1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

floor Jacking procedure

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by retiredfornow, Aug 27, 2020.

1. retiredfornow

retiredfornow New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you jack up a 2016 prius with a floor jack to change the oil? The whole bottom of the front of the car is solid plastic panel. How-to videos I found say there is a center place that has a jack pad? I dont see one, or can I jack it from the side? If so, where? without causing damage.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Gen 4 and Prime have a completely STUPID front center jacking location. It's clear back behind the engine. I measured about 54" iirc. Check out post #598 on this thread to see how I conquered it.
    Jerry's Evolving Thoughts on "new-to-me" Prime Premium | Page 30 | PriusChat
    I back the car onto the 3" high plank ramps and then I can get my floor jack back far enough to put it under the lifting point. You can even begin to see the lift point till it's up on the low ramps and then it's not easy.

From the side, I've never had a problem. There are some big bolts near the spots for the scissors jack that came with the car. They are just inside and in front of those points. That's what I used before I made my little ramps.

Edit to add that the Gen 2 front center jack point is almost as stupid as Gen 4. It's WAY back there!!!

#2 jerrymildred, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    pjksr02 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And the jacking point is pretty vague looking, when you can see it. There's a line art pic in owner's manual IIRC.

Our sons Mazda CX-5 is sim, but at least the ground clearance is better.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A floor jack worked just fine on my Gen III, but now I use a set of ramps for the Gen IV. The panel for changing the oil is removable (unlike the Gen III flap), and there's just enough room for me get under there and work.

pjksr02, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Which ramps:whistle:?

The lower gen4 and prime when compared to the Gen3 make ramp choices difficult:(.

Pics also work(y).

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah. ramps are nice if you can find ones that the front tires will hit before the bumper hits. I got rid og my ramps, but I wonder if they might work with the Prime due to the upward slope on the nose. I haven't looked to see if Gen 4 has the same upslope.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Understatement of the month and the month just began! :LOL:

8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Check the owners manual.
    I believe there is a central front (and rear) jacking point (as mention by our co-members above).

Other wise use the rocker panel's pinch weld points, one side at a time, maybe lifting each side a little at a time and go back and forth between each side. As for marring, you should use a cushion, protector, puck between the jack and the pinch weld.

Good luck.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not at home but I'm pretty sure these are the ramps I use:

The bottom of the front "bumper" has just enough clearance that they don't come in contact with the ramp.
    As I understand it, there are other "racing" style ramps that have even greater clearance. Of course, YMMV... ;)

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, the Gen IV has the "upslope" in both the front and rear...

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The scissor jack does not actually bear on the crimped seam, between the two notches. It bears on the sheet metal behind the crimped seam, and tends to dimple it too.

It sort of uses that crimped seam for lateral stability, but that's about it. If you look at the scissor jack cradle, it's got a deep notch that the seam fits in.

If it's anything like third gen, I wouldn't consider that scissor jack location a good place to jack: the material is thin, and you're basically jacking up on the underside of a knife-edge.

12. SoonerPrinowDasher

SoonerPrinowDasher New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    AZ also have the similar 17 degree incline Rhino ramp (Rhino went bkrupt post Covid??)???

I read the review and it said most sport compact would not fit as most truck and SUV??