1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fighting with Toyota Corporate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JMJimmy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Any suggestions/techniques on dealing with Toyota Corporate with regards to getting out of warranty issues covered?

I bought an '08 Prius from a Toyota dealer and in only a few short months I have water in the trunk due to a hairline crack in a roof weld. While I know I can just seal it with sealer - I want to get it repaired properly and have escalated the issue to them.

I know it's an issue on Prius' Water leak...into spare tire area etc | PriusChat in general - has anyone been successful in getting such issues covered?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What warranty are you trying to put this on? Warranty from 2008 is already run out. Or did you get some used car warranty when you bought it?

3. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Structural welds along the roof line that should never fail in the reasonable lifetime of the vehicle and is something I would expect Toyota to deal with. It's a manufacturing defect not wear and tear or rust which is reasonable for me to be responsible for.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If welds are spot welds, as most of welds nowadays are, then it might not be a structural problem at all. As with the spot welds it could be just the metal bending and sealant getting old.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Call your local TV station......it'll get fixed

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great idea, consumer advocate. they don't like bad pub.

7. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try that if it gets that far.

This is the weld that runs the length of the roof attaching it to the frame of the car. If you see this post: Water leak...into spare tire area etc | Page 3 | PriusChat the pictures show what's happening to my vehicle except mine is on the driver side not the passenger side.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    9 year old car, good luck getting a warranty for that. Next time you'll need to buy Hyundai with 10 year warranty

strawbrad likes this.
  9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know what welds you mean. I did glue them on mine. Put I still don’t know what type of welds they are and what has actually failed in it. I tried to find that online but could not find pictures of the area. Maybe you could take the paint and sealer off and then take pictures? Then we would know what has actually happened.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there have been many complaints here. it is most definitely a defect. if they could all be mustered into a database, i think toyota might be surprised. or not.

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I doubt it. The warranty is what it IS.......and they are under no legal obligation to accommodate what you THINK it should be.
    NONE.

strawbrad likes this.
  12. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too am thinking that this repair will be coming out of your pocket. Toyota's only obligation is their warranty period. After that the owner assumes responsibility for anything that may go wrong, unless Toyota is willing to do a "goodwill" repair.
    Lol if people held European brands to the same standard that most people hold Toyota to (ie nothing should ever go wrong) those companies would go broke.