1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB programming question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Loachdvr, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Loachdvr

Loachdvr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, here’s one for the FOB experts... I have a used 2008 SKS FOB (silver logo) The vehicle got totaled (no one hurt). I just purchased another 2008 but without SKS, and only 1 FOB (black logo)

So....If I take it to a dealer, can they reseed to where both the Silver FOB and the Black FOB work on the same vehicle? ( I already tried programming a NEW amazon fob, but it wouldn’t take, probably because of the “5 FOB” limit)

Thanks for the help

2. PriusLord

PriusLord Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm no FOB expert but the silver fob is for smart key functionality and the black key is for non-smart key functionality if you tried programing the silver key (smart function) for the car that has the black logo (non-smart function) then from my understanding no it would not matter if you took it to the dealer and asked them to reprogram the computer to accept the key as the programming for the keys are meant for two different systems and you would also might lose some functionality from the key itself.
    Here is a forum post where someone has programmed an SKS for a non-SKS car.
    The easiest solution I see would be to get the right key for the right car.