1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Britprius, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry badly put but correct in the context of the whole sentence, the battery is rated at 55 amps at a 10 hr rate (5.5 AMP discharge will last for ten hours).

John (Britprius)

2. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    glad you said it, I was wondering myself, if you got something to say say it, those bateries are rated for large curent, couple lightbulbs and computers, are like accesories for these kind of batteries what are you talking about rates of charge discharge, these bateries are overkill if anything, hence the op chose it considering his aplication, oh yes and his notes are acurate,

3. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see, that makes lots of sense, have you had a chance to read through my post in the other thread, I was even considering a lithium pack before I came across your thread, this should be a sticky, i'm surprised that this post is recent, I just got into a prius, and I can't understand if it were to save my life why would anyone consider $300 for a "profesional" to install an improper "oem" recomended battery, everything is outrageus about that statement, considering the 4 amp charge rate of the prius these deepcycles are better suited

j12piprius likes this.
  4. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    or better yet the oem battery manufacturer spokesman, all noise nonsense, if only those mobility bats had a flux capacitor, then thay may be suited to provide alfa ultraelectrons like the oem does
    I'm sorry just can't help it, I got on here looking for some good advice, its been mentioned allready, i'll listen to anything that complies with the laws of fizics, you ger into quantum you lost me

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can you put a link to your post as I would like to read it.

John (Britprius)

6. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here's a real question not that its much of a concern in this aplication, deep cycles are rated to 20% dod rule of thumb, at least the flooded, 100% youre just looking for trouble, however cycle life I'm pretty sure 200 is about it, one thing the op mentioned which I'm not sure about, is 1200 cycles? ( maybe agm at 50%, those scooters too may have a limit too), again not a concern in this aplication, just found it odd, thou if they held up in his scooter for a couple years and still have 85% capacity, I guess 1200 cycles can be realistic

that beeing said " However, nothing, yet, financially beats the capacity of lead-acid batteries in deep-cycling installations" at 1200 cycles 20% dod sure maybe, I doubt it thou, if you consider 200 cycles, they are the most expensive least value, again this is off topic, unless in the op aplication, he needs a deep cycle, or anybody planning audio and 40 inch monitors, or like the wife just trying to stay warm "idleing" if you can call it that

anywho the we you refrence, who is we : We have batteries installed throughout the world, Flooded Lead-Acid, who are being used to power complete villages or manufacturing plants. They are really reliable and have long cycle life, but are very heavy and need maintenance. you would not be hiding that for some reason, what would be there to hide

ok ,I'm done, sorry if I came across as a liittle ....thou my questions were serious, what kind of life is one to expect out of those vilage powering lead acid

7. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant thread, Toyota OEM 12V replacement Battery | PriusChat just below this one I was just looking for advice as to what kind of specs to aim for if bulding something like lithium, my concerns were that it is a deep cycle like battery in a normal car not such a great ideea but the prius might do, if the oem is reted for 35 ah at 20 h discharge dam a 10 ah lithium would probl do, some of these have 10 c rate, commonly 2 -3 c besides, is there any instance where the prius would realy draw 1.75 amps for 20 hours at a time?
    I guess thats my real question, are 35 ah even necessary, well I guess they are may be they are a bit short,

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the Prius is used a couple of times a week for an hour or two the 35 AH battery should be fine.

The problems come if the car is left parked or not used for a few weeks as the security systems and entry system slowly discharge the battery. The OEM battery does not stand up well to this.

If the owner is in the habit of sitting in the car listening to the audio system without putting the car in ready mode the discharge while listening can be up to 10 amps, more if the side lamps are left on at night. This represents a discharge rate of around three hours.

As batteries age there capacity goes down and this is when troubles begin. A 50% loss of 35 AH leaves only 17.5 AH a 50% loss of 60 AH leaves 30 AH and since the life of a battery is governed by the depth and number of discharges a larger capacity battery will be discharged less % wise than a smaller one in the same application.

John (Britprius)

9. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to catch up on the conversation, I see some of my questions have been answered allready, here's some pics of my boys' jeep, thought it was flooded, looks like agm, and it doesnt apear to be vented got this at the corner store fo $50 I think its refurbished

Attached Files:

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is an AGM battery. It vents through the six caps in the top. It's discharge rate for 20 hrs would be 1.6 amps as it's capacity is given as 32 AH at C20. You will notice it is only rated at 27 AH if discharged at a 5 hr rate (5.4 amps)

John (Britprius)

11. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't paid much attention to it before it beats the motorcycle started battery ficher price sells with these, also I can charge it at 10 amp versus 1.something the phonecharger they sell with it, I have a batteryshop down the street the old man is all about led, walked in one day told him I need something better suited for this, he said this will do

12. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the fancy fob, so I am asuming i have the larger battery, havent looked at it yet, the other day the wife was waiting for me for a few hours, had the car on ready for heat, engine would come on and off, lights were on and radio, she shut it off and that was it, when I checked the battery I had 2.81v, Wth? I would have thought all those computers would not alow the aux battery to drain like that, in a couple hours, also she mentioned she only had it on ready twice briefly, we jumped it and drove it home its ok for now thou the start button flashes red upon startup, that can't be good, either way now i read abour the draws you posted, this car needs a deepcycle no doubt, one thing is for sure, I need a batery soon, and the dealer is not even an option, as far as I am concerned they are only good for recalls.
    now granted the car is 2007, likely original battery, just got it last fall, 44 000 miles, still this is retarded, for a minute there I thought there may be more to this thou it's been ok since aside from the blink, still I do not understand why did it drain so quick especialy on ready with the traction battery full of juice, toyota f uped on this one no doubt, these things are supposed to be housewife proof

13. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it does not mention agm nor vented its the right part number could they be plain flooded?

15. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    been chatting with a bloke there, looks like a ups shop. they also sell them in bulk theyre cheap enough to begin and free shipping, wonder if a group purchase may make sense

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am a little confused by your post. At the beginning you say the car was in ready, but later you say "she only had it on ready twice briefly" can you clarify the situation. It does sound as if the car was not in ready mode as this would keep the battery on charge. At five years old it is likely that the OEM battery has little capacity left any way. If your battery is the larger one it is 45 AH at 20 hr rate.

The Ritar battereis that will fit in the space provided in thePrius are the RA12-33 and the RA12-55, both are rated at 10hr rate so the effective capacities compared with the OEM are about 37 AH for the RA12-33 and over 60 AH for the RA12-55. The RA12-55 is the choice I made for my car, but the terminals on the version I bought are threaded flush posts but this should not cause a problem. See picture. View attachment 48765 bat4.JPG

John (Britprius)

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    bat2.JPG The batteries on that web site are not Ritar batteries, they are replacements for Ritar batteries. Very clever wording and no mention of the manufacturer on the batteries. Ritar batteries will have Ritar on the front.

John (Britprius)

18. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen your post thow the ones pictured on this website look diferent, may be a generic image too, they seem a bit cheap thou, size is right.
    as for the wife she can be a bit funny, could not tell you with any certanty what exacly happened, I was at the dentist and she was waiting for me for a couple hours in a parking structure, the story I got she started it and drove arround the structure for a bit to get some heat going, I know it was not necesary to drive arround but she thought so, once she got some heat parked it and turned it off, later she started it, "ready" to get some heat again, engine would cut in and out as usual, once cabin heated she turned it off, no radio either as she had her ipod, again thats the storry I got, I later found out she keeps the headlights on all the time?????!!!!!!!!!!!, thou im pretty sure they go off when you power down, who knows what else, anywho third time it would not power up, when I got to it it showed 2.81v I dont think I ever seen a batery drained so bad before, especialy in 2 hours, jumped it and it recovered, somewhat, shes out shopping right now, she has not called for a jump yet.

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did say I would post a picture of the vent point on my battery when I could get to it with the weather. However if you click on the picture below to enlarge, bat4.JPG you can just make out the vent in the same place as the Prius OEM vent, off center to the right at the top edge of the battery.

John (Britprius)

20. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files: