1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat Tire Today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wjtracy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh my DW ran over a big road hazard which, whatever it was, is now rattling inside my relatively new and very flat Conti True Contact rear tire. Big bolt or something. She called AAA but an officer nicely stopped to help her put on the compact spare.

Not sure if its repairable...I will take to my TireRack installer.

Refresh my memory if a full size spare fits in the well? Anyways its the first time I can recall something other than a trivial small nail that could be plugged, in quite some years of driving.

The compact spare was decent pressure: over the years I figure it was concentrated in N2 and then I had topped it off with STAFIL which is a non-leaking but expensive gas for bike tires. Believe it was our first use of the compact spare.

#1 wjtracy, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In 39 years of driving I've only had one flat, a bent rim, that pumping up the tire couldn't get me home. As you say most flats are slow leaks caused by nails.

I wish my gen 4 had storage for an inflator. I also have a compact spare. Nothing wrong with that, the donut will get you home or to a tire shop. The only problem is changing a tire on the highway. Depending on conditions you might not have stable level ground and you've got inattentive drivers shooting by you. Your wife was lucky a police officer stopped.

I would just keep the compact spare and add a good 12v inflator like Viair. Your gen 2 has plenty of storage for this.

wjtracy likes this.
  3. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does this help?

How to Install a Full Size Spare | PriusChat

wjtracy likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that is good. They say only if the tire is deflated, so I tried to put the flat in there. It is a very tight fit with the decent tread still on there, so if I had a bald, deflated spare it might work, or a smaller diameter "big compact" tire. I did not want to jam it in as there are wires to push it past.

I kinda like the compact spare idea.

>>Looks like we may qualify for the TireRack 24-month road hazard warranty. See what happens I may use the opportunity to put in new TPMS all tires if my TireRack guy is reasonable $.

srellim234 and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't carry a spare because i get flats all the time, i carry it for emergencies. same reaso i had life insurance when my kids were young.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...remind if you have a full or compact spare in the PiP? compact right? (I mean the one you added)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, compact, sitting on the deck whenever i'm beyond 'honey can you grab the spare and bring it to me' range.:p a full size is just a bit bigger, so, other than they might be easier to come by, doesn't seem worth it.

wjtracy likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Luddite

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure, with our 3rd gen it's not quite fitting, rides a little high, not really worth the trouble. Our car came with this belt, and the Owner's Manual has an instruction on using the belt to secure the tire in the hatch area, using the D-ring strong points:

upload_2016-9-5_10-15-17.png

Regarding changing the tire by the side of the road, there's a suggestion in our Owners Manual, to use a pair of wheel chocks on the tire diagonally opposite the flat. Toyota doesn't supply such (would be nice if they did), but that's something you can pick up and stow in the under floor tray. Another good item to bring along is a smallish square of plywood, to put under the scissor jack when using on loose dirt or gravel.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and a breaker bar.:cool:

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Luddite

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I guess, if someone else is rotating your tires. I've found body shops the worst, torque them like the hinges of hell. Tire places seem to have wised up, use the torque specifications. I did notice a Costco employee just going around the circle with a torque wrench, not doing the star pattern.

bisco likes this.
  11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wife had a flat this morning, also.....must be Labor Day as we have to labor over tires.

She left to visit sister and about one minute later the phone rang. Had a suspicion it would be her because we had our first cold night last night in several months and I figured one of the tires might just go under the TPMS threshold.

Anyway, she said she'd drive back home, I did not think to ask her if she checked the tires. As she pulled into the driveway, rear driver's side was totally flat.

Ah, well, she was going to get new tires next month anyway.

As for the spare, we have used it several times and it has always been fine -- I did check it this morning and it was down to 50 PSI, that took my little Husky "home depot" air pump a few minutes to get it up to 60 PSI. Hadn't checked since last winter (yeah, I am bad).

All the other tires were also down a couple of pounds.

Finally, torqued the spare to 76 ft lbs and will order new tires in the morning -- just not sure whether to go with the Conti True Contact for $470 or a General Altimax RT43 non-lrr for $120 less. My tire dealer is really pushing the Generals.

#11 Stevewoods, Sep 5, 2016
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't care about mpg's, go with the generals.

13. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hope that thing rattling around in your tire isn't the TPMS unit. Did the tire go completely flat to the rim?

14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I deleted this because it somewhat was a thread hijack.

I started a new thread on Fred's./

Sorry, Wjtracy.

#14 Stevewoods, Sep 5, 2016
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be the TPMS but feels smaller to me. I assume it went flat as it seems to be a bigger hole, but not sure prior to autopsy.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    >>so there was a foreign object inside the tire and they said it ripped up the tire inside

I am going thru the TireRack.com road hazard warranty which apparently getting like $80 for the new tire which should be at my tire shop in a day or two - relatively painless and I never pay extra for that - it was included with the purchase. Overnite got a new TPMS off of Amazon I am trying to ask my tire guy to put in on - I can set the codes. Driving local on the compact spare, took the minivan on longer day trips that had been planned.

ILuvMyPriusToo, srellim234 and bisco like this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back driving on a new Conti True Conact
    • I was $40 out-of-pocket for install
    • TireRack picked up $80 on new tire road hazard warranty (lucky 1 more month drove 23 months)
    • TPMS - I paid $32 for a new TPMS off Amazon...they installed new TPMS for me
    • Compact spare did OK 3 days around local
    >>TPMS crazy new finding:
    The old TPMS removed from the flat was still working at 10-years old.
    So I was fiddling with Techstream and trying to figure out how to fake a good pressure reading on this un-installed TPMS, and I noticed squeezing the TPMS in my bare hands gave me 8 psig. Then I tried putting the TPMS in a big binder clip, and this gave me a 50-psig reading!! This turned off my TPMS warning light!! so now my TPMS system is reading 3 real tires and 1 binder clip...which gives me 75% coverage except for the one bad TPMS unit. See if this keeps working.
    IMG_1621.JPG

ILuvMyPriusToo, goldfinger and bisco like this.
  18. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting!

Is there any code on a TPMS sending unit to say how old it is (like on tires)?

What model TMPS did you get and did it require activation?

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the OEM Denso 550-0103 from Amazon.com
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61k8XuIGZbL._SL1216_.jpg

I think there is some confusion about the term "activation" - none required, the unit is ready to install - but you definitely need to copy down the Code (4DE6881 in the picture) and hand enter it into your Prius with Techstream/miniVCI or other TPMS setting device. The Prius has no way of automatically sensing the codes so you have to tell it all 4 TPMS codes (with Techstream you will see the codes of the other tires).

I did not see a "born on" date which might be helpful. Although supposedly, the TPMS unit is not operating when the car is off, to save batteries. So an older unused TPMS unit still should have full batteries.

ILuvMyPriusToo likes this.
  20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a video of a guy replacing a TPMS battery, I think for a Corvette. You might try digging through all that potting stuff to see if the Toyota battery could be replaced. Think I'll save my old TPMS sensor as a project to do when I need an excuse to not do something else...