miss Bigfoot, etc.

#8 tochatihu, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Too be fair, bigfoot is smaller and moving. (and I suspect, farther away)

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes a subject has more technical technical content versus more casual content. Supernova are something of wonder and horror that have the ability to pretty much sterilize planets within distances further than our most distant space craft: What's a safe distance between us and a supernova? | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

Scientific literature cites 50 to 100 [light rjw] years as the closest safe distance between Earth and a supernova.

We may be more likely to suffer an asteroid collision before a nearby Super nova. Still it is a thing of fear and wonder yet critical to forming and releasing the heavy elements incorporated into planets and eventually from our example, carbon based life.

Bob Wilson

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A few hundred stars are within 100 light years of earth, none known (to me) to be frisky as SN or gamma-ray bursters. GRB endanger life at longer ranges but still they do not seem to be problems over realistic time.

No, it is 'local' solar-system rocks that could do real harm. If ever we end self risk with carbon on carbon violence, those will still come zinging in, once in a while.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The article discusses the problem of white dwarf stars that are hard to detect. Granted we don't have a technology to mitigate the effects, still it remains a curiosity.

Bob Wilson

13. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    <deleted>

14. So it was a Type 2 supernova, commonly associated with these rich in spectra and heating shockwaves. That means that the parent star was a supergiant, which is one of the most luminous types, and hence very massive... what I took away from this is, knowing that astronomers are still tasked with the puzzle of solving "What is dark matter?" Well until that very massive supergiant exploded, it seemed to be little more than in the gas and dust of the spiral arm (according to the images that I saw in that article). Perhaps we are missing more OB associations than we previously had accounted for, and if that's the case, then OB associations would account for more significant variance in dark matter than previously thought.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently this is quite a discovery and the professional astronomers are able to get a lot of data out of it, there will apparently be an article in Nature soon.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I was thinking about the supernova spectral spread and wondering if there might be a shift because the speed of light might have a frequency component. So far, the consensus is constant in a vacuum. Ok, but what about interstellar space?

We know there is a local solar wind and there are dust as well as possibly hydrogen in the space between us and a distant supernova. Would these induce a frequency dependent delay in what we can observe?

Bob Wilson

18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, I'd imagine matter and space between us and an event should have some effect on empirical data observed of the event.
    It also gives pause to imagine when the event actually took place in relation to when it was seen on this planet.
    Further, as I look at the cosmos I see bodies spinning in an orderly manner in relation to other bodies that can be seen on a macroscopic scale.
    In my mind I see atomic structures in much the same light, bodies spinning in an orderly manner in relation to other bodies measured on microscopic scale.
    Again further, on the atomic scale even matter that we can see and detect in our human world as solid mass has large spaces between the bodies/particles of the atomic structure in relation to each other.
    How far in each direction does this similarity persist?

I once fed negative coordinates into a julia set generator with a resulting image appearing as a twin spiral that immediately reminded me of what I imagine a blastema would look like if I could see that.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    speed of light@17. Telescopes broadly defined can 'see' from infrared to gamma-ray. That's about 12 orders of magnitude of wavelength. You'd need accurate time-keeping with separate telescopes. Or mount both on the same rig. Then, be looking at some faraway event with a sudden change in flux. Then you'd know the answer.

I'm not aware of this being a high priority for space astronomers. But maybe?

atomic structures@18. I hope we are not referring to (the model of) electrons orbiting nucleus here. Actual probability distributions of electrons vs. nucleus are not like that.

Textbooks? I know, I know...

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To some extent, this was already measured with last year's neutron star collision event, detected first by the LIGO network. Gravitational waves, gamma rays, X-rays, UV, visible light, IR, and various radio waves were observed.

Was this our only thread?:
    Interesting semantics in Scientific American | PriusChat

bwilson4web likes this.