1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evaluating used 2014, what to check for? e.g., EGR, etc

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Will Stewart, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Will Stewart

Will Stewart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Am assisting my daughter as she is testing out a 2014 Prius Two at 103k miles from Carmax (with a 7 day return window). I've been focused heavily on evaluating the battery with Dr. Prius and Hybrid Assistant (with apparently fairly good results), and now have found out about the EGR issue, and am now wondering if there are other issues I should be checking for.

Is there anything substantive I can look for without tearing the EGR, intake manifold etc fully down as seen in the cleaning videos in other threads? My daughter is 2 hours away, and I'd like to have another good look at the car before the 7 day return window closes.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only way to truly know the condition of the egr circuit is to investigate the whole circuit;).

As for the battery, at 6 years old and good use, you won't find anything there:cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted(y).

pjksr02, Grit and Will Stewart like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would suggest using Techstream and running this test here. Nothing to tear down. It would be more conclusive if we had more data collected, but we've got some, and it appears to be connected to reality in the expected direction.

It won't tell you whether some of the intake manifold passages are more obstructed than others. If you want to check that, removing the IM itself is not so big a job. You might bring a fresh IM gasket; they are rubber and have been reused without incident in a pinch, but Toyota forbids that, and by 103,000 it will be somewhat cooked and a bit flattened, so you'd be taking chances with a vacuum leak.

But then, Carmax might be disinclined to take a car back if you've been poking around taking manifolds off.

Will Stewart likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How would they know that was done?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didn't assume the OP would choose to deceive them.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's relatively easy and unobtrusive to remove just the EGR pipe for inspection. That said, with the miles, I would just assume EGR (and intake) cleaning is in the cards.

Peter123 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd recommend a good washing and waxing of the car, because in doing so, you would likely notice any body repairs, like from an accident, that you hadn't seen at first glance. Sometimes collision repairs just don't make it into the car's history record (like CarFax).

Also run the VIN just to make sure there are no outstanding recalls.

The car is at a good mileage, not too high, and with you knowing the model's pitfalls (EGR circuit especially), it should have many miles and years ahead of it.