1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fender Liner

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nicholas Licato, Mar 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nicholas Licato

Nicholas Licato New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi - anyone having problems with their front wheel well liners? Mine have been in bad shape after the first six months since I bought it (new/November 2016). Hills, intersections with slight depressions for drainage, speed bumps, parking curbs - these normally encountered road and parking lot features have wrecked mine. I received the advice below from the service department at a dealership outside my area, and the service rep tells me that Toyota is aware of the abnormally high wear issues with the front wheel wells but there isn't a recall on this. Even if I put new ones on, it isn't going to fix the problem, unless I jack up the front end a couple inches to improve clearance. Don't even know if that is even possible, and it probably would impact gas mileage and look strange. Quoted $225 per liner (labor extra).

upload_2019-3-9_20-19-37.png

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC. I just read this thread today. Sorry, no one has chimed in.
    I can't recall reading anything about PRIME having a problem with front wheel well liners until your thread. I don't have that problem and I don't understand how front wheel well liners can wear under normal driving conditions. It is not a moving part, and usually not even subjected to physical damages. The only time I ever needed well liner replaced was after a car accident that required front fender to be straightened, but the car was not Pruis. Can you show us what yours looks like after 2 years?

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And now I've stumbled across this thread. So strange that no one has responded. I hope you haven't gone away disgusted with us, @Nicholas Licato.

I'm in the same boat as @Salamander_King. I don't know why a fender liner would wear either and would be interested in seeing some pictures. The only thing I can think of would be lots of driving on loose gravel. You'd probably have paint chips all over the place, too.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes the clips will break when removing it.
    And the clips can be a buck or two apiece sometimes.

Putzy job so I could see it being 30 minutes to and hour of labor at the dealer.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, one of rare cheap parts for PRIME. Now, OP's comment.
    This does not sound right. Labor extra???