1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy way to turn off front passenger airbag? Gen3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pei_lin, Apr 17, 2023.

1. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Have searched in youtube, google and this forum, it looks like there is not a convenient way of turning off front passenger airbag for Gen3 prius? Any one can sheld light here?

The reason that we want to turn off airbag sometimes is because we want to seat school age kid (7,8 years old) some are our kid's friends, neighbour, etc.

By law as I understand, the driver is liable if the front airbag is not turned off and a child sits at front passenger seat

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Doesn't look like an easy way to me unless it can be done in the Toyota software I'll look when I fire it up today or tomorrow just to look. I don't know anything about the laws in Norway until a child is out of a booster seat and any safety seat they can't go in the front seat lately in the United States or they can but they'll be consequences to pay more than likely especially under the current climate but that's about all I know. You would think in most of these cars there is a way to do whatever apparently maybe not the Prius but I'm not sure of that folks who really know and have tackle this should be a long any minute

pei_lin likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The status display in front of the passenger seat (at least in the US) can have: (1) nothing illuminated, (2) "AIRBAG ON" illuminated, or (3) "AIRBAG OFF" illuminated.

That should be (1) if the car detects nothing in the seat, (2) if it thinks it detects an adult in the seat, (3) if it detects something in the seat other than an adult.

So if you put the kid in the seat and see AIRBAG OFF, the system should be doing what you want.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The models sold in the US have a sensor to do that automatically.
    Does yours NOT have that feature ?

Look for a little light on the dash somewhere indicating that it is ON or OFF.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are in Norway, but most participants here are in the U.S. Your safety laws are different than ours, and your cars have some different equipment than ours, so I'm not sure that our American answers would accurately describe these details in the version of car you have.

Chapman describes the automatic "Front passenger occupant classification system" used in U.S.-market cars, and described in U.S.-edition 2010 Prius Owners Manual on pages 126-131. With this, we don't have a manual switch, it is done automatically.

Your best bet is to find the Owners Manual that came with your particular car, and check it.

On our side of the pond, we can download electronic copies from:
    Manuals & Warranties | Toyota Owners
    I'd hope that there is something similar on your side.

pei_lin likes this.
  7. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It has the sense, and when a child seat on it, it shows ON. I want to turn it off manually but did not find an easy way/buttom. As another poster suggested, the best way is to dig into the manual then..

8. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, but the AIRBAG ON when the kid is in the seat. Tried to find a way to turn it off manually

9. DPri

DPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius don't have airbags on/off manual switch however If you know what you're doing you can 'de-calibrate' passenger front seat Zero Point Calibration setting via techstream so your passenger airbag will be always off.
    Another method is just disconnect the yellow plug\cable from 'seat occupancy sensor' under the seat.

p.s. For US folks, don't transport your small kids in front passenger seat unless you want to f..k up you life for good..
    It could cost you many thousands of $ in ticket, court processing fees, fines etc..., you can end up with child endangerment and felony charges, in case of child death due to crash\accident you can be charged with murder - no jock.
    Don't remember all details but i believe front passenger seat must be occupied by 8~13 y/o, at least 4'9ft tall and ~150lb

#9 DPri, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    pei_lin likes this.
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In short, NO, you can't...

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well then that tends to indicate that the weight of the child and child seat is high enough so that the air bag does NOT need to be turned off.
    That is assuming the the child is properly restrained in an approved child seat appropriate for their size and weight.

I think you should NOT be trying to second guess the experts.
    NOT having an active air bag is likely to be more dangerous.
    Maybe MUCH more.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remain completely unaware of any U.S. federal law covering this matter. This is the type of thing generally reserved to the states, which have very wildly different laws.

The IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) has a handy reference page:
    Seat belt and child seat laws by state

According to this chart, fewer than half of U.S. states express any preference for placing children in the rear seat. Among those that do, cutoffs range from as low as age 1 year and 20 pounds, to as high as age 12 years without weight limit.

#12 fuzzy1, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not convinced that most U.S. readers here are sufficiently informed to declare how certain country-market-specific features work outside the U.S. Without digging into foreign sources, I certainly am not.

... speaking of second guessing ... :rolleyes:

================================================

I found a general source for Euro-market Toyota Owners Manuals, but the English versions for Prius reach back only to 2012, not 2010. Here is a pointer to the Norway page too, but despite having more ancestry from Norway than anywhere else, and having visited there just before the Pandemic, I can't read that language:

Owner's Manual | Toyota Europe
    https://www.toyota.no/customer/manuals

According to the English 2012 Prius manual for Europe, there is a manual passenger-side cut-off switch. See pages 167-168. I can't say if OP's 2010 has the same:

upload_2023-4-18_12-4-17.png

upload_2023-4-18_12-4-48.png

upload_2023-4-18_12-5-11.png

pei_lin likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They certainly found an unobtrusive place for it....

15. pei_lin

pei_lin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for that, and thanks for every post here. That's what I was wondering about. According to youtube, the 4th Gen Prius has the same manual cut-off switch as fuzzy1 noted here. Pretty sure my Norwegian 2010 does not have it - will double check it again later today. It is a bit puzzling that 2012 version from Euro made and 2010 Norway (ok, strictly speaking, Norway is not part the EU) are that different..

btw, in my previous post, I use AIRBAG ON because that is one of the display options from the car, not my intention to use uppercase..

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S., the 2012 was a significant mid-cycle refresh of the Gen3, so there were many differences from the 2010-11. I had a 2010 for three years before trading it in for a higher trim level of the 2012 that I still drive.

Other markets probably had a similar level of changes for the 2012. But that much of a change to the airbag system is greater than I'd have expected.

17. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Uk market has that key switch as do nearly all cars sold in the UK... Well at least all the cars I've bought that have a airbag.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wrong "matter".
    In this case, it relates to safety equipment required on vehicles sold in the US.
    That is a Federal matter and is NOT left to the states.

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is not a sin to use a few upper case words for emphasis.
    Really it is NOT. ;)

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are certainly good at ripping a portion of my reply out of context, and editing out all clues to what it was really replying to.

That paragraph was about where and how to place and secure children in your car in the U.S. The IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) has a very handy reference page:
    Seat belt and child seat laws by state

I'll patiently wait for you to show your references to the equivalent federal requirements about where and how to secure child passengers, including age and weight thresholds.

#20 fuzzy1, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    Johnny Cakes likes this.