1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

***FIXED*** Just bought my 2004 Prius, some lights on... (Red Triangle, VSC, (!) and Red car with !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vasilis, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Vasilis

Vasilis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check. There was water under the 12V battery but that was coming in from where the bumper clips on, the car is hit on that side and 2 brackets snapped off, therefore there are two little holes where the plastic brackets were meant to be. (repair is due on that end) Since I clipped the bumper on properly (it was loose before) no more water in the battery area.
    The spare wheel is bone dry no signs of water either.
    That socket that got corroded and caused all the problems though it is on the other side (opposite to the 12V battery) so not sure how this got wet?. It does appear as an old leak I guess, no sign of recent dumpness etc..

Well I have already done just over 1000miles since I bought the car on the 2nd of September. I can say for sure that there is no mechanical problem / hybrid problem.
    Only thing that needs to be addressed is the driveshafts as they click when they are on full lock turn.

2. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very good chance edthefox5 is right on as to how your fan connector got wet, Vasilis. Check out posts 49, 50, 54 and 60 for some great pics of the suspect area. My daughters '07 had these same cracks and, although it's not likely a permanent fix, clear windshield silicone flows nicely and has held perfectly for a year now. The spare tire compartment getting wet isn't so common but I suspect many Gen 2's have wet 12v compartments due to these cracks up high in the hatch channels.

Water leak...into spare tire area etc | Page 3 | PriusChat

And great job tracking down that corroded connector!!

3. Vasilis

Vasilis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check tomorrow and report back :) cheers guys.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also check the same place on the LH (UK Passenger) side for cracks.

Vasilis likes this.
  5. Vasilis

Vasilis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked on both sides, infront of the boot hatch hinges and had hair line cracks on both ends. I have put on a coat of U-POL black silicone sealant. And now it shouldn't have any more water going in :)

Thanks guys.

m.wynn likes this.
  6. Vasilis

Vasilis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just reporting back ... :) it has now been more than two months. And everyting is going brilliant.
    Covered about 9000 miles. And the car has no problems what so ever :)

m.wynn likes this.