1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixing a slow leak in tire help

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GKL, Oct 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A digital combination tire pressure/tire tread depth gauge is my go-to tool. I make sure digital reading is identical to mechanical gauges. I have at least 4 tire depth gauges and 4 pressure gauges. For my aging eyes, the large display helps. This is from Accutire, but basically the same one as the Husky model I picked up at a local HomeDepot. I also keep manual gauges around because with a digital gauge, if the battery dies especially in very cold temp, it won't work.

upload_2021-10-16_10-11-1.png

upload_2021-10-16_10-12-25.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I have a preference for the round analog dial pressure gauge; rather than the popsicle stick. Pulling the stick up to read the actual pressure was getting tiring. I just mark my dial indicator, then check the pressures. Needle readings should match the mark. I would prefer the digital gauges; but because every time I reach for them - the battery is dead.
    BE WARNED: if you drop those gauges; the accuracy will be in question. The concussion will usually throw off the calibration; but it's nice that they're cheap to replace. I still have several popsicle stick gauges as backups and to verify accuracy.

re: the new tire position: I prefer to put it on the front driver's side; because that's where it's going to get the most wear - and skip a couple of tire rotations to get it down to the rest of the tires thread depth. I mean; rotate the other three tires. The passenger front will wear faster than the rears; unless your dragging around gold bullion in the trunk:eek:. That video is correct; but does that mean you shouldn't rotate your tires? Your best tires are always going to be your new ones. As far a fish-tailing goes; I haven't done that to a car in nearly 30 years. Front or rear wheel drive; even on slushy snow covered highways - I used to do a lot of skiing. All you have to do is slow down and drive based on road conditions - you shouldn't be a problem. Most people who buy a Prius, don't think they're Mario Andretti. I see many cars, mostly muscle cars inadvertently do 270's in an intersection at the first rain of the season. That's a driver issue, not a tire issue.

#62 BiomedO1, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021