1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bnaccs, Nov 19, 2012.

1. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I want to purchase an extended warranty for piece of mind on my 2010 Prius that has 30,000 mies on it. I found a Toyota Platinum plan 0 deductible from a dealer in Kansas for $985. Are these plans still available on Prius Chat? If so how much are they and where can I find them?

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you! Do you think the warranty is a bad move?

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2nd gen Prius has been very reliable, the 3rd gen cars have been very reliable so far...
    Many ppl only keep their cars for 2-4 years, so the extended warranty is not a good investment. If you plan on keeping your P for a long time the extended warranty may be a good idea. Who knows.. in 7 years the 3rd gen Prius may look like a museum relic compared the the 5th gen Prius.

5. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I plan to keep it at least 7 years.

6. Aleckin

Aleckin Maximizing utility from a depreciating asset.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I can provide information from Consumer Reports to help you make an informed decision. Based on CR's research data, I refused the extended warranty on my previous purchases: 2003 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Honda Civic, and 2012 Toyota Prius. I would never purchase an extended warranty for a Honda or Toyota vehicle listed as "Much better than average" in CR's reliability ratings. From CR's data, I concluded that purchasing an extended warranty on the Corolla, Civic, or Prius would have been a net financial loss. My hypothesis has been proven to be correct based on the 5 years of ownership of the Toyota Corolla and 6 years of the Honda Civic.

Consumer Reports' advice on warranty:
    "Don’t purchase an extended warranty on a car with a good reliability record. In a 2008 CR survey, 65 percent of respondents said they spent much more for the contract than they got back in savings on repairs."

[​IMG]

7. suri

suri New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a 2012 prius 2 in southern californaia 2 weeks back. Paid $1580 for 8 years 72K miles. I think I overpaid for the warranty. Can someone tell me if I can buy warranty for less than the price I paid. Also, If I buy warranty from a different state will I still be covered in California ?

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why would anyone ever buy and extended warranty after seeing those stats. Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world. There are many people in these forums with over 100,000 miles with zero repairs. Put your money in the bank and save it for your next car. Your Prius is never going to break.

9. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  10. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never buy a extended warranty on a Gen III Prius? Yes

Never going to break? Maybe, Maybe not but based on the stats above your chances are slim.

This is key. Consumer Report has done extensive research on this subject.