1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Elite Auto - Beware. Craigslist hybrid battery ads should make you leery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ericbecky, Nov 3, 2015.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is an example of why you should be wary of ads on Craigslist about hybrid batteries

PriusChat member "Dodge Aries K"(DAK) bought a battery from a seller called "Elite Auto"
    They regularly advertise on Craigslist.

In the ad, and verbally, Elite Auto gave the impression that the customer would get a 2009 battery with only 29,000 miles on it.
    After inspecting the battery, I can guarantee that is not what Elite sold the DAK!

Here are some pics from inside the battery.
    The "I" of the serial number shows it is from a 2005
    [​IMG]

Opening up the case it was obvious one module was different than the rest, also it had a black mark on it that made it stand out even more.
    Most modules had these numbers on them 089GNA09XXXD ("X" being a number 0-9") The letter "G" in the sequence means the modules were manufactured in 2005
    Except the oddball which was 286H6A14844E
    The letter "H" in the sequence means the module was manufactured in 2006.
    Clearly a module from a different pack
    [​IMG]

Additionally, beginning in 2007, Toyota started adding additional codes (B2, B3, B4, etc) to the coding on the modules. You'll notice that none of the modules in the pack that Elite Auto sold have B2 stamped on them. Therefore, not only are these not 2009 modules... they are pre-2007 modules!

The discussion about the incident is found here on PriusChat

Elite Auto spams Craigslist with ads in every region within about 200 miles of its shop in Missouri.
    Phone number 573-692-2477. Highway 28, Owensville, MO 65066
    Owner, Michael Mike Nouri
    The owner is know for scamming many people out of money, but in the Viper world. (elite auto viper - Google Search)

DAK noted other
    - The Elite Auto employee arrived at 10pm at night to install the battery pack
    - Once the battery was installed, Elite Auto asked him for an additional $50 travel fee
    - Although Elite Auto told DAK he could keep his core, when Elite Auto arrived, they made DAK relinquish his core

Fortunately DAK paid via credit card (an additional fee), so this allowed him to immediately dispute the charge since he did not get what he expected.

If you see an ad on Craigslist and it sounds too good to be true, be wary.
    Ask questions.
    Check for references.

Here is sample text from a recent Elite Auto ad....

Prius battery 2004-2009 hv WARRANTY FREE INSTALL $845
    OEM Toyota prius battery Don't be fooled, this not a rebuilt or reconditioned battery from another customers core, why do you think they want a core back from you. They are simply going to charge and discharge, cycle the cells and ship it out. This battery is complete, full battery with battery ecu and tested and ready to go for your prius. This will fix your hybrid problems if u got a p3000 code. Came out of 2009 prius with 43,892 This battery comes with a 1 year warranty. If you can't make to our location, it comes a 12 month, 48 states replacement warranty.​

Often the Elite Auto ad claims the pack is from a 29,000 mile 2009 Prius.
    Sometimes from a Camry.

From the ad you might think you are getting a 2009 battery pack.

But perhaps not.... simply saying the pack came out of a 2009 Prius is not saying it IS a 2009 pack.
    What do I mean... well if you inspected the pack when it arrived, and you caught Elite Auto giving you an older pack, they could weasel their way out of that by claiming ignorance. Perhaps Elite Auto would say, "Sorry we gave you a 2004 battery, but it really did come out of a 2009 Prius. Maybe someone changed it before it was taken out of the 2009 Prius"

If you notice, the Elite Auto ad admits outright that it is not reconditioned.
    This was certainly true in DAKs example, it still had crappy bussbars on it.

So much more I could post, but this is a good place to leave it for now.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would you be able to provide Priuschat members with the identifying information of when the battery packs were built? Ex. the serial numbers in the case and module serial numbers that contain that information?

edit: I figured out the information on the case serial, "I" is from 2005 and "J" would be 2006 and so on. Great. Thanks

#2 JC91006, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. Dodge Aries K

Dodge Aries K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'll be sending this to my credit card company. Thanks again Eric. You're the man.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    About a year ago I bought another battery pack from a person on craigslist. They told me the pack was from 2012 (gen2 replacement) and I didn't know of any way to verify what he said. But I knew from the extra stickers on the case, it was in fact a replacement pack and not OEM from when the car was built.

Now with the information Eric provided, I see the serial number with a year designated with letter "N", which shows its from 2010. So basically the seller got away with telling me it was 2 years newer. I'm still happy with the pack as it's performing quite well in my 2005.

5. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Attached is the info on decoding the date code on the battery case.
    This may be helpful for an unmolested pack.

For a rebuilt battery pack, though, the case means nothing. Rebuilders may simply put on any old case lid they have lying around and it would have no correlation to the modules inside.

To decode the year the module was made...
    The 4th digit from the left is the year.
    Beginning with "A" for 1999.

Attached Files:

#5 ericbecky, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Petrodollar, Robert Holt and JC91006 like this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Eric,
    Thanks for looking out for us and exposing this scam. You are truly a blessing to us here in the Prius community.

Petrodollar, dorunron and JC91006 like this.
  7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Eric! Buyers beware of anything on craigslist. Keep in mind, people have been beat up, information about you is kept and used for other illegal purchases (they use your credit card info) and most of the stuff found on craiglists has been illegailly obtained. It is definitely a buyer beware free for all.

8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another PriusChat member, jahstme, reports that she bought a Prius that had a battery installed by Elite Auto a bout 4 months ago.

Last week the check engine light came on, and Elite Auto is dodging her calls. (This seems to be a common tactic by Elite Auto.)

Unfortunately being a broke college student jahstme's only recourse would be to possibly try to sue Elite Auto. Which is unlikely since she is in Tennessee and Elite Auto is in Missouri.

jahstme says, "Horrible company to work with and everyone should avoid doing business with them!!!"

If anyone else has direct experience with Elite Auto, please continue to post on this thread.

There is an thread from 5 years ago (!) with negative feedback about Elite Auto and Michael Nouri. One of the posts suggested dealing with Elite Auto in person since there is a high likelihood of difficulty with followup. by Elite Auto if a problems arises.

Additionally there is a thread on PriusChat from 2012 disparraging them.
    In it, PriusChat member oldnoah had this to say about Michael Nouri (of Elite Auto)...
    They will not honor their warrantee, will not return calls if they owe you anything, have apparently failed to ship items that were paid for. They have lied to me personally with respect to a warrantee over the phone, which evaporated once the transaction went to the paperwork, and then failed to answer phone calls, emails and faxes. If you do a google search on xvipers, Michael Nouri and "liar" you'll get dozens of hits.​

9. Dodge Aries K

Dodge Aries K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sad to hear someone else recently got duped by this place...

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's in other threads here on PriusChat. I just haven't copy/pasted it. Unfortunately kinda low in my list of things. Sorry.

Case info added.

11. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    thank you sir!

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have been scammed by Elite Auto and used a credit card, contact your credit company right away.

Dodge Aries K got his money back by filing a dispute via his credit card company.

The credit card company reversed the charges, taking back the payment from Elite Auto.

Fyi. I updated the posts with module date information.

S Keith and usnavystgc like this.
  13. nicholas_k

nicholas_k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can only imagine how many people these guys are ripping off. Their ads are everywhere on Craigslist. I'm willing to bet they're using stolen images as well.

14. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    yes they are. A popular one is from Lucious Garage.

15. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I replaced a battery for a lady the other day who said Elite Auto wouldn't return her call eventhough they had replaced her battery and it was still under their warranty. I went out hoping to get one of those low mileage 2009 batteries they advertise all over Craigslist (I also advertise on there by the way). The lady told her the battery was a 2009 with 45,000 miles. I wasn't totally surprised when I pulled the battery and discovered it was a 2004. So I stopped by the guy's place in Owensville to tell him he owed me a battery. His guys told me he wasn't there as I saw him hiding in the back. I look at several of the Prius' he had sitting outside for sale and saw that most of them had had their batteries removed. Beware folks.

#15 HBS, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Petrodollar and bisco like this.
  16. KatieNebr

KatieNebr New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly we got one of these "under warranty" and have tried contacting them in vain and from this thread it looks like we never will.

It also looks like they've changed their name to Armstrong Hybrid Automotive out of Owensville, MO (still on craigslist...searching in my feeble attempt at tracking them down).

With that said are there any good dealers in the Mid-west? Our battery is dying and the $4,500 Toyota is asking (oh wait, they will give me $1300 for the old one) is out of the question for a car this old.

#16 KatieNebr, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  17. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, some people who advertise on Craigslist are running some type of scam. They are good at what they do and can even produce legit credientials. I don't use Craigslist for anything. Too many people I know have been completely ripped off, as well as having their CC information compromised. I feel for you. I know $4,500 is a lot, and I think offering $1,300 for the old one should be somewhat negotiable (maybe $2,000?). This is basically and all labor job, so the costs for the battery should be somewhat negotiable. The one good thing about going to Toyota is at least you know the product is good, will work and you will have a long warranty. Wish you well.

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Geesh, if they were really charging you $4,500 that would be outrageous.
    $3,200 is closer to what I hear dealers are charging.

Sorry to hear you are being scammed by these guys. (How can they sleep at night?)

Not sure how long the Owensville pack has been in, but if not too long and you used a credit card, you may be able to contest the charges.

There are other options for rebuilt batteries, feel free to call me and discuss.

19. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Katie,

Nebraska is too far for me. I rebuild batteries in the Twin Cities. Just above yours was a post from HBS. He is in Rock Port MO.
    Prius Hybrid Battery Service - 36 Mos. Warranty

There is shop that specializes in Prius near Sioux City, IA

Brian's Repair

Brad

20. 1992

1992 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Armstrong hybrid automotive is my business I do not work for him any more I got tired of him lying to customers

dolj likes this.