1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Explanation why Prius v did not have DRLs

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by SZ939, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On our Canadian car, with lowered brightness high beams being used for DRL, I noticed this discolouration on the bulbs the other day:

image.jpg

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also have discoloration on the 9005 highbeam bulb:

[​IMG]

It was perfectly clear when I installed it, but it gets discolored over time. I believe it is due to the lower voltage used during DRL operation, which does not allow the normal halogen cycle to occur. You can clearly see that the discoloration is on the base and tip ends of the capsule, where the capsule would be the farthest away from the hot filament and therefore, relatively cooler.

#42 xliderider, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just went out to check the bulbs in question on my USA (no DLR) 2012 Prius v 5 with Adv. Tech. Pkg. with 38000 miles, and the bulbs were as clear as can be. So this is just another sample point that supports the theory that DRL using headlights at reduced power causes discoloration of the bulbs.

I really like how the PriusChat community can find/determine cause/solve problems/questions with the great Prius vehicle.

chriswong and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe I'll just drive with the high beams constantly on, for a while. :whistle:

5. gandG

gandG New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Almost all good DRL solutions operate the DRL at reduced brightness, often 50%. So using your headlights on all the time is not the same as DRL. By far the best system is the one we had in our 1998 (!!!) Canadian-built Corolla, which was DRL but ALSO automatic lights on when dark, with a light sensor on the dashboard deck. I believe shipped to Canada Priuses are the same.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup. But I never use the auto headlights, prefer the control.

7. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    kirrill,

I like those British DRLs. I may get them (in addition the the bright 4 LED lights I have mounted on my upper grille). As I said in another thread, since I live in the 'Vegas valley with 24/7 drinking & drugs ya can't have too many lights. (Or will I end up confusing a paranoid crackhead who thinks I'm an alien spaceship out to get him?)

8. chriswong

chriswong New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Why won't you consider Dual function fog (Fog w/ DRL integrated).
    I had this on my Prius C and it works great. The circular leds are the DRL. Center is the projected fog.

[​IMG]

9. W0000kie

W0000kie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Any1 maybe can say.. Prius V and Prius Plus have same turn/drl lamps? i mean the form and fixing tasks..