1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune 3.1 Update Link *DIY No Dealer*

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by priusCpilot, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    U talking about version of each App?

2. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I thought Entune was an application that runs on the radio, not the radios operating system. The operating system is still 2.1.0. If that is even the correct terminology.

Last week though, an update of some kind was downloaded through my phone to the radio on my C4 via bluetooth. The display indicated an Entune update iirc.

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, I can see where it can be confusing. Primarily, Entune is indeed the operating system which runs the Display Audio system in various models of Prius and other Toyotas. It controls everything you seen on the main screen: the audio and navigation systems, including all the voice recognition functions, and also the various apps such as Bing, Traffic, Pandora, etc. If you look at the Entune 3.1.0 update info that Erica put up a while ago, you'll see that it fixed various problems in both the audio and navigation systems.

Entune update 3.1.0 | Page 4 | PriusChat

Entune is also the name of the app which runs on your smartphone. This is the connection between the apps in the car and the internet, and it allows the car apps to get the data they need to function. Without an internet connection, most of the car apps don't work, but this has no effect on the base audio and navigation systems. As an aside, some users, depending on the phone and their data plan, were able to get the car apps to work without running the Entune app on their phone; I don't know if this is still possible.

In any event, when we talk about an "Entune update" here, we almost always mean an update to the Display Audio operating system. You're on Entune 2.1.0, and if you're having any of the problems noted in Erica's post above, you should get it updated. The updates are free at the dealer, although many dealers don't seen to know this, perhaps confusing the Entune update with map updates, which are definitely not free.

Historically, Entune updates have been distributed three different ways. The first one that I got for my C was a red USB stick that Toyota sent in the mail. The second one was via my iPhone, and was a minor update to a couple of the car apps. After that, the updates have been only via USB stick at the dealer.

However, as we've seen in this thread, an enterprising Toyota owner at another forum site has obtained the Toyota files for Entune 3.1.0, and more recently 3.2.0, and made them available for download. If you know what you're doing you can load these onto your own USB stick and perform the update yourself, thus bypassing any ignorant or uncooperative dealers.

Hope this helps!

Oldwolf likes this.
  4. Well I updated to Entune 3.2... I don't see why everyone keeps talking about updating Entune, everything looks the same as before. My car came with version 2.1 I think.

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Did you look at the list of problems that are fixed in 3.1.0? See my post above. Some of them were pretty serious, but perhaps you didn't encounter them.

6. Well I mean I don't bother with pairing a phone with my car, I just use the touchscreen stuff to play my iPod and look at the graphical MPG display, it's amusing.
    And I always thought that switching to your iPod automatically when you connect it was just normal. Though occasionally the system won't recognize the iPod so I just fiddle with the options until it shows up.
    I haven't tested version 3.2 enough. I guess I was expecting this huge re-design of all the screens.

7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I downloaded the swdl.iso file...will update soon. Thanks for the great thread.

8. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I used the link to update to Entune 3.2. It seemed to work okay.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Most excellent!

10. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'm at the dealer now waiting on an oil change and squeaky glove box TSB repair. I asked for an Entune 3.x update and he said he will check to see if it is available.

11. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will update to 3.2 today - going to 3.1 caused one irritating new thing - if I am streaming from bluetooth, shut off the car, the next time I restart the car, the first time I switch the radio input it works for a few seconds and then switches BACK to bluetooth. Hopefully 3.2 fixes that...

12. -y0-

-y0- Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for this, updated mine and it works great! Much better touchscreen.

13. W5JCK

W5JCK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Cool, I just upgraded from 1.8 to 3.2. I didn't have time to play with the update yet, but will in the days to come. I'm hoping that since I had such an old version that 3.2 will be much faster and improve the voice navigation which never quite worked correctly. According to the fixes compiled by Erica for 3.1, it should be quite an improvement! I saw in that other thread that some were complaining about the night mode for navigation being unreadable, but on 3.2 I was able to read the map well at night, but I'm not sure if it was in night mode are not. I never saw a night mode in version 1.8, but I never looked for it either. Day mode looks fine at night IMO.

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    What does "Copy to USB do?"

15. W5JCK

W5JCK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't press the Copy to USB button, but I assume it will copy the Device/Product/Nav ID numbers to a text file on the USB drive so you don't have to write them down on a piece of paper. That would be helpful if you wanted to give the ID's to say SiriusXM to activate your satellite radio, or to Toyota Customer Service if trying to resolve an issue.

16. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    All it does is save some personal settings; I haven't tried it myself, but here's someone who did:
    Entunes Update Arrived, my findings.... | PriusChat

17. W5JCK

W5JCK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I got the chance to go test out Entune 3.2 in my Prius c Four this morning. I don't see much difference really. I was never able to connect my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 to Entune 1.8, and Entune 3.2 fails to connect as well. I won't go into the details here as I posted the connection failure in a new thread where I cover it in detail. Hopefully Entune 3.2 will fix some of the issues that plagued the older versions, but so far in my case it doesn't have any wow factor.

18. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, just copied the files to a USB stick, but have not renamed anything to 14A. Is it critical to rename the USB stick to 14A? Or can I just copy the files and load them into the car? Thanks in advance.

19. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Updated a week ago, every thing is just like before. One HUGE thing though. Auto playback no longer happens when bluetooth connects. That's a major plus! I was on 1.8 before the update.

20. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just update from 2.1 to this 3.2. Then I read it is not for the PREMIUM had. I have a prius IV. Everything seems to be working. Did I mess anything up?