1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Link for iPhone

Discussion in 'OBDII iPhone App' started by runnerAZ, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wisco,

If you can open the csv file in a text editor such as Notepad and save the file as a text file. Attach the text file here so others can read. You can attach the csv file but the text file is easier to open and verify format.

The Gen 1 communicates differently from the Gen 2 or 3. I notice that your header addresses at the end are totally different. It will probably take someone with a Gen 1 to help you with details but we may be able to help with any csv format issues that we see.

Dwight

2. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, if no one has ideas here I might pop over to the torque discussion in the Gen 1 section. Engine Link claims to support Torque PIDs, but they are even more confusing.

I've attached the files I have tried, all with no success. The names of the files don't indicate much.

These are some of the PIDs and headers for SOC..
    01C9, 8416F1 (nwh11.csv)
    191, 84D5F1 (modifiednwh11.csv)
    0191, D5F1 (nhwcsv2.csv)
    0191, 84D5F1 (jeffcsv.csv)

I'm assuming my wifi adapter is fine because the basic engine stuff works.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wisco,

Engine Link will support the Torque PID's but the data needs to be re-arranged in a different order. I have taken one of your nwh11.csv files that you attached and re-arranged the data in the correct Engine Link format. The csv and the text file are attached. If you look at the text file you will see the correct format order for Engine Link.

Try and load this nwh11_EL.csv file in Engine Link and see if some of these will work. I noticed that some of the formulas use the SIGNED A value which Engine Link does not support. If most of these work we can go back and change the SIGNED A to a plain A value and see if the formulas will still work.

Let me know how this works.

Dwight

Attached Files:

4. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Dwight.

That file didn't work, but I did find one PID that works. I combed through the scanguage vs torque discussion and found this:

Name: State-of-Charge
    ShortName: soc
    ModeAndPID: 0191
    Equation: A/2
    Min Value: 30
    Max Value: 90
    Units: %
    Header: 82D5F1

Before my drive home I added this new entry to my standard PID list in the app. The funny thing is that I entered it wrong. It prompted me for the "ECU address or header (default is 0)" and without thinking I entered 0. The data seems plausible, it started out at 57.5% and by the end of the drive was up to 65%.

So maybe other PIDs will work with 0 as the header, I'll play around with it this weekend. The other explanation is that there is something different about my standard list. I'll add the same PID to another list to see if it works everywhere.

5. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm on the right track. I can manually input PIDs with zero as the header and get results. I did one for lowest cell block voltage and got 1428 cV (I'm going to assume it's just off by a factor of ten). And I did HV battery voltage and got 2 volts, which seems a tad low ;)

So far I can't import a full list with 0 as the header, but that will be the next step. If I get a full list I will post it for other Gen1 engine link users.

6. Jghake

Jghake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can modify the equation to get that call to be in specs.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    None of the PID's in the file worked ? Interesting. That makes me wonder if the Headers are listed correctly since the SOC PID works for the default 0 header.

When you use the default "0" for the header then you are just listening for any response for PID 0191 regardless of ECU. With the SOC it appears that the response that you received is correct.

The Standard List is just PID's that are standard for most all vehicles and it most likely just uses the default 0 header and listens for any response.

As you see you can enter the data for any PID from other sources by just entering the data into the format that Engine Link needs.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For the individual cell block voltages that should be 14.28V. You can add "divide by 100" to the equation, as Jghake suggested, to correct the values.

If you go in to the csv file that I sent you, change all of the headers to 0, save the file and then export to Engine Link then it should work. Question, you are using the latest rev 3.4 software, correct?

If you build a file by entering PID's manually you can just import that file back to your PC and save.

9. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same thought. I pulled the standard list off the app, and opened it up next to yours. Then I just transferred the new data over to the standard list, using the exact same column names and order. I wanted to make sure the formatting was the same, just to eliminate variables.

And it worked. The vast majority of the PIDs lit up, but a lot of them (especially temperature-related) gave nonsense data. I attached a few screen shots. Ambient temperature was probably low 20's Fahrenheit.

I wasn't completely convinced that my happy mistake header was the key to all this. The custom lists I've imported have (mostly) loaded fine, and the equations, names, and PIDs look right. But next to the standard list I noticed some differences. The order of the columns is different, and while the custom PIDs say "equation" my standard list says "formula", instead of "ModeAndPID" it has "ModePID", instead of "ShortName" it has "Description". So I made an exact copy of the file I had success with, but put the headers back in. None of the PIDs worked.

Things I still don't understand..
    So if the zero header is a general call for data, could a PID retrieve data from the the wrong ECU? Do different ECUs use the same PID (but with different headers)?
    The app is clearly getting data from more than the main ECU, right?

Even in this state the app is fantastic. I was worried the PO who fixed the HV battery might have left some marginal blocks in, but all the voltages seem good.

Attached Files:

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, it looks like it is reporting temps in the 0 F range to be giving the negative F values.

The name descriptions are different for different systems, ScanGauge, Torque, Engine Link, etc. but they mean the same thing. So this is not a problem as long as the data is arranged correctly. I think your header data is not right and the fact that when you changed from 0 back to the header values they did not work. I am not familiar with the Gen 1 ECU naming scheme. From your files there seems to be a difference. Some have 84 in the beginning and others do not. Maybe someone with Gen 1 experience can clarify.

With my Gen 3, there are multiple ECU's with the same PID numbers. So yes you can retrieve data from the wrong ECU. I have seen as many as 3 different PID responses from 3 different ECU's. That is the reason for the Header information. So that you get the correct data that you are requesting.

Make a copy of the obddata.log file and post it on here. I can take a look at the requests and responses and let you know.

Yes, the cell block voltages that I saw looked comparable. You just need to divide by 100.

The app is a really good one. There are multiple ways to troubleshoot and figure out what is keeping a PID from responding correctly. The Support Group is good about responding to questions, etc.

One thing that I noted on your pictures is that the No. of DTC's indicate 22. Try to clear the DTC's and see if this changes.

11. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying that the Gen 3 Fuel Level PID works on Gen 2? Any modifications needed?

12. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again Dwight, here's the log. Looks like gibberish to me. I'm going to research nhw11 headers and see if I can get the most comprehensive PID list.

Attached Files:

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. Apparently the Gen 2 is different. I was just trying to say that Fuel Level is very useful for both vintages. I know I use mine for the Gen 3 quite often.

I am working with the Engine Link Support Team to modify the Fuel Level displays in order to use with the Prius. Each vintage appears to handle this differently though.

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the obddata.log file looks like gibberish unless you open it with a text editor such as Notepad ++. Then it will arrange the data in the correct line break order. Even then you have to know how to interpret ELM327 data responses to interpret.

I know that the Gen 1 does not use CAN communication. So the responses look similar to CAN but different enough that I cannot readily identify the ECU responses. It looks like as many as 3 ECU's are responding to the default PID requests. I can see in the csv file how the header names are similar to the obddata.log responses. However csv file headers begin with 84 and the log file response begins with 48?

It will take someone familiar with the Gen 1 header format to give you the correct header names.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wisco,

I spent some time reading the Scangauge or Torque App? | PriusChat thread in the Gen 1 section (I am sure this is the one that you have been reading also) to try to get a better understanding of the header formats. I found this from Bob Wilson:
    • 84 - prefix needed for ELM (aka., mode)
    • 16|D5|10 - destination ECU address, 16->HV ECU, D5->battery,10->engine(?)
    • F1 - ELM address
    • 01 - mode includes count of PID bytes
    • xx - PID byte, depends on ECU
    The 10, 16 and D5 ECU's were the ones that I was seeing respond in the obddata.log file. So according to this thread the 84XXF1 header should be correct, with XX being the specific ECU.

Also there was discussion where if you have more than one ECU responding to a PID request that the first one responding will be the data used even though this is not from the correct ECU. So you will need the correct header request to receive the correct data.

My guess is that Engine Link is not recognizing this addressing scheme since they do not have a Gen 1 file in their PID listing. I had to work with them to update their code to allow header requests for the Gen 3 so that I could access certain PID's from specific ECU's. Of course the header format for the Gen 3 is totally different from the Gen 1.

You may want to contact [email protected]

Dwight

16. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I emailed support, hopefully they have a solution.

I might try different combinations of the header chunks to see if I can get the ECU address through the app. If I can figure out which part of the header is being rejected maybe I can disguise it as a header the app will accept.

Translation: push buttons until something works :)

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My first guess would be to try without the leading 84. I saw more than one file with just the D5F1 for example.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just wanted to pass this piece of information on to other Engine Link users. I was experimenting with some of the ICE Coolant PID's, such as Coolant_7C0 and Coolant_7E0 from vincent1449p's ZVW30 Custom PID's for Torque file, and discovered that the operational csv file is the pidlist.csv file.

I had been manually adding new PID files to try different min, max and equations in an attempt to determine the correct setup for the Coolant_7C0 PID. Out of curiosity I went back and selected the original ZVW30 csv file and noticed that none of the manually entered PID's were listed in this file.

So I added a few more manual PID's and then went to iTunes and copied the pidlist.csv file. When I opened the pidlist.csv file with Notepad the manually entered files were listed here but not in the original file.

So that makes sense that whatever csv file that you select from the Load PID list gets copied in to the pidlist.csv file and is the current operational file. This is good to know that you can experiment with this current file without affecting your original csv file.

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Engine Link advertises that their current version 3.4 supports Torque PID's. Wisco questioned this in a post above.

The answer is that Engine Link will support the Torque PID's BUT the Torque data needs to be re-arranged in a sequence that is recognized by Engine Link.

I have attached a pdf file that shows the Torque csv file and the equivalent Engine Link csv file . Hopefully this will help with any confusion about how to convert a Torque csv file to an Engine Link csv file.

I just made a copy of the ZVW30 Custom PID's for Torque.xlsx file from another thread on here, removed the Name column, re-arranged the other columns to match the Engine Link sequence and then saved this modified file in another xlsx file. I created a csv file from the xlsx file and then opened the csv file in Notepad to verify and then saved this text file.

I loaded the Engine Link version of the csv file in Engine Link using iTune. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

SAronian likes this.
  20. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 1 PID list update:

My PID list for the nhw11 works if the header is just the middle two digits (10, 16, D5). The app accepts it and the correct ECU still responds. I posted the file over here. Thanks for all the help.

jdcollins5 likes this.