1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

eBay strut tower brace for $45 is it any good?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Jun 25, 2011.

1. silver_prius_2008

silver_prius_2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it good because it is cheap? Or it does improve handling or steering is more defined when you turn around a corner? Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  3. silver_prius_2008

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your honest feedback. How about the front underbrace? does it make a noticeable improvement in handling?

Comparing the strut bar design for Prius with that in BMW x3, the major difference is how the bar is connected to the brackets. The connection in Prius strut allows the relative rotation between the bar and the strut brackets but the connections (two vertical bolts) in X3 are much more rigid...

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Had I knew about this option, might have and may still do this....
    The Tanabe front under body brace made more of a difference.....the sway bars, even a bigger and better difference.

5. silver_prius_2008

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks mate. I have been searching for and trying to understand the effect of the underbraces. It seems to me that the fender braces make more difference than under braces for a sport car. I put my Prius on the ramp last weekend and had a look at the location where the underbrace goes. It seems to me that the x plate there is quite stiff already. I have been looking at both Tanabe and Carbing (steel) underbraces and would prefer the later one as it is fixed to the ends of the rails in the front to "close" the x plate. Does anyone have experience with the Carbing underbraces ? Also the Carbing strut bar is an one piece design and should more rigid than the bars that we have seen here although it is more expensive.